• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svennn

Oct 20, 2017
    I have a few questions about handgun ownership.

I'm trying to navigate the Maryland laws and they do seem somewhat obtuse. I'm trying to boil it down as simple as I can.

As I understand it I would need to get an HQL if I wanted to go down to my local shop and buy a regulated firearm. Simple. The question I have is, would I need an HQL to possess a handgun?

So hypothetically speaking, lets say I have an old revolver. It has been in a box for 20 years and I now want to start target shooting at the range I just joined. Do I need an HQL for transport to the range? Do I need to register it?

I think the answer is no to both but I'm not sure.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    No HQL needed to possess a previously-owned handgun. No HQL needed to transport to/from range.

IANAL, but there you go.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At least not until the 2018 MGA bend us over and ride us dry session begins.

They could issue HPLs. Handgun Possession Licenses. Or HRLs. Handgun Registration Licenses.

These new post/member questions get more convoluted and suspect each time they're asked.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    At least not until the 2018 MGA bend us over and ride us dry session begins.

They could issue HPLs. Handgun Possession Licenses. Or HRLs. Handgun Registration Licenses.

These new post/member questions get more convoluted and suspect each time they're asked.

0b404-oddballkellysheroes2t1.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Didn’t he have like eight felony convictions? We need more gun laws for criminals to break!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 felony convictions sentenced to 25 years reduced to 2 served one then home confinement, violated parole multiple times, caught and released in Maryland as a prohibited person in possession of a firearm, etc. etc.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    15 felony convictions sentenced to 25 years reduced to 2 served one then home confinement, violated parole multiple times, caught and released in Maryland as a prohibited person in possession of a firearm, etc. etc.

...and I, a law-abiding, lifelong resident of Maryland, without so much as a parking ticket, am told that I need an HQL to purchase a handgun - where's the justice?

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

I'm trying to navigate the Maryland laws and they do seem somewhat obtuse. I'm trying to boil it down as simple as I can.

As I understand it I would need to get an HQL if I wanted to go down to my local shop and buy a regulated firearm. Simple. The question I have is, would I need an HQL to possess a handgun?

So hypothetically speaking, lets say I have an old revolver. It has been in a box for 20 years and I now want to start target shooting at the range I just joined. Do I need an HQL for transport to the range? Do I need to register it?

"hypothetically speaking,"
    This is just one of many questions ask by new members on the first post!
    What this and other question like this looks like is a member of the anti 2a crowd asking so they can gain info, too do with as they may!
    If I was you 1st thing go to new members and introduce yourself to the members!
    Then read the Thread "Maryland 2a" in the forum!
    Maybe also read the rules of the forum.

svennn

Oct 20, 2017
    "hypothetically speaking,"
    This is just one of many questions ask by new members on the first post!
    What this and other question like this looks like is a member of the anti 2a crowd asking so they can gain info, too do with as they may!
    If I was you 1st thing go to new members and introduce yourself to the members!
    Then read the Thread "Maryland 2a" in the forum!
    Maybe also read the rules of the forum.

I can assure you I'm not a member of the anti 2a crowd. I'm just trying to stay on the right side of the law. And that law seems to be open to interpretation.

Even on this thread I've had a "maybe" answer and and "you got it right" answer.

I'll go and introduce myself in the new members group now.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One question: How the HELL does that happen?

Certain law firms in Md. won't get repeat business if their clientèle isn't free to rape and pillage. I mean look, if he's locked up for 25 years versus 1, that's 25 missed opportunities.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

You don't need an HQL for possession or transportation to a range, only need an HQL to purchase a non-C&R handgun.

No need to register anything, unless you moved to Maryland after 2013 (you have 30 days after establishing residency)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Certain law firms in Md. won't get repeat business if their clientèle isn't free to rape and pillage. I mean look, if he's locked up for 25 years versus 1, that's 25 missed opportunities.

Not just Maryland, his 25 year sentence was in Delaware. :mad54:

Lets see in Maryland he was caught driving without a license and multiple traffic violations; the following year caught as a prohibited person with a handgun, handgun in a vehicle, illegal possession of a regulated firearm, and illegal possession of ammo. He also punched another employee at a former work place and threatened the owner; possible assault?

Since I am sure they did not give back his illegal handgun he must have gotten another one to commit the murders and since he could not qualify for an HQL he somehow illegally acquired at least two handguns since the law went into effect. So obviously we need more laws that people like him will ignore. That is why they are called CRIMINALS!

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since I am sure they did not give back his illegal handgun he must have gotten another one to commit the murders and since he could not qualify for an HQL he somehow illegally acquired at least two handguns since the law went into effect. So obviously we need more laws that people like him will ignore. That is why they are called CRIMINALS!

That's crazy talk. If you just apply more laws to the people who haven't committed crimes then you don't have any more crime. Just look at Chicago, Detroit, Balmer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom