• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think OC is asking for unpleasant encounters with the police, at least in MD. There are too many cell phones, too many people who assume that anyone carrying who is not in a uniform with a badge is up to no good. Discretion is the wisest course.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Someone on here posted "wear two different shoes one day and see how many people notice, not many" .
    I DID THAT ONCE! I was changing from my work boots to my street shoes, phone rang, I took the call, got all tied up with that issue, hung up, was past my quitting time so I went out to Jeep, drove to pickup my girls for dinner, got out of Jeep and realized had boot on one foot, shoe on other. Had to drive from Reisterstown, to Hampstead, change to a matching pair, have dinner back to R-town to drop daughters off, back home to Hampstead!

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I open carry (uncover pistol) while driving, makes it easier to access firearm while seated, but I pull shirt over firearm before I get out of Jeep. Outside of house, vehicle, I keep it concealed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I DID THAT ONCE! I was changing from my work boots to my street shoes, phone rang, I took the call, got all tied up with that issue, hung up, was past my quitting time so I went out to Jeep, drove to pickup my girls for dinner, got out of Jeep and realized had boot on one foot, shoe on other. Had to drive from Reisterstown, to Hampstead, change to a matching pair, have dinner back to R-town to drop daughters off, back home to Hampstead!

Andy Dufresne agrees.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Unless I'm driving short distances, I unholster and put my firearm in a holster velcroed to the transmission tunnel and almost against my driver's seat...or in the door pocket. Driving while wearing is asking for back problems and or seat belt hang ups (for right handed users). I did buy a couple cross draws many years ago for traveling but alas, the P250 has been relegated out of the rotation and the Model 29 is just too damn big for me and the truck.

FTR, I carry all of the time. Most often it's a carry size 1911. If my back is bothering me too much, I'll pocket carry a revolver. There are some days I carry a G19 just because it wears different and prints much less. I'm not an IWB guy for the most part but I do occasionally. I'm a dinosaur to some extent because I like leather more than kydex. I rarely carry without a reload.

I had a great conversation with Blaster when we had the Pig Roast. I too find fascinating how many folks gravitate to these discussions about wear and carry...in a MARYLAND SHOOTERS forum. While I appreciate there are many folks (from varying backgrounds and experience levels) here, it's evident that some folks aren't W&C enabled/experienced yet they have either strong opinions or silly questions that someone who routinely wears N carries knows intrinsically based on ingrained habits. It's just curious to watch these play out. There is benefit to them but they enjoy some glorious "train wreck" symptoms...

After most of a career in DC (commuting from north of Annapolis and into SW DC), I will now acknowledge I never travelled unarmed. I had a lovely SW 19 and a couple of speed loaders tucked away pretty good yet still "at hand". That provided an awful lot of solace and comfort.

Decisions about if, how or where/wear are very personal. Risk tolerance and good sense should inform your deliberation and decision. What works for one is unlikely to work for all or even many.

YMMV

Decisions have consequences.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I see mentions of WV being open carry and I've seen folks in Delaware OC which raised no eyebrows what so ever from what I could tell.. My step mother was in the mid west and I believe AZ and no one even cared one bit when a citizen was OC'ing.. It's like this is a foreign country compared to many others even though "legal"

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I see mentions of WV being open carry and I've seen folks in Delaware OC which raised no eyebrows what so ever from what I could tell.. My step mother was in the mid west and I believe AZ and no one even cared one but when a citizen was OC'ing.. It's like this is a foreign country compared to many others even though "legal"
    It is exactly like this is a foreign country when compared to the examples you cited. Excellent observation.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    It is exactly like this is a foreign country when compared to the examples you cited. Excellent observation.

I swear everytime I go to the Conowingo dam, the plethora of Maryland bald eagles look rather depressed and it's becoming clear to me why

Attachments

• IMG_6423.jpg
      IMG_6423.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 249

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Correct. Maryland permit to carry handgun.

Regulation issued by Maryland State Police when permit is granted states:

"1. The following shall constitute cause for revocation of a permit.

A. Any indiscriminate display of a handgun and/or behavior by the permit
    holder which would result in undue apprehension of existing behavior
    by the general public while wearing, carrying or transporting a
    handgun."

Do you have a cite for that?

If OC was legally, by statute or regulation, a no no then would it not be in the Handgun Permit Regulations, Obligations and Responsibilities information sent with your permit?

MD Criminal law Article 4-203:

§4–203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person’s official equipment, and is:
    (i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;
    (iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;
    (iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;
    (v) a sheriff or full–time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or
    (vi) a temporary or part–time sheriff’s deputy;
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5–307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

§5–303.
    A person shall have a permit issued under this subtitle before the person carries, wears, or transports a handgun.

§5–307.
    (a) A permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person to whom the permit is issued.
    (b) The Secretary may limit the geographic area, circumstances, or times of the day, week, month, or year in which a permit is effective.

Attachments

• MSP Letter 101617290.jpg
      MSP Letter 101617290.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 207

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless there are other regs tucked away in some dusty volume, it reads like OC is probably perfectly legal, until the local police decide otherwise. Ten grand in legal fees later, you'll be just fine.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Do you have a cite for that?

If OC was legally, by statute or regulation, a no no then would it not be in the Handgun Permit Regulations, Obligations and Responsibilities information sent with your permit?

MD Criminal law Article 4-203:
    It doesn't matter anyway because open carrying holstered is not "indiscriminate display". If it were considered indiscriminate display then it would not be an allowed transport method for a non-permit holder to go to the range or other allowed activity.

Open carry in Maryland is certainly not unlawful, it is just not advisable.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It doesn't matter anyway because open carrying holstered is not "indiscriminate display". If it were considered indiscriminate display then it would not be an allowed transport method for a non-permit holder to go to the range or other allowed activity.

Let's just say that I had an incident on Saturday where I came into contact with some Deputy Sheriff's and had no issues.

boundless you can pm me for the details.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland

As I have stated in many posts in this and other threads about Open Carry vs Concealed. Why would you place yourself in that position of either LEO or threat involvement? Case it, Conceal it and go your merry way with no one the wiser till needed at the range or threat. Chris

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    This is why I am now training with a retention holster for concealed carry.

Doing a thousand dry fire draws a week (no ammo in room, safe direction, good backstop) to build muscle memory and speed of draw.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    This is why I am now training with a retention holster for concealed carry.

Doing a thousand dry fire draws a week (no ammo in room, safe direction, good backstop) to build muscle memory and speed of draw.

If Open carry was better criminals would do it

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    If you travel in states that have open carry (VA, DE) you will see many people open carrying and its no big deal. In states that don't allow open carry or restrict carry (MD), people "freak out" and think open carry is "bad". I think they feel this way because of the lack of carrying in general. Once it is allowed, it won't matter like you think it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom