• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Searched thru various threads most of which are rather old..
    Many of which seem to shun our fellow (legal) W&C holders for doing so, or for even having the thought of doing so, which I am sort of baffled by.
    I get it, somewhat.. Unwanted attention, possibly making yourself vulnerable by having your gun open in the case of a life/death situation (which I think at the same time could deter that situation in the first place)

-Does anyone find themselves open carrying on occasion?
    -Too much attention?
    -Issues with LEO before or even after producing your W&C permit?
    -What states, particularly neighboring states allow --OC with or without a resident/non resident permit?

My apologies in advance if this has been covered way too many times already

Last edited:

Dowtom

Nov 29, 2014
    Halethorpe
    I personally do not unless I'm on my property or just running to the car for something.

To me I just don't want the added attention it may bring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dowtom

Nov 29, 2014
    Halethorpe
    I open carry only when on my farm.

Marylandistan concealed carry permit requires that the firearm carried be concealed.

:gun1:
    Maryland doesn't have a concealed carry permit. We have a permit to carry a handgun. It doesn't state open or concealed

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    WV allows open or concealed carry without a permit. I opened carried my 357 a few times while hiking or fishing. Other than that its concealed for me but plenty of folks out here open carry.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    Maryland doesn't have a concealed carry permit. We have a permit to carry a handgun. It doesn't state open or concealed

Correct. Maryland permit to carry handgun.

Regulation issued by Maryland State Police when permit is granted states:

"1. The following shall constitute cause for revocation of a permit.

A. Any indiscriminate display of a handgun and/or behavior by the permit
    holder which would result in undue apprehension of existing behavior
    by the general public while wearing, carrying or transporting a
    handgun."

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I only open carry when I'm on my way to the range and back. Otherwise, I conceal it every time.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have always taken the position that concealed carry is best form, while open carry is a statement and cool but not the best as far as a tactical sense. LEO open carry as part of the authority they hold along with a badge but you will find that issued holsters will have some sort of retention device. For a civilian carrying open easy target for thugs as most civilians don't have the training LEO get with retaining weapon during an encounter. I know I'm about to get jumped on by others on the forum spouting 2A rights but I talking real life in the city in seeder areas where it's not walking around with a group in public. I carry almost everywhere I go concealed and I don't want people to know I'm armed. I feel it gives me the element of surprise if a threat advances. I even will conceal while on my own property as again it gives me the upper hand if a threat were to appear. Keep in mind I'm a 66 year white guy 165 lbs 5'6" nothing intimidating about me. Chris

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

handgun."
    No, I don't open carry in Maryland even at home (young kids).

FYI - Holstered open carry is NOT indiscriminate display. An individual WITHOUT a handgun permit can transport a handgun to the range in an enclosed holster unloaded. If this were considered indiscriminate display the law would not be written in this manner. Despite how the law is written we live in the land of leftist loonies and open carry loaded or unloaded is inadvisable.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have always taken the position that concealed carry is best form, while open carry is a statement and cool but not the best as far as a tactical sense. LEO open carry as part of the authority they hold along with a badge but you will find that issued holsters will have some sort of retention device. For a civilian carrying open easy target for thugs as most civilians don't have the training LEO get with retaining weapon during an encounter. I know I'm about to get jumped on by others on the forum spouting 2A rights but I talking real life in the city in seeder areas where it's not walking around with a group in public. I carry almost everywhere I go concealed and I don't want people to know I'm armed. I feel it gives me the element of surprise if a threat advances. I even will conceal while on my own property as again it gives me the upper hand if a threat were to appear. Keep in mind I'm a 66 year white guy 165 lbs 5'6" nothing intimidating about me. Chris
    The entire open carry = snatch and grab of your gun is nonsense. It doesn't happen at all in a statistically significant manner. A gold chain will be snatched from your neck long before a bad guy would consider snatching a gun from an openly armed individual.

I am still not big on open carry and only do it where one of my permits doesn't allow concealed carry but open carry is legal with no permit.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    The entire open carry = snatch and grab of your gun is nonsense. It doesn't happen at all in a statistically significant manner. A gold chain will be snatched from your neck long before a bad guy would consider snatching a gun from an openly armed individual.

Statistics are only as good as the reported events and how they are reported and to whom. As far Open Carry in let's say Baltimore City in northwestern area, walking down the street when a group of younger men up to no good want your gun, your done. They know how and where to attack as it's out in the open. Same group comes up, they think they have you as you have no visible weapon you pull your weapon game over they run. By the way the second is not a made up event, it happened to a fellow W&C holder. Chris

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

handgun."

Yep, another note added by MSP, to scare a new W&C permit holder, that has ABSOLUTELY no bases or support in Maryland State law. Can you say "Extreme over reach of their statutory authority".

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Indiscriminate display is not a crime. But this is MD. The leftist loons will call the police fwith a MWAG report. You'll then be cited for disturbing the peace by carrying to the terror of the public.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Indiscriminate display is not a crime. But this is MD. The leftist loons will call the police fwith a MWAG report. You'll then be cited for disturbing the peace by carrying to the terror of the public.
    Wearing an open carried holstered handgun is far from indiscriminate display anyway.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep, but you'll still catch a DTP charge anyway, until citizens understand armed citizens aren't cause for alarm.

I'll never live to see it here.

I have OC'd in many places outside MD and no one cares.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Statistics are only as good as the reported events and how they are reported and to whom. As far Open Carry in let's say Baltimore City in northwestern area, walking down the street when a group of younger men up to no good want your gun, your done. They know how and where to attack as it's out in the open. Same group comes up, they think they have you as you have no visible weapon you pull your weapon game over they run. By the way the second is not a made up event, it happened to a fellow W&C holder. Chris
    The same issues with reporting or not reporting apply to gold chain snatchings as well. So again snatch and grabs of openly carried firearms are statistically insignificant even when in "the hood". If criminals were that emboldened they would regularly be snatching guns from uniformed police officers. Yet they don't. It doesn't happen in any significant way. An armed presence is a significant deterrent to anyone other than an insane criminal. These are the types that will attempt to disarm anyone including a uniformed police officer. To argue against open carry on the basis of gun grabs is like arguing against going outside because lightning might strike you.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    yep, but you'll still catch a DTP charge anyway, until citizens understand armed citizens aren't cause for alarm.

I'll never live to see it here.

I have OC'd in many places outside MD and no one cares.
    If arrested the properly handgun permitted arrestee might be able to take advantage of the Nurse Wubbles retirement plan. Not worth it to me but someone may find value in it.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    If arrested the properly handgun permitted arrestee might be able to take advantage of the Nurse Wubbles retirement plan. Not worth it to me but someone may find value in it.

Lol!

Personally I don't know that I would ever open carry in Baltimore City.
    It's certainly something however I would be much more inclined to do with my Full size RIA 1911, Jericho, or other steel guns that I would like to rotate on occasion.
    This would typically be more so in my own backyard of Harford, northeast Baltimore and Cecil counties. Where some common sense conservative people still exist.

Attachments

• IMG_6415.jpg
      IMG_6415.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 415

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you don't know how to conveniently place your arm, spade your body away from "prying eyes", then you're doing it wrong.
    I fcking hate these threads, yet I fall for them. The paranoia of someone carrying is greater than the public's power of observation or care. Especially in Maryland.
    When you OC your awareness has to go up a bit and you have to finesse your presence. Concealed, well, you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom