• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think if he was just a lawyer doing his job, but had personal views that differed (like being pro-2A), he wouldn't have Gansler's blessing. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

We'll find out either way.

Would not be the first judge to bite the liberal hand when the chains were off.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I am personal friends with one of the assistant AG's ... yes, definitely, I would whole heartedly want someone who had served under Gansler & Frosh. But I'm pretty certain neither party would want my friend on the bench.

Would not be the first judge to bite the liberal hand when the chains were off.

Good points. I'll give it time and withhold judgement.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    I met Fader in Richmond after attending the en banc hearing. We saw each other on the street and he came over to introduce himself. We exchanged the obligatory pleasantries, but not much more. He seemed like a gentleman and was quite professional.

That being said, during the hearing; I was shaking my head at the rather lackluster presentation he was making. It seemed to me that his heart really wasn't in it. As Brian Frosh was sitting right behind him, I wondered if Fader's career with the AG's office was about to end. Just because you argue a case does not mean that you agree with it. When the boss gives you an assignment, you either do it or you decide whether you want to resign or be terminated.

It was curious that Frosh did not say a single word to the court. I suspect that Fader was being setup as the designated sacrificial lamb. If the state wins, Frosh takes credit. If the state loses, Frosh lets Fader take the heat.

Until Fader establishes a track record of his own, it is probably prudent to sit back, watch and listen.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Until Fader establishes a track record of his own, it is probably prudent to sit back, watch and listen.

I couldn't agree more.

I will also make one point on Hogan, giving him the benefit of the doubt: His election in 2014 was, partially, a result of Democrats voting against their own party (not just lack of voter turn-out). I do not know how many jumped ship that year, but it was enough to put Larry in office. One of the critical factors in this was his stance on Maryland's budgetary inadequacies and a very business friendly attitude. Democrats own businesses too, and I have spoken to many of them over the past two years who are openly thrilled with his results and plan on supporting him again in 2018.

If he wants to be reelected taking a hard line on 2A issues prior to a second inauguration...I think you can all see where I'm going with this.

This is not to say that he will ever be a champion of the people's rights, but I'll take my chances with him over anyone the donkeys expectorate out of their primary. In a second term he has a better chance at making a difference for his constituents, especially if enough people from communities like ours offer support along with opinions and concerns.

Just my 2¢.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I wrote a very respectable, polite email, requesting his position on the 2nd Amendment and if more laws would help with crime prevention. I did not play the anti or pro side of the argument, I just asked for his opinion on the matter.

As of today, I have not gotten a response. I haven't gotten an acknowledgement that he or someone in his office has received my email.

I think his silence speaks volumes.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    I wrote a very respectable, polite email, requesting his position on the 2nd Amendment and if more laws would help with crime prevention. I did not play the anti or pro side of the argument, I just asked for his opinion on the matter.

As of today, I have not gotten a response. I haven't gotten an acknowledgement that he or someone in his office has received my email.

I think his silence speaks volumes.

I am not certain, but I believe the the Judicial Code of Conduct more than likely precludes any judge from responding. To do so could get him/her disqualified from presiding over a trial. Perhaps even disbarred. Certainly, there is no up side for a judge to resond, no matter how polite the letter might be.

I will check on this to verify.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    Judicial Code of Conduct

Here is the answer per Jacina Stanton, Counsel for the Maryland Judicial Ethics Committee:

Judge are precluded from partisan political activity.

MARYLAND RULES
    TITLE 18. JUDGES AND JUDICIAL APPOINTEES
    CHAPTER 100. MARYLAND CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT
    RULES GOVERNING JUDICIAL INTEGRITY AND THE AVOIDANCE OF IMPROPRIETY

Rule 18-101.2 Promoting Confidence in the Judiciary (ABA Rule 1.2)

(a) Promoting Public Confidence. A judge shall act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the independence, integrity, and impartiality of the judiciary.

(b) Avoiding Perception of Impropriety. A judge shall act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the independence, integrity, and impartiality of the judiciary.

HISTORY: (Added June 6, 2016, effective July 1, 2016.)

Rule 18-102.4. External Influences on Judicial Conduct (ABA Rule 2.4)

(a) A judge shall not be swayed by public clamor or fear of criticism.

(b) A judge shall not permit family, social, political, financial, or other interests or relationships to influence the judge's judicial conduct or judgment.

(c) A judge shall not convey or permit others to convey the impression that any person is in a position to influence the judge.

Rule 18-104.2. Political Conduct of Judge Who Is Not a Candidate (ABA Rule 4.2)

(a) A judge who is not a candidate shall not engage in any partisan political activity.

(b) A judge shall resign when the judge becomes a candidate for a non-judicial office, except that a judge may continue to hold judicial office while a candidate for election as a delegate to a Maryland Constitutional Convention.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom