• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have a NIB Del Ton listed in the classifieds. Send me a pm if you are interested/ have questions.

Also have an LWRC piston upper listed. I wouldn't really suggest this as your first, but crazier things have happened.

All other suggestions are good as well. I have had good experiences with PSA, Engage, BCM, Colt, Del Ton and LWRC.

You are certainly in the buyers market. Just make sure to allocate your budget for an optic, mags, sling and ammo as well.

Good luck!

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Check out Hanover Armory. They are off of Dorsey road near the airport. Lots of AR parts, uppers,and they custom build as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You have a multitude of options in your price range, for both .223/ 5.56/ Wylde , or .308 ( and more cals if inclined). Actually that price range gives you options from budget , up to starting into higher end/ custom. You will see lots of recomendations here for Engage . In addition to a good selection of the usual suspects, they are a Mfg, and can cheerfully build you one of their rifles to your exact preferences .

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm a big fan of the del tons too, had one for years and just built another one for less than 500 bucks. Both have run flawlessly and I've found their customer service to be great. That said I'm sure any of the suggestions so far would be a good choice. I always find it helpful to go pick guns up in person and see how they feel, that might sway you in one direction too

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Engage has a huge selection of AR's in their shop and is definitely worth the drive. They carry many different brands and can also build to your specs. They'll treat you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on Engage. Definitely worth the drive to check them out. I've bought several firearms from them and they are great.

I also bought an AR10 from Duffy's and they were great too. I recall that they also had a great selection of AR's so you might want to check them out too.

I agree that 5.56/223 is the way to go with one's first AR.

www.duffysguns.com

Enjoy!

Cal68

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    My 2 cents: don't make the poor guy spend big bucks on an LWRC for his first AR.....there are so many solid choices at good prices right now.....

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Colt 6721.

My first was a Rock River and then I bought a used Police trade-in 6721.

I took both to Chad (Clandestine) for work: The Rock River wasn't staked properly from the factory and I wanted the 20 year old Colt checked out due to it's age and unknown history.

After spending the morning with Chad as he worked on both rifles and kept using Colts as his benchmark for an well built, excellent off-the-shelf AR, I went out the very next week and bought another 6721, a brand new one to go along with the older Police trade in and never looked back.

When I hear people refer to other ARs as "being as good as a Colt" I always wonder why they just didn't buy a Colt to begin with.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    My 2 cents: don't make the poor guy spend big bucks on an LWRC for his first AR.....there are so many solid choices at good prices right now.....

Any other recommendations? I think I'm more of a flat top rail fan now that I dig into it.

Gym rats seems to have ruger at pretty often for just under $500, check them out

That is the weirdest amalgamation of a store I've ever seen haha

Colt 6721.

My first was a Rock River and then I bought a used Police trade-in 6721.

I took both to Chad (Clandestine) for work: The Rock River wasn't staked properly from the factory and I wanted the 20 year old Colt checked out due to it's age and unknown history.

After spending the morning with Chad as he worked on both rifles and kept using Colts as his benchmark for an well built, excellent off-the-shelf AR, I went out the very next week and bought another 6721, a brand new one to go along with the older Police trade in and never looked back.

When I hear people refer to other ARs as "being as good as a Colt" I always wonder why they just didn't buy a Colt to begin with.

I get the prestige behind Colt as a baseline, but I'm not sure the 6721 is for me. Any other recommendations in the Colt lineup? I might be dumb, but can the handguard and carrying handle be replaced?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I get the prestige behind Colt as a baseline, but I'm not sure the 6721 is for me. Any other recommendations in the Colt lineup? I might be dumb, but can the handguard and carrying handle be replaced?

The 6721 doesn't come with a carry handle. I believe it comes with a Magpul rear sight.

The handguard can easily be replaced with a variety of options that pop in.

Ultimately you will end buying more AR's. This is an excellent option that needs nothing out of the box and can be a good starter rifle. Remember, you can buy different uppers later. You may choose to build your own. Several members would probably help you do it.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    The 6721 doesn't come with a carry handle. I believe it comes with a Magpul rear sight.

The handguard can easily be replaced with a variety of options that pop in.

Ultimately you will end buying more AR's. This is an excellent option that needs nothing out of the box and can be a good starter rifle. Remember, you can buy different uppers later. You may choose to build your own. Several members would probably help you do it.

My bad, basic google searches kept showing some version with one of those raised handles.

Rc29b1

Jul 24, 2017
    Kent island
    Armalite

I just bought my first ar15 a couple months ago.. i was on a budget so i ended up with an armalite ar15. $699 i just had to add a rear sight to make it ready to shoot. Other than that very basic. Hbar. And can be customized however you like. Im very happy with it for the price. I mean armalite pretty much invented this type of rifle. It's considered a .223 wylde which shoots both 223 and 556 safely. I took it the range and shot very accurate at 100 yrds with iron sights.
    As far as a range is concerned i live on kent island and have been going to delmarva sporting clays range. Its about an hour from here and probably 1 1/2 from annapolis. Its outdoors and has all kinda of distances. $20 all day per person.
    VA ranges seem to be crowded and about $20 per hour.
    I would suggest actually going to deleware to get your mags. Similar distance to Virginia but less traffic.
    Hope that helps!

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    I just bought my first ar15 a couple months ago.. i was on a budget so i ended up with an armalite ar15. $699 i just had to add a rear sight to make it ready to shoot. Other than that very basic. Hbar. And can be customized however you like. Im very happy with it for the price. I mean armalite pretty much invented this type of rifle. It's considered a .223 wylde which shoots both 223 and 556 safely. I took it the range and shot very accurate at 100 yrds with iron sights.
    As far as a range is concerned i live on kent island and have been going to delmarva sporting clays range. Its about an hour from here and probably 1 1/2 from annapolis. Its outdoors and has all kinda of distances. $20 all day per person.
    VA ranges seem to be crowded and about $20 per hour.
    I would suggest actually going to deleware to get your mags. Similar distance to Virginia but less traffic.
    Hope that helps!

I keep forgetting DE is a good spot. Shit, I have a cop bud that lives there and can just bring me 30rd mags when he comes to go out downtown.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Colt 6721 is never a bad choice . There is a reason it is the standard that all other AR's are judged . ( Clandestine aka Chad is in a position to have an informed professional opinion, and he speaks highly of Colt's QC compared to competing AR's .)

Not saying they are bad rifles compared to their direct competition , but the company doing business as Armalite in recent years has no lineage to the Armalite Division of Fairchild Industries that developed what became the AR . Today's Armalite traces lineage to what was known as Eagle Arms 25-ish years ago .

Not saying that's inherently bad . Eagle Arms was one of the pioneers in establishing the non-Colt AR-15 industry .

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fine Print #1 - A lower purchased by itself requires a 77R , 7 day weight, etc , while a complete HBAR rifle is same day cash & carry .

Detail #1 - Cheaper than Dirt catagorically declines to sell firearms to Maryland residents .

Detail #2 - The short paragraphs in the links for the Uppers, I didn't see the word "heavy" . It was implied. But Hanover Armory is Maryland based, and should know .Perhaps the longer product description includes the word Heavy .

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I keep forgetting DE is a good spot. Shit, I have a cop bud that lives there and can just bring me 30rd mags when he comes to go out downtown.
    Technically speaking, as I understand it, your bud bringing mags to you is no good, since that'll be considered a transfer within MD.
    You need to physically go out of the MD border and get the mags. So, meeting your bud beyond MD border is good even if it's just over the bridge, just as you going to a DE gun shop.
    My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom