• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I was surprised today that I got my denial in only 83 days rather than the 120+ I'd been told to expect by the investigator...
    I've been following the HPRB threads but it's now time to try and make some meetings in person whilst I prepare my appeal around xmas 2018 when they get through the queue....
    Dammit, I'm a reasonable person but I'm somewhat disgruntled (major understatement) today!

Make sure you request your whole packet with a PIA request to the MSP.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    Update - my retired Navy friend got his back. He works for a defense contractor. His restriction reads that he is authorized to carry as long as he is employed as a DOD contractor by XXXXXX (name of his employer). He is not in the physical security business - he's a retired submarine Master Chief.

He used OPM breech, ISIS and access to TS/SCI as his justification.

He had his MSP interview a couple weeks after he mailed in his application and received his cards a couple weeks after his interview. I was listed as one of his references and they did call and conduct a short interview with me.

What I don't like about that restriction is that as a contractor a person might change companies for any sort of reason. Then you have to go and get a modification. And as stated in other threads even if you leave the cleared world you are still bound to protect the information and still could be technically at risk.

Chinrednek

Jul 3, 2012
    There states that recognize a UT non-resident permit and not a VA and vice versa. I think after all said and done having both brings you up from 32 with UT to 36 with UT and VA. Don't quote me on the numbers...

mxskater25

Jul 31, 2016
    Sorry if this has been answered but as active duty military I know I'm exempt from the wear and Carry training. What all should i put in my packet and where do you go to get fingerprints done.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    FWIW two active duty friends just got approved for MD concealed carry.

Both used OPM breach, TS/SCI access, an ISIS as their justification.

Another two retired Navy guys have completed their interviews using the same justification (word for word as the two active duty guys) and are waiting to hear back from MSP.

Well ain't that a bitch. I applied using the same exact reasoning and was denied.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Did they give you an exact reason that you were denied? Was it because your rep would not verify your clearance?

And have you appealed to the HPRB?

I'm no longer in the military.

In my eyes I'm still at risk. My clearance is still active and I use it for my job. My information was compromised during the 2015 hack.

Obviously I sent in an appeal.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm no longer in the military.

In my eyes I'm still at risk. My clearance is still active and I use it for my job. My information was compromised during the 2015 hack.

Obviously I sent in an appeal.

Wouldn't you still have a rep even if you are a civvy contractor?

And no, it was not obvious that you sent in an appeal, my Magic 8 Ball is in the shop.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Wouldn't you still have a rep even if you are a civvy contractor?

And no, it was not obvious that you sent in an appeal, my Magic 8 Ball is in the shop.

I'm sorry. They denied my permit because I'm no longer in the military. Yes my clearance was verified.

I just figured it went without saying I sent in an appeal if I was posting on a gun board...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm sorry. They denied my permit because I'm no longer in the military. Yes my clearance was verified.

I just figured it went without saying I sent in an appeal if I was posting on a gun board...

No worries, you would be surprised at how many have been denied and don't realize that they can appeal or have a shot at winning if they do.

How long ago was this if you don't mind saying?

GlockxRob

Jul 24, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just wanted to update everyone on my permit process thus far.

I went to my informal review where 1SG sustained the denial back in July. I immediately reacted asking for a HPRB hearing (formal hearing) which I complete this past tuesday (OCT 3). The Board saw fit that I indeed had G&S and overturned the MDSP to issue an unrestricted permit. G&S can be found below. Thanks.

1. For any lawful purpose;

2. OPM data breach, Due to the recent hacking of the Office of Personnel Management System database, which I am apart of, is currently being sold Online which contains all but not limited to the following information contained on the SF86; A. Current security clearances held, B. current address of work, C. current address of residence, D. physical description as well as immediate family members, E. military history. F. Full name, G. Social Security number, H. date and place of birth, educational background, employment history, personal foreign travel, other information about immediate family as well as business and personal acquaintances and other information used to conduct and adjudicate background investigations. (See documentation attached);

3. Current military member (US Army Officer) See DD-214;

4. Work at fort Belvoir (targeted by: ISIS and other radicalized groups);

5. DOD Secret clearance ;

6. DOJ security clearance (pending adjudication);

7. DOD credentials always on person (PIV/Access card);

8. DOJ credentials always on person (ATF PIV/Access card);

9. Recent attacks on Law-Enforcement Officers and Military members from radicalized groups;

10. lawfully protect family and self outside of my home and while traversing the state of Maryland;

11. Credit cards exceeding $20,000 USD;

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I went to my informal review where 1SG sustained the denial back in July. I immediately reacted asking for a HPRB hearing (formal hearing) which I complete this past tuesday (OCT 3). The Board saw fit that I indeed had G&S and overturned the MDSP to issue an unrestricted permit. G&S can be found below. Thanks.

2. OPM data breach, Due to the recent hacking of the Office of Personnel Management System database, which I am apart of, is currently being sold Online which contains all but not limited to the following information contained on the SF86; A. Current security clearances held, B. current address of work, C. current address of residence, D. physical description as well as immediate family members, E. military history. F. Full name, G. Social Security number, H. date and place of birth, educational background, employment history, personal foreign travel, other information about immediate family as well as business and personal acquaintances and other information used to conduct and adjudicate background investigations. (See documentation attached);

9. Recent attacks on Law-Enforcement Officers and Military members from radicalized groups;

10. lawfully protect family and self outside of my home and while traversing the state of Maryland;

I know which one you were, you had some quality representation. Congrats and welcome to the club!

straightravage

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 17, 2017
    HPRB Help

GlockxRob,

I wanted to see if I could pick your brain, I am using the same reasoning as you did. My HPRB is coming up soon, I read a post about having representation....could you tell me what that was? Did it help your process? Do you feel the representation was the main factor for getting the denial over turned?

Feel free to PM me I'd really appreciate it!

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    W&C story

Mil retired from uniform. Working almost 10 years now for DAF, same office but in civvies. Similar story. Requested first of Feb 17. First interview end of May (Charles Ewing). Didn't hear anything else. Called around 25 July. Was told it was denied and letter sent 29 June, which I did not get. They did send a duplicate. Filed for review at both LD and Board. Met with 1Sgt at LD 3rd week of Sep (original denial letter came in mail that same week). Very cordial meeting, however denial was sustained. Had same OPM breech concerns - I received the same letter, probably not articulated as well as what I read here. Secret clearance. Move aircraft all over globe for employing airpower. ISIS. Top 3 GS rate. Phone interviewed 7 of my coworkers including a Director and two different Security Officers - one a police officer now serving on active duty. Work on Andrews. I know I am a target. I have more than 35 years working for the AF in uniform and as a civilian, all in Logistics. I have watched people watching me when I drive off the base. Suffer from Degenerative Disk Disease -- 20% disabled from VA. Major surgery on it last year and now sport a back full of titanium. Will never run again and may not fair well if attacked. Family to watch over. I have been targeted by mail mentioning my family by name after a different security issue in the 90's so I know how it feels -- that was turned over to OSI. Today this is serious. Did not matter - reasons were not good enough. I am now waiting on the board. Got my date for that yesterday -- 6 Feb 2018. It will be a year at that point. I am well trained, have my own range set up and use it regularly. Can carry in nearly 30 states, but not my home state. I have never felt the need for protection as I do now with all of the atrocities going on against our responders in blue, red and green, and common citizens. Trying now to figure out what is a good and substantial reason if ability to protect one's self and family is not good enough. Stay safe and vigilant.
    Peace all ---

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom