• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The PIN thing got a little confusing. I'm just glad the shop I'm going to will have a computer to do it on. This is assuming you still have to fill out new MD forms per every purchase.

My shtick for gun shop browsing is totally random a few times a year, if I'm in the immediate area, and have time. I'm most likely not inclined to put any effort planning a visit or pre fill out any forms.

Maybe if there's mobile access I would sit in a vehicle and do it on my phone, but probably not.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I'm most likely not inclined to put any effort planning a visit or pre fill out any forms.

IF, a big IF, it ends up working properly, it will benefit me, since my go-to FFL is 40 miles away. It'll be nice to have to only make the trip once. But, me being just one person, and with the MSP 77R related issues I have personally had doing everything in person, and 100% legal...I have zero faith in this upcoming online debacle.

I feel sorry for whomever gets the job of phone support...lol. :lol2:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Ok I got it. You fill it out online, and then you can tell your FFL the PIN, over the phone, email.

But Chevelle, how does your shop handle the federal 4473? Thats not going to be online as what was told to me. I always thought the federal form needed to be done at the same time the MD paperwork

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    How are you coming up with only one trip to the dealer? If you're there and decide to purchase a gun, you still have to go back to pick it up unless you're purchasing online and doing a transfer or you already know which gun the FFl has in stock and you want that one.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    This does not sound like a well thought out process. I wonder how many months this is going to delay approvals until they can fix it or just go back to the paper system. Maybe when this doesn't work we can get them to get rid of the 77R process all together! As if!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• pigs.jpg
      pigs.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 776

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm guessing no, since the portal was designed for FFL's. But perhaps the barracks will use it as well.

good question though.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Ok I got it. You fill it out online, and then you can tell your FFL the PIN, over the phone, email.

But Chevelle, how does your shop handle the federal 4473? Thats not going to be online as what was told to me. I always thought the federal form needed to be done at the same time the MD paperwork

That's the cash & carry form, rifle a.k.a. unregulated firearm form, correct? The 77R is just for regulated firearms.

How are you coming up with only one trip to the dealer? If you're there and decide to purchase a gun, you still have to go back to pick it up unless you're purchasing online and doing a transfer or you already know which gun the FFl has in stock and you want that one.

My FFL, JLowesGuns, is not a "store" per se.
    Like you said, when I contact him, it's because I already know what I want to buy. He orders it, if not in stock, and then 2 trips...one for the 77R, one for the pickup...That's how it is NOW. If this online thing works, I'll just need to travel there for the physical pickup of the firearm.

If the FFL enters your pin to fill in their portion of the form, when do you pay the MSP with your credit card?

I'm going to say that you pay when you do the form. Just like now. You pay for the application now, so whether you are approved or not...they are going to get their money.

This does not sound like a well thought out process. I wonder how many months this is going to delay approvals until they can fix it or just go back to the paper system. Maybe when this doesn't work we can get them to get rid of the 77R process all together! As if!

Nothing is, as far as Maryland, the MSP, and our RIGHT to buy/own firearms...:mad54:

Will this have any effect on the Face to Face at the MSP barracks?

Nicole, at the MSP Licensing Division told me specifically, that private sales would also use this same online process...

I asked her this exact question the last time I spoke to her...roughly 3 weeks ago.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no it's because they used to mail everything. faxes and the Internet changed that. Like many other things, laws don't keep up with technology

IF i own 10 guns, what is one more gonna do to help me cool down?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, but you still have to fill out a Federal 4473 for handguns. My FFL told me the Federal form is not going to be online in the states system, and why would it? It's not a Maryland .gov document.

Since MSP does the background check, someone has write something on the Federal form that you were good to go. Authorization code that comes back from the MSP background, whatever it is?

Does the MD handgun transfer documents: 77r, mental health form and Federal 4473 have to be filled out at the same time? I always thought yes.

I dont see how 1 visit to the shop is going to work, as in MD forms filled out online with the PIN delivered to the FFL, 8 days and go pick up the gun and fill out a Federal 4473. Don't see that happening but I might be wrong.

In other words, I don't see how MSP can do your background if you did not complete the required Federal form in addition to the state paperwork to buy a handgun.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I've never filled out anything but the 3 (or 4 when making a multi gun purchase) pages of the MSP 77R, and the Mental Health check permission, for any handgun I've ever bought, sold, or traded, to or from any person, or to or from any FFL.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You don't get copies of the 4473, the gun dealer keeps the the only copy that you fill out.

Federal:

4473 is the white paper you fill personal info in, Yes/No to a bunch of questions and open up and sign inside.

Maryland:

77r is yes/no with initials. Multiple pages of Pink

The mental health is the other white one side piece of paper you fill personal info on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom