• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hand delivered my wear and carry permit renewal this past Tuesday (I was gong to be in the area later anyway), the 17th.

Let's see how long this takes.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I hope it goes well. I'm not renewing. I'm no longer a member of the special class since doctors are no longer listed. Plus I've never carried as my restrictions make it very clear I basically can't carry. No gray area there. I'm not risking forfeiture of my 2A rights.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    I hope it goes well. I'm not renewing. I'm no longer a member of the special class since doctors are no longer listed. Plus I've never carried as my restrictions make it very clear I basically can't carry. No gray area there. I'm not risking forfeiture of my 2A rights.

Curious, what were your specific restrictions?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I thought this might be of interest to some. I submitted my second renewal on July 28. Check was cashed on August 8. I received my renewed permit today September 29. Less than 2 months. I was very surprised at how quickly the process was this time.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I thought this might be of interest to some. I submitted my second renewal on July 28. Check was cashed on August 8. I received my renewed permit today September 29. Less than 2 months. I was very surprised at how quickly the process was this time.

Did you have to do subsequent training of 8 hrs to renew?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Did you have to do subsequent training of 8 hrs to renew?
    No, that is a one time thing only. I did include a copy of my certificate in my renewal packet from when I originally did the training though, just to be safe. I try to send in as detailed and thorough application as I can just to try and avoid any issues. When I had my original permit interview the Trooper told me there is no such thing as too much detail in your app. Just make sure to give the proper details.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    You must do the 8 hour renewal course with qualification for every renewal. It is not a one time thing, has to be done each time you renew.

TD

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Once you have successfully completed the renewal training once or any other qualifying handgun course you then become exempt per#5 below.

Information below was copy and pasted from the MSP Wear and Carry Permit Training page.

Who needs to take the training?
    Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt.

If you are any one of the below you are exempted.
    1.You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    2.You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    3.You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.
    4.You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.
    5.You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Once you have successfully completed the renewal training once or any other qualifying handgun course you then become exempt per#5 below.

Information below was copy and pasted from the MSP Wear and Carry Permit Training page.

Who needs to take the training?
    Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt.

If you are any one of the below you are exempted.
    1.You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    2.You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    3.You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.
    4.You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.
    5.You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

WTF? Instead of Wear & Carry 8 hour renewal you could just take 4hr HQL training????

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    WTF? Instead of Wear & Carry 8 hour renewal you could just take 4hr HQL training????
    It does seem pretty vague, but I believe for your initial permit and first renewal you have to take the mandatory 16 or 8 hour training designed for W&C permits.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    You guys that have renewed:

I am unclear on one point.

Do I need to send the financial data ( bank deposit verification ) like I did on initial application?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom