• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've read through the fiscal policy notes on about 2/3 of these. I am not sure I agree with the assumptions, but if logic and fiscal sanity prevailed a lot like the repeal of G&S would be passed. Some of the best testimony for these bills is in the fiscal policy note itself. The legislature is scrambling for revenue to put back education funding, well there is a few million here, plus MSP resources can be redirected to the forensics division by repealing the shell casing requirements.

I hope i live long enough to see logic prevail.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

Attachments

• shell casing history.jpg
      shell casing history.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 238

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just a thought before the hearings begin...

We see that, in all the bills that are in play, there is very little out there that is negative. We had a similar situation last year, but there is a difference.

Last year was a test, to see what our depth was like. We held tight, and came away with a draw, only one year after FSA13.

This year, I feel they know we're here to stay and have "deep depth", and determination.

The focus this year shouldn't be "what are we going to lose", mainly because there's little out there they're after. We are well-positioned to make gains, piggybacking on successes in the courts, and our continued presence in Annapolis.

Staying positive is important. Facts will matter most of all. Stay firm, stay respectful, make your points with determination.

I wish I could be there with you for testimony, but I have every confidence that we'll show well and make headway.

Thanks to all. Give'em what-for.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    sb0326 - this would allow the secretary to expire a permit any time they see fit? IE - one is granted for 2 years and then expired early. Or they decide all permits expire effective immediatly?

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2015rs&id=SB0326

I know the above scenarios are not the intention, but am thinking the wording may allow for it. Am I missing or misinterpreting something?

The bill is meant for PIs to get their carry permits to expire when their licenses doing, we have been working on an amendment to clarify what the purpose is for and for what group.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Something else to remember and, in my opinion, is the next step in our evolution.

These bills are still in play in committee unto and until the committee holds a vote. What does this mean?

It means that we do not stop talking to the committee members on these bills after the hearing date. If anything else, we work on visiting them in person to highlight points that have been presented in the hearings.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Mr. H. thanks to you and all others posting here. It makes it much easier to access information and prepare for testimony. Still hoping to make it tomorrow.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The bill is meant for PIs to get their carry permits to expire when their licenses doing, we have been working on an amendment to clarify what the purpose is for and for what group.

okay. Thanks for the info

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The fiscal policy notes just became available for these in the last few days. Not all of them are there, but they likely will be before the hearings.

Some contain some interesting stuff. From HB 39:
    <snip shell casings sumbission image>

Annual shell casing submissions up from 31K in 2013 to 58K in 2014! And the award for best firearms sale team in the history of MD goes to... Obama, Martin OweMalley, and company ;)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    So damn mad. Had an emergency at work today and now I have a hard deadline that cannot be missed at work tomorrow. Chances of getting to the hearing are now quite slim. :mad54:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    SB736 shell casing repeal, the committee schedule has it listed for hearing on 3/17, not 3/12. im not sure if this is a typo or oversight by our team, but i didnt see it mentioned in this thread

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Last call for folks to be part of the Gun Bill Senate Hearings TODAY at 1pm in Annapolis.

The SENATE building is the building directly BEHIND you as you face the visitor doors of the HOUSE building. You will be looking for the Senate Judiciary Proceedings Hearing Room. If you are standing in Lawyers Mall where we have the 2A rallies turn your back to the tall domed Statehouse and look down Rowe Boulevard-- the Senate building is just across the street when you look down Rowe Boulevard--the building on the left.

Again, bring your Driver's License and double check that you are not bringing pocket knives or small keychain knives. Arriving at the Senate Building by noon gives you a chance to get through the metal detectors and to meet your fellow MDS members in the area outside the hearing room.

I will be there to post developments from the room in our play-by-play format on the "Play-by-Play" thread. It's great when I can identify MDS forum members so please say hello if you can. I will be wearing a 2nd Amendment hangtag with Rack&Roll on it and will be attired in a black shirt and gray slacks and be tapping away on my silver Apple laptop.

Please attend even if you do not wish to testify. Just by looking, the Senators can discern the difference between the lobbyists and the regular folks and a good turnout always helps our side.

See you there!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The fiscal policy notes just became available for these in the last few days. Not all of them are there, but they likely will be before the hearings. Some contain some interesting stuff. From HB 39: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/fnotes/bil_0009/hb0039.pdf

I don't understand this graphic. Is it showing that more handguns were sold in calendar year 2014 than previous years? This is hard to believe given the number of HQL's issued.

A few thoughts:

2013 should be the highest year in recent years.
    Maybe it should show as FY 2014?
    Perhaps they show an increase to defend the program?

Completely off topic but... Is anyone checking written testimony to see if MSP is submitting objections to bills? There was no oral testimony against any of the bills on Tuesday, am wondering if they are remaining silent or just submitting written testimony, which I believe they did last year to undermine our efforts.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't understand this graphic. Is it showing that more handguns were sold in calendar year 2014 than previous years? This is hard to believe given the number of HQL's issued.

A few thoughts:

Completely off topic but... Is anyone checking written testimony to see if MSP is submitting objections to bills? There was no oral testimony against any of the bills on Tuesday, am wondering if they are remaining silent or just submitting written testimony, which I believe they did last year to undermine our efforts.

Fiscal year starts on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the next year, so FY 2014 started July 1, 2013 and ended on June 30 2014.

So those numbers took into account all of the firearms sold from July 1, 2013 until Sept 31, 2013 (All before FSA2013 took affect).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Fiscal year starts on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the next year, so FY 2014 started July 1, 2013 and ended on June 30 2014.

So those numbers took into account all of the firearms sold from July 1, 2013 until Sept 31, 2013 (All before FSA2013 took affect).

I wondered the same thing. It would seem completely logical this was FY not calendar year, except for the text in the title ("Calendar 2000-2014"). I figured it's a typo myself.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

I completely understand the definition of fiscal year in MD...

The header on the graphics says "Calendar 2000-2014" Thus my notes.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Last call for folks to be part of the Gun Bill Senate Hearings TODAY at 1pm in Annapolis.

The SENATE building is the building directly BEHIND you as you face the visitor doors of the HOUSE building. You will be looking for the Senate Judiciary Proceedings Hearing Room. If you are standing in Lawyers Mall where we have the 2A rallies turn your back to the tall domed Statehouse and look down Rowe Boulevard-- the Senate building is just across the street when you look down Rowe Boulevard--the building on the left.

Again, bring your Driver's License and double check that you are not bringing pocket knives or small keychain knives. Arriving at the Senate Building by noon gives you a chance to get through the metal detectors and to meet your fellow MDS members in the area outside the hearing room.

I will be there to post developments from the room in our play-by-play format on the "Play-by-Play" thread. It's great when I can identify MDS forum members so please say hello if you can. I will be wearing a 2nd Amendment hangtag with Rack&Roll on it and will be attired in a black shirt and gray slacks and be tapping away on my silver Apple laptop.

Please attend even if you do not wish to testify. Just by looking, the Senators can discern the difference between the lobbyists and the regular folks and a good turnout always helps our side.

See you there!

Thank you R&R. I just finished converting my oral testimony into written testimony and am going to drop it off this morning (20 copies) on my way (not really) in to work. I know I can't be there in person all day to testify, but do not want to miss the opportunity to get my input submitted. Should have planned on written in advance and oral both just in case, but really expected to be there all day until my emergency yesterday.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

A few thoughts:

any opinion from msp would have to be ordered by their superintendent, whom at this point in time still needs senate confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom