• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Actually, it appears Frau Dumais has been busy (along with some others of note), and is trying to clog up the hearings.

Some good ones too, it seems, but not a lot.

I'll have to dig into these, but might not have them tonight. Any assistance would be appreciated.

What assistance do you need?

Mr H

Banana'd
    What assistance do you need?

Simply, for folks to go over anything not on the list, and briefly mirror the short summary I did for all the rest.

The other thing we need, is for people to do any deeper analysis, and/or post up their thoughts/communications about the bills.

Just because there is no "beast" at this point, doesn't mean we have no reason to be up front about the bills that are out there.

These things are yours, folks... not just the .orgs

Nothing is going to change here without the force of We, the People. I know it seems trite, and some of you think we shot our wad in 2013, but the main thing in all of this is continual pressure.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    HB160 Hearing has been moved to this Thursday, Feb 19th I believe it will be at the end of the hearings.

This is being moved to accommodate Delegate Vitaly, whose last day as Delegate will be Friday, Feb 20th.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    HB0417

"Establishing that it is not a legitimate law enforcement purpose to use active or historical plate data captured by an automatic license plate reader system that indicates the owner of the vehicle has been issued a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun as the sole basis to stop and question the vehicle's driver.
    "

It is a bit disappointing this even has to be considered making law. I always thought cops had to have a reason to stop you. Currently they now consider cars registered to CCW holders fair game to be stopped? Has there ever been a case where a car was stopped for this sole reason? The bill is OK, and can be passed but it reminds me of guns laws, useless. Cop will come up with an alleged legitimate reason to stop you, then conveniently ask about guns. I read a story about a man near harbor tunnel having his car near ripped apart looking for a gun, no idea why that happened. I understand they did use the plates to see he was licenced in his state to carry. Point is, does this law even do anything to prevent what happened to him?

As far I as know CCW info is not listed in LPR hits. I have never had a hit for that when using a LPR, nor has anyone mentioned a hit for that to me. Even if it were it would not be a reason to conduct a traffic stop.

The law would not prevent what happened to the guy from FL. He was stopped for speeding and the probable cause to search the vehicle was from his wife telling the officer/trooper (don't remember which) that the husbands pistol was in the glove box after the husband denied having it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If only there were a bill that would allow Correctional Officers to carry concealed. I know some of you will say that everyone should be granted the right and I totally agree. However this is MD and we know that maybe a while coming if at all. I also know that some of you will remark that Correctional Officers are corrupt, etc. etc. and while there have been some and I'm sure there still maybe more, there are also corruption in other agencies. Even if there was a bill that allowed Correctional Officers who are weapons cadre to carry concealed, it would be a start. Some people don't realize that the threat from inmates doesn't stop once one leaves the wire. These guys have friends, family, and gang associates on the outside that can and will harm you and your family. Inmates can and do subpoena the courts to get officers' personal info such as addresses, copies of marriage licenses etc. and are granted them because of the Freedom of Information Act. I'm pretty sure they aren't doing that so they can send Christmas cards:mad54: Inmates view Correctional Officers as the "Police" and call them such. Many inmates have a hatred of those who tell them when to shower, when to eat, what they can and can't have etc. I just think its ridiculous that a weapons cadre officer can strap on a handgun and transport inmates to hospitals, courts, etc. anywhere in the state of Maryland, but once your shift is over you aren't "qualified" to be armed.
    Prior to the new training requirements it was easy for Corrections Officers to obtain handgun permits. What is it that you are having trouble with? Documented threats? MSP accepts generalized threats from incident reports. Ex. "I will kill all you CO's if I see you on the street". In my experience you can get enough incident reports in a single day in a jail or prison to easily qualify. They don't even have to be written by you. Yes the 16 hours sucks, yes the need for threats sucks. But it is still easier for a CO than for regular folks. Be thankful they aren't asking for your bank records. ;)

I am a former Corrections Officer and current Business Owner. The CO process was substantially easier and still is IMO.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    HB160 Hearing has been moved to this Thursday, Feb 19th I believe it will be at the end of the hearings.

This is being moved to accommodate Delegate Vitaly, whose last day as Delegate will be Friday, Feb 20th.

OK, I have more info on this. The hearing was moved to today with no testimony. The reason was to get this off of Del.Vitaly's plate and in the hands of the committee. It is now a committee bill and will be heard on Gun bill day on March 10th.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I am planning on being at both testimony days. I plan on testifying for HB767 and prepared a written statement with follow up citations (not read but in the submitted testimony). How many copies need to be made and when do they need to be submitted. I am also planning on testifying with the same testimony on SB100 so I will cross file this in that thread as well.

Thanks
    f_m

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Hb735 may. remove fopa protection from Md residents..

This may beproblem... a big one..

When I get to a real computer I will look at the full text.

Strike non resident and it should be redundant.. leave it in and MD can not leave the state while under fopa protection nor return..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    can't they do that now anyway? If you get stopped in MD while claiming out of state travel, but you can't articulate or prove you are engaged in a legal exception under 4-203, couldn't you face the same charge anyway?

what's changed?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    can't they do that now anyway? If you get stopped in MD while claiming out of state travel, but you can't articulate or prove you are engaged in a legal exception under 4-203, couldn't you face the same charge anyway?

what's changed?

OK have it your way. But now the law backs them..

It gives them PC. This bill is worded so as to guarantee an arrest.

An no you only have the burden of proof after they have PC.

Now they do by law. No risk of civil liability for the officer either.

And we gain nothing.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I'm not arguing with you. I just want an explanation of what this bill changes.

I need to look it over in detail. But it strongly implies that Md residents are presumed to be only engaged in intrastate transport.

Thanks to cell phone towers I am tracked 24x7.

I can prove where I was... but I don't want the state to get more power here.

Let's fix fopa federally.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hb735 may. remove fopa protection from Md residents..

This may beproblem... a big one..

When I get to a real computer I will look at the full text.

Strike non resident and it should be redundant.. leave it in and MD can not leave the state while under fopa protection nor return..

FOPA does not cover you in the starting state or the ending state anyway, so while traveling in MD, as a MD resident, you have to abide by state law. Once you leave MD FOPA applies to any state you travel through. Once you get to your destination state, that state's laws apply to you, not FOPA.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Want to find out with an expensive affirmative defense?

It gives every cop a pluasible way to claim FOPAdoes not apply and let the court figure it out...at our expense..

Just my thought..

It makes it clear that FOPA applies to those out of state that are traveling THROUGH the state. If their destination is in the State of MD, then ALL MD laws apply, not FOPA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom