• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • condor3004

Aug 12, 2014
    New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles. I'm at a loss with the current set of laws and having trouble finding advice how to proceed legally. First off...the move is a necessity and not an option. So before anyone says to stay in FL lets understand it's out of the question. And I know how to use a search engine, but most threads on the subject offer spotty/questionable advice and quickly take a turn. I've thought about asking the local law but reluctant to rely solely on this since anything offered may not be in my best interest.

So to begin with how does someone enter into MD with a trunk full of "evil" rifles? And supposing I arrive at my new home without being arrested what do I do next and how long do I have? Assuming I have to register everything how is it done and would it be better to put my collection into a "trust" before moving? Some of the rifles were purchased after your new laws took effect.

Thank you for your time and any constructive advice is appreciated.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Don't. Barring that, your rifles should be fine if they were purchased pre october 2013. Any post ban purchases would not be allowed into Ze Fatherland.

*edit*
    my comments obviously apply only to the EVIL specifically banned baby liquifying, nun killing machines. there's a list on the MSP website. Also realize the term "copycat" is a tough one to nail down and has lead to a lot of confusion.

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Would say "Don't!" but I gather there's already a commitment to move. So then I would advise you to start looking for the next job in another state!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We can always use more like minded folks in this state, lord know, all everyone else here knows how to talk to potential new folks is "don't" or "live in another state and commute", and don't even get me started on the "I'm moving" group.

With the above out of the way, transport them per FOPA, firearms stored separate from the ammo. Once you get settled, you have 90 days from establishing residency (Driver's license counts) to register all handguns, and any "banned" long guns, their copies or long guns that can be considered a copycat long gun (any two of a flash hider, folding stock, flare/grenade launcher).

One time fee of $15 to register all of them.

killborn

Jun 24, 2013
    Crownsville, MD
    We can always use more like minded folks in this state, lord know, all everyone else here knows how to talk to potential new folks is "don't" or "live in another state and commute", and don't even get me started on the "I'm moving" group.

With the above out of the way, transport them per FOPA, firearms stored separate from the ammo. Once you get settled, you have 90 days from establishing residency (Driver's license counts) to register all handguns, and any "banned" long guns, their copies or long guns that can be considered a copycat long gun (any two of a flash hider, folding stock, flare/grenade launcher).

One time fee of $15 to register all of them.

Agree with the advice here. I have just completed my move into the area from Texas and registered what I needed to. Fortunately I have nothing acquired prior to the new laws. You will need to look closely at the laws with regards to what you need to register (for me handguns, stripped lowers and Ar15's). No need to register weapons not on the ban/copy cat lists. Good luck with the move.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    before your register your guns register to vote, and help us in any way remove some of the more insane individuals that come up with the laws and taxes we have to suffer through in MD

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also realize the term "copycat" is a tough one to nail down and has lead to a lot of confusion.

Copycat is well defined in the law.

Centerfire semi-auto rifle that is:

Less than 29" long or;
    Has two of the "evil" features (folding stock, grenade launcher, or flash suppressor); or
    Non-detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds.

Copy or imitation is not defined in the law, however there is an AG letter that states that the copy must have fully interchangeable internal parts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) You don't have to live in MD to work in MD. And going from Norther VA to Annapolis would be going opposite most of the traffic.

2) Any firearm (except certain listed "assault pistols") are fine to bring in, IF they were purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013. If purchased on or after that date, you have to check the banned list and the definition of a "copycat". If they are either, they MAY NOT BE BROUGHT INTO THE STATE. Even to shoot at the range or in a competition.

3) If you do move and live in MD< and establish residency here (only ones who can live here without doing so are active duty military or full time college students), you have to register all handguns and now banned firearms within 90 days.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles.
    Some of the rifles were purchased after your new laws took effect.

If, after 1 OCT 2013, you bought weapons that are now banned in MD, you may not bring them into MD as-is. Period.

You may be able to bring them into MD if you can convert them to an NFA configuration first. If you have time.

You can also bring them in if they can be placed in a non-banned configuration. An AR15 bought in 2014, for instance, may be brought into MD if you replace the barrel with an HBAR first (assuming it doesn't have a heavy barrel already, in which case it's fine).

If you owned them prior to that date, you can bring them as-is but you must register them as regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Copycat is well defined in the law.

Centerfire semi-auto rifle that is:

Less than 29" long or;
    Has two of the "evil" features (folding stock, grenade launcher, or flash suppressor); or
    Non-detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds.

Copy or imitation is not defined in the law, however there is an AG letter that states that the copy must have fully interchangeable internal parts.

The fact that it is well defined by the law is not in contention. I state that it has led to confusion. And the 20 plus threads about it here on mds support that stated confusion.

condor3004

Aug 12, 2014
    Very informative.

Just supposing for a moment (and I'm not saying this is so...but) what if a gun was purchased after 10/01/2013. How would anyone know? Can someone supply a link to the registration form?

Thank you for all the replies.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The fact that it is well defined by the law is not in contention. I state that it has led to confusion. And the 20 plus threads about it here on mds support that stated confusion.

No, the confusion is people use the word "copycat" when they mean "copy or imitation."

The law clearly uses the words differently.

What is the confusion? People who cannot read?

Is it a centerfire semi-auto? If NO, NOT a copycat. If YES and a Rifle continue. If a Shotgun, skip to Shotgun below.
    Is it longer than 29"? If NO, it is banned. If YES, continue.
    Does it have two or more of the "evil features" (folding stock, flash suppressor, grenade launcher)? If YES, it is banned, if NO continue.
    Does it have a non-detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity? If YES, it is banned, if NO, not banned.

Shotgun

Does it have a folding stock? If YES, banned, if NO, continue.
    Does it have a revolving cylinder? If YES, banned, if NO, not banned.

There is also some confusion because people cannot take time to read the actual LAW. The original bills had other features (telescoping stock, forward pistol grip, thumbhole stock, etc). But the LAW has none of these.

A PTR-91 is not banned because it is a "copycat" it is banned because it is a "copy or imitation."

And yes, a firearm can be both, but if it is a "copy or imitation" of an item on the banned list, it doesn't matter if it is also a "copycat."

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Very informative.

Just supposing for a moment (and I'm not saying this is so...but) what if a gun was purchased after 10/01/2013. How would anyone know? Can someone supply a link to the registration form?

Link was posted above, but here it is again:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

You'll see a tiny link to MyLicense on that paragraph to start the process.

It would be incredibly difficult for someone to prove you didn't own a firearm prior to 10/1/13 and the burden is on the state. But if you choose to take that risk moving into the state, don't post it on a public forum... :innocent0

And welcome! We need more shooters in the state, and more voters to turn the tide. In spite of our awful gun laws and taxes, it's not a complete hellhole and you are in good company.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Very informative.

Here you go...

Attachments

• 157077352-MSP-77D-Mandatory-Registration-updated-7-22-13.pdf
      91.1 KB · Views: 1,056

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Your testicles on a steel door jamb must be placed, slammed upon them the 2" thick solid maple door must be 4 or 5 times; daily repeat you must until move here you do. Prepare you for the pain of Maryland in almost every aspect life it will......hmmmmm..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom