• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 26, 2014
    So I understand in Maryland AR have to have a heavy barrel and a 10 round magazine. Is there any other requirements for a MD legal AR-15. Also since there is a heavy barrel requirement does that restrict me from ordering a lower receiver and building my own AR

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    So I understand in Maryland AR have to have a heavy barrel and a 10 round magazine. Is there any other requirements for a MD legal AR-15. Also since there is a heavy barrel requirement does that restrict me from ordering a lower receiver and building my own AR

Sort of maybe. What ever you start with has to end up either an HBAR or a pistol. What the definition of an HBAR is and what dealers are selling sometimes maybe different. Talk to dealers to find out their interpretation.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Your best bet is to find one of our Industry Partners (IPs) near you and speak with them about what they will sell.

Short answers though:

The minimum length on the barrel is 16", it can be longer.

Magazine - you can only buy 10 rounders in MD, but you can go out of state, and buy them as large as you like and bring them back totally legally.

Lower - This is pretty dynamic situation. As of this time last week, no lowers were allowed to be sold in MD at all. Recently, the MSP have said that they will allow for lowers to be sold, but they must be made into a non-banned configurations, which is as of this time a HBAR rifle, probably a pistol or SBR too.

The answer to the question of what is legal to buy in Maryland is basically, what will a local gun store sell you at this time.

Apr 26, 2014
    So I basically should assume I can't but AR lowers unless they came off a hbar AR or are found in a gun store. That kinda sucks cause I was thinking of buying a PSA or RRA lower

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So I basically should assume I can't but AR lowers unless they came off a hbar AR or are found in a gun store. That kinda sucks cause I was thinking of buying a PSA or RRA lower

You can buy a lower online, but it must be shipped to a local FFL. Dealers charge transfer and background check fees if you choose this route.

It may be worth your while to buy a lower from a local dealer instead.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie

If you speak with the store before doing so, many will allow you to buy the lower you want and have it shipped to them, then transferred to you. They will charge you for this service.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    You can now buy a stripped lower in MD.

Option 1: Build it into an HBAR (Heavy barrel rifle)

Option 2: Build it into a pistol (No folding or fixed stock) barrel length and contour irrelevant.

Option 3: Build it into an SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) NFA item not to be shorter then 29" again contour of the barrel is irrelevant, but the shortest barrel you can get away with it probably 10.5".

You CAN buy stripped lowers in MD at least this week. Id get on it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If I lived in Frederick, I think I would investigate a PA shop with HBARS with propper 30 round mags for cash and carry.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Stripped lowers allow you to pick the lower you want brand name wise and then you can get high quality or lower quality parts for it. And you can choose your stock. You need some tool, but its not too hard. They were illegal to sell, last week, now they are legal for use in certain applications, but could like the wind again.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I think the AR-10 is budget dependant. You can get into an AR15 for $600 don't think you can touch AR10 for less than a G. Plus its alot more to shoot. Id personally go pistol.

Apr 26, 2014
    Stripped lowers allow you to pick the lower you want brand name wise and then you can get high quality or lower quality parts for it. And you can choose your stock. You need some tool, but its not too hard. They were illegal to sell, last week, now they are legal for use in certain applications, but could like the wind again.

What tools would I need and how complex is it to install parts into the stripped lower

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom