• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I submitted and paid for mine on Saturday the 15th and I'm still waiting for mine to be completed. Some of the checklists items are completed, others not even started.
    You can still see checklists? Most of us lost that a couple days ago. My current theory is it will be shown "pending' till they mail the cards.

bcraig10488

Feb 9, 2014
    You can still see checklists? Most of us lost that a couple days ago. My current theory is it will be shown "pending' till they mail the cards.

I could yesterday. Then yesterday evening I checked again and it said all of them had completed, but had given me no license #. So I checked again later lastnight (and today) and now the checklist is gone and it just tells me the license # is pending.

Eric_G

Feb 12, 2014
    Still waiting...

I applied on 12 February - and still sitting in a "pending" status. I suspect this may be the case for a few reasons: First, the State of Emergency issued for the last snow storm (13/14 February), and Second, I've only recently moved to Maryland (May 2013). So I'm not fully surprised that it is taking a bit - I just hope this doesn't linger.

I'll update this timeline once I receive my HQL.

UPDATE: I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon when I received a letter from the MSP with my HQL attached.

So here is my timeline:

Applied 12 February 2014

Received 22 February 2014

As of 22 February, the website still shows "pending".

Last edited:

GRC911

May 2, 2013
    Harford County

I posted in one of the HQL threads, according to the Trooper I spoke to on Friday, we will no longer see the HQL number and the status doesn't change. Mine still shows pending and my card came today.

bcraig10488

Feb 9, 2014
    I posted in one of the HQL threads, according to the Trooper I spoke to on Friday, we will no longer see the HQL number and the status doesn't change. Mine still shows pending and my card came today.

Good to know. I guess that is their way of making sure LGS don't sell until the card is in hand because some places would just take the number from the site once we had it. Just keeping those guns out of our hands for as long as they lawfully can.

rkh

Feb 25, 2014
    I applied as training expempt on 2/24. Today, 2/25 everything is complete but training says "incomplete". In the application, I told them I have "Hunter's education in 9/12". Any idea why?

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I applied as training expempt on 2/24. Today, 2/25 everything is complete but training says "incomplete". In the application, I told them I have "Hunter's education in 9/12". Any idea why?

I think that you have to scan and upload the documentation of the citification to the system for them to review. I saw a section for that in the application process.

Last Saturday I bought a North American Arms NA22 mini-revolver (with TWO cylinders!) from a lady in the parking lot of Kroger. Gave her $175 cash and a handshake. Took about 45 seconds. Because that kinda thing is legal where I live now.

No one's HQL is gonna get approved in 45 seconds... Ever.

Nor will any of you ever be able to buy that particular model revolver as long as you choose to live here.

GTFO of Maryland, guys.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    For those tuning in late, you no longer see approved online.
    14 days from livescan & Application until the card arrived in the mail.

Are they being assholes, no they are bureaucrats. The are Masters of the Maze. If it was a little maze, you wouldn't think they were needed. If it's a big maze, you need a Master. Make it bigger and the Master needs underlings and out of state conventions and a bigger salary. Make it bigger and now the Master is now someone important.

The British Dept that managed "the colonies" employed the most people ever, just after WW2 when the colonial system was at an end.

tryn2bsnky

Nov 8, 2013
    24 days to get my card. I did notice the MSP website showed active after 20 days though. At least I was finally able to order S&W 9.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    Approved in 2 days, received the card in 8 days. I did see my approval online at mdsp.org, BTW. I could be wrong but, it seems like veterans get expedited approval.

arjason

Mar 18, 2010
    I just got my approval after 7 days. I feel a sense of iorny because it got approved on april fools day.:lol2: (crying on the inside).
    All of this is sooo unnecessary, smh.

Update:
    I just got my card.
    So it took 7 days for approval and 6 days for the actual card.

Last edited:

tholmes721

Jul 13, 2012
    Mine was approved today and the license number is listed right on the website after logging in. Do I have to have card in hand at the gun show in Frederick this weekend, or will providing my license number suffice should I find a handgun I just cant live without :)

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Mine was approved today and the license number is listed right on the website after logging in. Do I have to have card in hand at the gun show in Frederick this weekend, or will providing my license number suffice should I find a handgun I just cant live without :)

Sorry to say that you need to have the physical card in hand.

arjason

Mar 18, 2010
    Yea, my dealer says Il'l have to wait till I get my card to do the paperwork. I suppose you can pay for it then transfer it to a gunshop and have them sit on it till you're squared away. Thats what I'm doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom