• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    Trying to get more people to Join Gun Groups (NRA, etc), go shooting more, and bring new shooters into the shooting sports.

Also trying to get more politically active in Maryland. I wrote letters earlier this year to support SB2, will begin sending more out soon.

Hornblas

Ignore these four words
    Dec 1, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    wow,
    Mpickering, that really puts things into a different perspective for me. Thanks for the time that you put into writing that and the information.I never thought of it in that big of a picture.
    Looks like I need to do a bit more research and shine up my writing pen.I still won't be sending them any $$ as I believe they already have too much..and I have too little.
    But I will be doing some writing and phone calling.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    i have an idea, if the previous poster was correct and one letter =10,000 voters we should all coordinate our efforts. why dont one of the moderators start a thread with the weeks topic and then we all write to a targeted group of officials. even with the low response to this thread if ten of us participate thats 100,000 which is pry a huge portion of average turnout in md for non-general elections right?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I'm game!

I usually keep abreast of political actions stuff, but don't write/call/meet with enough of the delgates to make a difference.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    my efforts begin with the battle against citizen ignorance ont he topic, and getting people interested in not only firearms, but their rights and taking control of their lives.

joined the NRA and MSI

then i write emails to reps anytime a topic / bill comes up that is an issue

my next step will be to show up in annapolis, haven't done it yet, but i want to.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    NRA Life Member (Benefactor)
    Purchased NRA Life Memberships for 3 grandsons
    Purchased NRA annual membership for the Mrs
    Life Member – Berwyn Rod & Gun Club
    Current Member - GOA, VCDL, MDAlert, MDShooters, and MSI(EM)
    Past Member - LEAA, MCDL, MSRPA and SAS
    Chief Instructor, MD Hunter Safety/Firearm Education Program
    Financially supports pro-gun MD Assembly members
    Testified on numerous occasions before the MD Assembly
    Prolific writer to US and State representatives, as well as local media
    Defended firearms in Bowie cable documentary re accidental death of local resident

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Just wrote this to Congressman Sarbanes (my worthless rep) and I'm not going to hold my breath. This is in regards to the Santa shooting. May that worthless POS rot in hell.

Congressman Sarbanes:

I hope you and your family are enjoying a truly wonderful holiday season and that you are looking forward to the New Year and the new Congress.

I am taking a few moments to write to you today regarding the recent tragedy in California. I realize that it should be a time to mourn and grieve for the family, but it should not come as a surprise that the disingenuous bureaucrats from the Brady Campaign are already politicizing this event. I am sure that they will attempt to bring you legislation in the coming New Year and new congress to start a relentless attack upon our Second Amendment rights. I urge you to stand on the side of freedom and dismiss their agenda on two grounds: 1) The mere fact that they simply do not have any respect for the grieving family and are trying to use a catastrophe for their political advantage and 2) the simple fact that we have not only a Constitutionally guaranteed right to self defense and gun ownership in the Second Amendment, but also a natural right.

I am encouraging you not to sponsor or vote in the affirmative for any bills present to you in the coming congressional session that limit our Constitutional right. Individual freedom rests on the ability to maintain the Constitution and preserve it in the daily attacks against it.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my concerns, and may you and your family be blessed for the New Year.

Sincerely,

FightinBluHen51

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Maryland is facing a HUGE budget issue. Let's not omit the fact that selling CCW permits would provide income to the state. I would love to find out (and will try to tonight) how much money Florida makes by issuing those 110 dollar permits.

We would be introducing a new source of income to the state, and no one could say it victimizes poor people (as was the argument against slots) it in fact empowers them to be safe in their neighborhoods.

raggedman

Nov 6, 2008
    Some small part

Recently re-joined the NRA after an 18 year absence.

I endeavor to take fence-walkers and the wrongly informed shooting whenever I can.

and plan to mail the following (once its edited) to the Judiciary, the ways and means committee and several newspapers.

Dear Legislator,

I am disheartened that our more self righteous politicians and liberal media are spouting, at best erroneous, and at worst, willfully misleading information, statistic, and myth concerning gun ownership, and our second amendment rights.

I'm aware it's a politician's nature to foster people's ignorance, pander to their fears and foment hysteria over whichever issue would serve to further their own agenda.

But despair, that our elected representatives are themselves blinded by ignorance.
    Sadly, I would rather think they actually know right from wrong, and for self-serving reasons, chose wrong.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with both our right to keep and bear arms and sensible gun control.

Like me, a majority of Marylanders agree persons convicted of violent acts, abuse drugs and/or alcohol, who are mentally unbalanced, or otherwise have been determined to be a danger to themselves or others should not be allowed legal access to firearms. And, that gun control cannot keep guns from the criminal.

Gun bans do not work, and some American cities such as New York, Washington D.C. and Detroit have enjoyed heartbreak and embarrassment as a consequence.

Such gun control measures cannot prevent those who wish to do evil from doing evil. Draconian restrictions on firearms only serve to prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting their families, their property or themselves

Here, I considered listing columns of statistics showing the fallacy of gun control being effective at reducing violence and deaths. But we both know (unless I am correct in my surmising you being blinded by ignorance) that any studies you might cite as being "proof" that unarmed citizens are safer citizens, there are as many and more compelling studies to the contrary.
    So, I'll just address a few aspects of gun control

Banning handguns for the good of the children

If one would seek to preserve young lives, I would suggest a ban on automobiles (by far the major cause of child mortality), or more practically, a ban on anyone under the age of 21 operating a motor vehicle. But we all know that though there is no constitutional right to drive, that would prove too difficult to achieve as it would be most unpopular with the constituency.

Reducing or even preventing accidental gun deaths has been addressed by laws already enacted. They, like all other existing laws need to be enforced. Negligence and irresponsibility cannot be legislated away. Unfortunate things happen to children of careless and careful parents alike. Shall we, then, ban bathtubs, household chemicals, electrical outlets, bicycles, scissors, swimming pools, plastic bags, plus any and all of the myriad things a child could do harm to themselves or others?

Prevention of gun-aided suicide

That may be possible, but suicide rates will be wholly unaffected. Even my uneducated mind knows that someone who is committed to taking his/her own life, will find a way to do it. Of the half-dozen or so people I've known to commit suicide, one used a firearm, three hung themselves, one drove into a bridge abutment at high speed and the last opened his wrists in a hot bath. I imagine this small sampling is reflective of the populace in general.

Banning assault weapons

This is naked fear-mongering and you know it. Calling a self-loading firearm an "Automatic Assault Weapon" is a shameful prevarication. The National Firearms Act effectively banned assault weapons decades ago.

The firearms you are targeting today are neither automatic nor assault weapons. They function exactly as many other hunting and target rifles.

Senator Diane Feinstein comprised the list of guns for the 1994, and since expired, AWB by perusing a gun catalog and picking out the "scary looking" ones. They have been singled out, once more, simply for their aesthetics.

You'd have to agree banning a firearm on the basis of its "looks" is stupid on the face of it.

Ordinary citizens have no need to carry a firearm

As a rule, evil-doers do not commit violence against ordinary (please read, law-abiding) citizens in the presence of law enforcement officers. The old saw, "when seconds count, the police are mere minutes away" is not only true, but something more and more people are taking to heart.

Our law enforcement officers (from the State Police to the small town beat cop) do a commendable job daily, and I feel most, if not all (though under no obligation to do so), would put themselves at peril to save a life.

The problem is…. they won't be there.

Concealed carry should not be based on extraordinary and imminent need, capriciousness, whim, or favor.

In 1986 there were 9 "shall issue" States, in 20 years since, that number has increased to 39 States (maybe 40 by the time this is read). It should be clear that, nation-wide, concealed carry is something We, the People, believe is needed to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our property.

Yet, you continue to deprive Marylanders in your district the means to protect themselves;

Older citizens lacking the physical prowess to fend off an attack (useless in any case against an armed assailant),

Women, alone or with their children, are too often left with the choice of ineffectual resistance or compliance with the unthinkable

Disabled Marylanders who can neither flee nor evade an attack.
    And every other person finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time are presently easy prey for any and all who may decide to take what they, the law-abiding citizen, values, including their life.

You have the opportunity to do the right thing. Study the matter for yourself instead of relying on "talking points" or 'the party line". Actually represent your constituency by supporting the Second Amendment and its proponents in any upcoming "gun" legislation.

Please lend your much needed support to
    HB-2, HB-1060, HB-1061, HB-1071, HB-1075 & SB-449

And use your considerable persuasive talents to help oppose
    HB-108, HB-517, HB-640, HB-655, HB-659, HB-849, HB-877, & HB-964

As well as opposing SB-42, SB-244, SB-299, SB-393, SB-558, SB-585, & SB-586

Thank you

Edward F. Rose
    My Address

"I go farther; and now proceed to show, that in peculiar instances, in which those rights can receive neither protection nor reparation from civil government, they are, notwithstanding its institution, entitled still to that defence, and to those methods of recovery, which are justified and demanded in a state of nature."

"The defence of one's self, justly called the primary law of nature, is not, nor can it be abrogated by any regulation of municipal law."
    --- James Wilson, Wilson, Of the Natural Rights of Individuals, in 2 The Works of James Wilson 335 (J.D. Andrews ed. 1896).
    The above quote is from a series of lectures given between 1790 and 1792.
    "Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would."
    --- John Adams, Boston Gazette, Sept. 5, 1763,reprinted in 3 The Works of John Adams 438

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Hey guys, a shameless bump for my own thread. Back in my original post, I asked what you as an individual were doing, now here's a chance.

Castle Doctrine is coming up and Chairman Frosh may unilaterally stop it again. We need to put the heat on this guy in the local editorial pages.

Second note, there are majorly important days coming up in Annapolis. Can you make a few phone calls today to the committee that will hear these bills tomorrow? Don't need a prepared speech, just "I'd ask the Delegate/ Senator to support/oppose bill ______".

I was never an activist until I joined here guys, I'm learning this as I go. That said, this is what it means to be a citizen in a Republic. A Republic requires work, it requires input and effort from the electorate. A citizen puts in that effort. A subject reads the results the next day and whines about the outcome.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Those of us who do have power in numbers. First, you need to be writing your representatives. Admittedly in Maryland, that is an uphill battle since my reps (Van Hollen and Mikulski) are both anti-gun. But what the letter writing does is serve as a guide in those offices as to the level of constituent support.

It is said (and I don't remember reading where) that a phone call to their office by one citizen is roughly equivalent to the overall opinion of 1000 constituents who never bothered to pick up the phone. For every letter (not e-mail) received, it is equivalent to the opinion of roughly 10,000 constituents.

Your representative does not read your letter or answer your phone call unless you are very lucky. Their staffers do. Good staffers will pass along good letters for personal replies. But most of the time, the staffer will make a tick in the "yes" or "no" box on whatever topic/bill the letter is about and move on. Same applies for phone calls.

That is the purpose of the calls and letters. To give the representatives a gauge as to public opinion back home. As long as the numbers remain small along the lines of a dozen or so phone calls or a couple letters, they can safely ignore you.

When you start to put the fear of God into them is when the numbers climb in the dozens of letters and hundreds of phone calls. The higher it goes, the more likely it is the issue is a hot button one that the representative needs to listen closely to their constituents on.

It does have an effect and you've seen the results of this behavior but probably never realized it. Did you ever wonder why the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bills or the first Financial Bailout packages just suddenly died after intensive negotiation and late night sessions? From the news, you'd think the various Reps simply couldn't agree. Good for the news but not really what happened.

What happened was in both cases, the Senate and Congress switchboards were literally being knocked offline due to the volume of phone calls in opposition to those proposals. In the case of the immigration reform, hundreds of letters and bricks mailed to various Congressional offices. Estimates on immigration reform placed the opposition at around 78% nationwide and the financial bailout was anywhere to 10-1 to 100-1 against. The end result was the Reps being put on notice that this was not popular legislation and to kill. They had no choice.

Alas, the financial bailout was merely stalled and they passed by adding in $150 billion additional taxpayer dollars to essentially bribe the various districts into accepting it. Same $700 bailout with $150 billion in pork added. We'll see in two years how much a backlash there will be against our Reps since at this point they don't appear to be listening.

On gun control, this strategy works. When you write them (which I recommend in addition to phone calls), highlight the bill you are for or against, a couple points as to why, provide links to any statistics you provide (the FBI Uniform Crime Report, page 2 of the BATFE trace report and the CDC report on the ineffectiveness of gun control always are useful for countering various points) and explain that failure to tow the constituent line will result in you voting against them. When you tell them that, make sure to remind them why Congress was lost in 1994. It was due to their support of the "Assault Weapon" ban. Make sure they get that message. The only reason Democrats got back into control in 2006 was because the Blue Dogs ran on pro-gun platforms. Too many still remember what happened in 1994 and it serves useful to remind them to not repeat history.

Whether you agree with the overall effectiveness of this is up to you. Our goal as gun rights supporters is to achieve critical mass. Get the tick marks on the bill ledgers high enough for or against a given topic to get the representative to take notice. Done nationwide, this has a tremendous effect and coupled with the Internet, we can often keep bills stuck in committee permanently. We've done it for two years now with various gun control bills despite an anti-gun Congressional leadership. We can keep doing it.

We have to believe that as a group we can win. I know I'm a tick mark when I make the phone call and put the stamp on the envelope. But as long as enough of us trust each other that we're all doing the same thing, there is nothing we can't help defeat.

Also join the NRA. Often they serve as punching bag of the media but they do help stop things and if they can't, water them down enough to go from catastrophe to merely annoying. You may not agree with them on how they handle things (I don't) but I realize politics is about compromise and perception. If we can keep the Reps simplemindedly focused on the NRA, it gives us more leverage as grassroots and private citizens to amplify the NRA's message.

If the NRA got an additional 2 million members in the next two years, no gun control bill would ever make it out of committee. If you're already a member, offer to pay for someone else's new membership. Or take them shooting and do the same.

Sorry for the rant. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Matt

I don't think DD will mind me chewing up some bandwidth with a long quote. It's a great post overall, but I've bolded a few things I think are key points. I'm not trying to brow beat or badger anyone here, I am trying to get folks moving a bit. I'm psyched for this fight. You guys realize that rattlesnake freed up his day tomorrow to go to the hearings and he's not even from Maryland. When I wrote this back before Christmas, Boondock was a newbie, now he responds to every request Norton puts out for help. Others here have stepped up too, but think about this; right now there are 36 members online. If 36 of us spent 5 minutes sending an e-mail right now, it would exceed the output that we got statewide for the last big push and the Delegates thought that was impressive! It's a small state folks, even a relativly small group can not be ignored if we make enough noise. Where's that video DD posted a while ago...

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    I am not a Md resident. That being said I am wondering why no Maryland Resident that was denied a CCW permit has not file a law suit. Reading the Supreme court ruling for Heller Vs. Dc, they twice mentioned state cases heard about CCW denial and both times ruled for the state because the states had open carry laws. Justifing that the individual could carry openly, his 2nd ammenment rights were not infringed. As far as I know MD does not have open carry and a suit filed could cause the change every one wants with a win.
    Your thoughts....

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    ...When I wrote this back before Christmas, Boondock was a newbie, now he responds to every request Norton puts out for help...

Well, not every one. :)

I was just going to mention how I've only been a member of MDS for ~2 months and upon originally replying to this thread, I wasn't doing anything at all, largely because I was really new and didn't know how. I would hardly call myself an activist, but I don't mind sending emails/snail mail/making a few calls to those who make the laws. As others have said, part of being a responsible citizen is putting in a little work yourself, on your own time, to be heard.

I'll be at the hearing tomorrow for HB332 and hopefully can convince my wife to come as well. I'll be the fat guy!

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Joppa,

I agree with you and hear your request loud and clear. People need to get involved!!! I send out the letters and the emails often. I have upgraded my NRA membership to Life and continue to pay on my Son's life membership. I have joined several Gun Clubs and Gun Groups who fight for the cause costing me hundreds of dollars every year. I support my local gun shops and online suppliers. I intoduce new shooters to shooting and gun ownership. However, do to knee surgery mid last year thats totaly screwed my physical condition. I can not walk the distances needed to get my fat ass from the parking lot to the hearings. If I could I would be the first to take the day off from work and join you.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    PresentArms: I believe there's a shuttle from the stadium parking lot to the House building, if that was the deciding factor. In either case, I hope that knee mends up quickly!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Joppa,

I agree with you and hear your request loud and clear. People need to get involved!!! I send out the letters and the emails often.

My friend, if everyone did so little :sarcasm:, we would have long converstions here about what kind of holster was best for our muggy Maryland summers and our new concealed carry pieces. Novus could abandon the "Got C&R?" question and ask "Got CCW?"

Here's hoping the knee heals up quickly!

Just FYI before anyone accuses me of hypocracy, I'll not be able to make Annapolis tomorrow. I'm working now to try to make the other two hearing we've got this month. That's part of the reason I'm beating the "contact your represenatives" drum this morning, it's what I can do today to help.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'll not be able to make Annapolis tomorrow.

Weak! Just kidding, of course.

Tomorrow's House proceedings will be the only chance I have to get to Annapolis for a little while, so I have to make this one count. Let's hope HB332 doesn't get torpedoed by that mustachioed fool Sen. Frosh, assuming it makes it out of the committee and out of the full House, as it has in previous years.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am not a Md resident. That being said I am wondering why no Maryland Resident that was denied a CCW permit has not file a law suit.

They have and they've lost.

Reading the Supreme court ruling for Heller Vs. Dc, they twice mentioned state cases heard about CCW denial and both times ruled for the state because the states had open carry laws. Justifing that the individual could carry openly, his 2nd ammenment rights were not infringed. As far as I know MD does not have open carry and a suit filed could cause the change every one wants with a win.
    Your thoughts....

Possibly, but suits like this take money and that is something that our community is sorely lacking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom