• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Posting here to track my time.

I finally gave in and applied for the HQL :sad20:

I was fingerprinted today and just finished the application. I had one hang up with the hunters safety portion since my hunters safety number is so old, but adding my pre 2013 Ruger SP101 seems to have cleared that up.

So now i'm $108 in the hole, I have to wait to be approved for my HQL, then I have to wait for the pistol I want to hit the roster, then I have to wait 7 days and show up with a bore lock to pick up my pistol. Yep, we live in the free state :sad20:

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    HQL

My approval took 10 working days and another 5 working days for it to show up in the mail.
    Just be patient....and may as well work on your MD collectors stamp too

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Seems like not a bad place to ask, I’ve finally decided to get my HQL. I am going to go through Essential support Serivces in a Eldersburg. What are the steps? I tried the online MSP portal and it looks like I have to do the fingerprinting before starting an application.

So print Livescan application/document, fill it out, to in, get finger printed and get the case # or whatever the heck it is called from that and then I can immediately fill out the application and submit it? Then waiting game?

Seems like I should just pick one reason to be training exempt. I assume it doesn’t matter if I go hunter safety over regulated firearm?

Anything I am missing? On the livescan document, what do I put under the agency information? MSP licensing I assume, but what about agency authorization number?

Or should I just print it out, fill in what I am sure of and ESS will tell me what else I need to complete on it for an HQL.

Thanks!

Gmalone3

Sep 12, 2017
    Salisbury
    Mine took 7 days. Fingerprinted and application submitted on Nov 1st and active as of this morning the 8th! I don't like that I had to go through this process but I am pretty excited to get my card and go shopping!

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    8 days

Hi all,

Fingerprints and training completed on 11/2, Everything showed completed on the 7th other than the NICS check. Sometime this morning my status changed from Pending to Approved, so 8 days from submission to approval. Hopefully it will come soon in the mail!

Good luck all...this is a good time to be applying. I'll be taking CCW classes here shortly then applying for that...we'll see how that process goes!

Brad

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Approved today. Getting the mail is going to be packed full of anticipation the next few days. Applied Wednesday afternoon. Not sure if MSP was open Friday because if the federal holiday Saturday? Or closed Saturday? Or licensing division has been full tilt the whole time.

Whatever. 5 days. With a holiday in there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still waiting on getting it. Approved on Monday and still nothing. I got my letter in the mail yesterday that the background check didn’t find anything. I suppose that means the HQL is probably running a couple of days behind that. Not that I plan to buy anything right away, but still feeling really impatient.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Approved today. Getting the mail is going to be packed full of anticipation the next few days. Applied Wednesday afternoon. Not sure if MSP was open Friday because if the federal holiday Saturday? Or closed Saturday? Or licensing division has been full tilt the whole time.

Whatever. 5 days. With a holiday in there.

Government takes the view that if the holiday falls on Saturday, it is observed on Friday. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, the government observes the holiday on Monday. Hope that helps somewhat.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Still waiting on getting it. Approved on Monday and still nothing. I got my letter in the mail yesterday that the background check didn’t find anything. I suppose that means the HQL is probably running a couple of days behind that. Not that I plan to buy anything right away, but still feeling really impatient.

I got that letter in the mail on Monday, and my HQL showed up on Wednesday. Yours is going to be a few days behind the BGC letter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got that letter in the mail on Monday, and my HQL showed up on Wednesday. Yours is going to be a few days behind the BGC letter.

Good to know, thanks! I asked the person house sitting for me to look out for it, but I am pretty sure they are just going to dump all my mail and packages in a big pile and let me actually go through it all later. I’ll be home in a few days.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    HQL was sitting in my stack of mail. Maybe around tuesday’s pile? So roughly 2 weeks from applying to having it in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom