• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    the barrel manufacturer needs to stamp or engrave it, or marketed as an Hbar. not you. So if it's that important to you make sure you save the paperwork. If anyone could stamp it then anyone could turn a government profile Barrel into an h-bar through the magic of laser engraving, which is obviously not the case

MSP did not say this. They just said if the barrel is marked HBAR.

Realize, the MSP guidance is quick and dirty. If it meets their stated requirements, it is an HBAR.

If they were to haul you into court, it would be hard from them to make a case that a barrel with the same or larger dimensions than an actual Colt HBAR Match Sporter barrel is not an HBAR.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Realize, the MSP guidance is quick and dirty. If it meets their stated requirements, it is an HBAR.

If they were to haul you into court, it would be hard from them to make a case that a barrel with the same or larger dimensions than an actual Colt HBAR Match Sporter barrel is not an HBAR.

Maybe someone can post the MSP guidance, I could not find it.

I can take any barrel and stamp it. Does not make it an HBAR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

You're coming around. :thumbsup:

I can take any barrel and stamp it. Does not make it an HBAR.

In as much as I want to believe no one is that stupid to try that, I'm sure they exist. The chances of being caught, I would think astronomical.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    the barrel manufacturer needs to stamp or engrave it, or marketed as an Hbar. not you. So if it's that important to you make sure you save the paperwork. If anyone could stamp it then anyone could turn a government profile Barrel into an h-bar through the magic of laser engraving, which is obviously not the case

Does it?

when the Hbar nonsense due to FSA2013 first came out, I contacted RRA about their R3 upper and asked what they considered it to be. Their email said that they considered it to be a heavy barrel, but was not marked as such.

so, what is it? Hbar or not?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I said this before.

BUT, I have also asked if you wanted to be the test case. :)

AND I would not try to pass off a light or medium profile bar as HBAR.

There is no legal definition or list of specifications that delineate what an HBAR is or what an HBAR isn't. NONE!

Therefore, a barrel manufacturer has the legal right to stamp/advertise ANY barrel of ANY shape and ANY configuration as HBAR. Why, you ask? Because the barrel manufacturer has no, carved in stone, list of specifications to guide them. And, as far as I know, guessing is still legal in the US of A.

I've always stood by the premise that a barrel manufacturer can produce a super-lightweight pencil barrel and stamp it/advertise it as HBAR and be well within their legal right to do so. And they'd have the legal right to sell them. And we'd have the legal right to purchase them.

Because the ONLY "Guidance" is that the barrel be stamped HBAR or be advertised as HBAR.

Any lawyer worth their salt could win this case in court. Your, Honor. The incredibly vague Maryland law/guidance states the barrel had to be stamped or advertised as HBAR. My client bought a barrel that was stamped and advertised as HBAR. Case dismissed!!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Was it advertised or listed as HBAR?

If it was MSP says it is. If not then it isn’t

If we had a listing of every time this has been said since 2013, it would be one long script in deed.

How bout a sub-forum; WHAT IS AN H-BAR?

J/K of course, but it would simplify things, especially when it comes to searches.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    There is no legal definition or list of specifications that delineate what an HBAR is or what an HBAR isn't. NONE!

Therefore, a barrel manufacturer has the legal right to stamp/advertise ANY barrel of ANY shape and ANY configuration as HBAR. Why, you ask? Because the barrel manufacturer has no, carved in stone, list of specifications to guide them. And, as far as I know, guessing is still legal in the US of A.

I've always stood by the premise that a barrel manufacturer can produce a super-lightweight pencil barrel and stamp it/advertise it as HBAR and be well within their legal right to do so. And they'd have the legal right to sell them. And we'd have the legal right to purchase them.

Because the ONLY "Guidance" is that the barrel be stamped HBAR or be advertised as HBAR.

Any lawyer worth their salt could win this case in court. Your, Honor. The incredibly vague Maryland law/guidance states the barrel had to be stamped or advertised as HBAR. My client bought a barrel that was stamped and advertised as HBAR. Case dismissed!!!

I believe you are 100% right, but I wouldn't put it passed MSP to change the guidence during/after a case like that.
    Although I wonder who the manufacturer is on a barrel blank. . .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

...and I don't think there is anyone of consequence who would give two schnitz about it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ...and I don't think there is anyone of consequence who would give two schnitz about it.

There are times when Bill Gates kind of money would be nice to have.

A barrel company dedicated to manufacturing and selling super-lightweight HBAR barrels.

Each barrel would come with a redeemable certificate. It would cover the legal expenses incurred by any purchaser.

And it would put this HBAR law/controversy to bed for once and for all.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0274.JPG Next thing you know it will be is conspiracy to commit hiding or partially obscuring a HB while thinking about building a suppresive fire weapon with a bump fire attachment from an otherwise ordinary rifle that some other Orwellian bureaucrat put their stamp of approval on.:rolleyes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

We are talking about a barrel that is not marked or advertised as HBAR, but has similar or larger dimensions than an actual Colt HBAR Match Sporter barrel. Could you be prosecuted for this? Yes. But it is likely you would be convicted. "Your honor here is the barrel in question, and here is an actual Colt HBAR, can you tell the difference?"

MSP guidance is guidance. NOT the law.

So an A1 government profile barrel that is stamped HBAR is not legally an HBAR. So you could be prosecuted and lose this case. "Your honor, here we have the barrel in question and an actual Colt HBAR. See how much thinner this barrel is. It is obvious that this is NOT an HBAR in accordance with the LAW."

Now, you get a written AG opinion, and you will have a better leg to stand on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If we had a listing of every time this has been said since 2013, it would be one long script in deed.

How bout a sub-forum; WHAT IS AN H-BAR?

J/K of course, but it would simplify things, especially when it comes to searches.

There could be a section of these sub forums.

To include 10 round mags. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom