• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Folding is folding. Collapsible(as in standard AR 15 carbine stock) is not folding. For more stop positions(collapsible), you need a different buffer tube and maybe a newer stock. A brake or FS should be fine on that Windham as the stock is "collapsible".

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    How does barrel profile come into play here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How does barrel profile come into play here?

M$ and regular profile (with the reduction, are banned in Maryland, Bull barrel, heavy barrel, etc are legal in Maryland (per MSP guidance the manufacture has to either advertise the item as such or the product box must be marked as such).

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    M$ and regular profile (with the reduction, are banned in Maryland, Bull barrel, heavy barrel, etc are legal in Maryland (per MSP guidance the manufacture has to either advertise the item as such or the product box must be marked as such).

But if the lower is the rifle where in the statute does it ban replacing a barrel or an upper for that matter? Uppers and barrels aren’t regulated, are they?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    But if the lower is the rifle where in the statute does it ban replacing a barrel or an upper for that matter? Uppers and barrels aren’t regulated, are they?

The statute regards a rifle as a whole assembly or configuration in some places, otherwise it could not exempt Hbar and heavy barrels. Its the same way they can ban parts (the copy cat weapon rule, not to be confused with a copy of a banned weapon). By replacing a barrel you are changing the configuration to a banned one, which is considered manufacturing.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD

Try to not overthink it, it's complicated enough. To follow the law an AR15 style 'rifle' needs to have a heavy barrel. You can change the configuration from pencil / standard barrel to HBAR in order to follow the law. You just can't bring it into the state or buy it in state as a non HBAR rifle.

I did an 80% lower with a PSA carbine rifle kit and ordered a $70 Carbine HBAR barrel at the same time. It's all parts until you pin them together as a functioning rifle. I just swapped the barrel before finishing. No drama.

LenS

Jul 24, 2005
    Мэрилендщина
    I've been out of AR world for a number of years now and all the "new" laws are kind of murky to me right now ... so, if one owned an AR-15 in the standard configuration prior to 10/1/2013, is it grandfathered or the upper needs to be swapped for HBAR to be MD legal?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been out of AR world for a number of years now and all the "new" laws are kind of murky to me right now ... so, if one owned an AR-15 in the standard configuration prior to 10/1/2013, is it grandfathered or the upper needs to be swapped for HBAR to be MD legal?

If you possessed the AR-15 in a banned configuration prior to 10/1/2013, it is grandfathered in. Anything that comes into your possession after 9/30/2013 must be an HBAR or heavier barrel.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Try to not overthink it, it's complicated enough. To follow the law an AR15 style 'rifle' needs to have a heavy barrel. You can change the configuration from pencil / standard barrel to HBAR in order to follow the law. You just can't bring it into the state or buy it in state as a non HBAR rifle.

I did an 80% lower with a PSA carbine rifle kit and ordered a $70 Carbine HBAR barrel at the same time. It's all parts until you pin them together as a functioning rifle. I just swapped the barrel before finishing. No drama.

There is something called constructive intent. I hate the law, but it is there. I just did a search to try and provide you with an example, but now my head hurts. Time to get back to work so the headache can go away.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    ...or federally-registered under NFA (i.e., SBR, machine-gun, etc.).

We will have to agree to disagree on that. My .223 AR-15 SBR build after 10/1/2013 is going to be HBAR. I still need to do some more research on whether something in .300 BLK or .458 SOCOM needs to be HBAR. For me, it will all come down to whether an AR-15 in .300 BLK or .458 SOCOM is a copy of the Colt AR-15.

Any chance you have a MSP advisory stating that an SBR does not have to be HBAR or heavier?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    We will have to agree to disagree on that. My .223 AR-15 SBR build after 10/1/2013 is going to be HBAR. I still need to do some more research on whether something in .300 BLK or .458 SOCOM needs to be HBAR. For me, it will all come down to whether an AR-15 in .300 BLK or .458 SOCOM is a copy of the Colt AR-15.

Any chance you have a MSP advisory stating that an SBR does not have to be HBAR or heavier?

I don't know of an advisory, but I know SBR's arw unicorns in MD simultaneously being a rifle and a pistol at the same time. There is an agreement opinion out there that says parts must be 100% interchangable to be a copy, anything not 223/556 would be okay for a light barrel.

LenS

Jul 24, 2005
    Мэрилендщина
    If you possessed the AR-15 in a banned configuration prior to 10/1/2013, it is grandfathered in. Anything that comes into your possession after 9/30/2013 must be an HBAR or heavier barrel.
    I'm sorry for being dense, are you saying that if I want to put a new upper on the pre-ban lower that was in my possession before 10/1/13 it has to be HBAR? Thanks in advance

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Because the AR15 back when the original law was enacted had them chambered in 223/556. The new law pertains to 223/556, because it is difficult/impossible to find a pencil barrel in calibers other than 223/556. Use a normal 300BLK barrel or 458 SOCOM, there is no HBAR requirement of calibers other than 223/556.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Because the AR15 back when the original law was enacted had them chambered in 223/556. The new law pertains to 223/556, because it is difficult/impossible to find a pencil barrel in calibers other than 223/556. Use a normal 300BLK barrel or 458 SOCOM, there is no HBAR requirement of calibers other than 223/556.

It isn't so much about finding a pencil barrel in .300 BLK or .458 SOCOM that bothers me, but there are some barrels for those cartridges that are less than .750 throughout. Wilson Combat barrels come to mind, which is what I had in mind when I first filled out the Form 1 for the two builds.

I need to read through the laws and advisories and draft a memo to myself as to which way I am going and why. Pretty sad when I have to have myself as a client. I know I did the research over a year ago and that I printed out a couple of sheets showing barrels that were .750+ for those cartridges. Just do not remember why I decided to go that route. Too much has happened over the past year.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm sorry for being dense, are you saying that if I want to put a new upper on the pre-ban lower that was in my possession before 10/1/13 it has to be HBAR? Thanks in advance

Not saying that at all. Thought I had seen a MSP advisory saying that an AR-15 lower owned before 10/1/2013 could be built into a currently banned config. Of course, I cannot find it in my cache of saved files. Believe it was Pinecone that said it and provided the doc, but I am lost. Anybody know where I can find all the MSP advisories on firearms?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    There is something called constructive intent. I hate the law, but it is there. I just did a search to try and provide you with an example, but now my head hurts. Time to get back to work so the headache can go away.

Does not constructive intent work both ways? Otherwise would I not be able to be charged for speeding with a car that's capable of speeding even though it's going the speed limit?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Took some digging, but I found it. Look through that about receivers purchased prior to 10/1/2013.

Attachments

• MSP - 140516 LD-FRS-14-003 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf
      186.5 KB · Views: 274

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom