• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hi all. Am in the same boat, forced to move to MD for a new job and currently have a >29" AR15 variant purchased in 2015. A few questions that I could not find answered anywhere else...

1) I'm assuming a telescoping stock counts as a "folding stock"? NO
    2) If I remove the flash-hider and just left the end of the barrel bare, would this technically meet legal standards? YES BUT SEE BELOW ON POSESSION DATE.

Thanks-

IF it's a copy of formerly known as "regulated" long gun now= banned
    if it's a copycat and has two of the features mentioned, =also banned.

so even if you can prevent the gun from being a copycat, if it has interchangable parts with a now banned gun, it's banned as wel as a copy.

possessed after 10-1-13. Unless an HBAR it is banned.

AG ruling on copies attached

Attachments

• AG ruling on copies.pdf
      237.7 KB · Views: 484
    Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe you can transport a handgun in your vehicle in any state without the fear of reprisal as long as it is unloaded and in a locked gun case and not within arms reach( ie, your trunk). And to be even more safe do not have any ammo in the vehicle. By your ammo when you arrive at the gun range. You'll pay a little more for it.

tell that to gun owners in NY and NJ.

Google Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ. You'll be hassled, arrested but perhaps win your case.

or not.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hi all. Am in the same boat, forced to move to MD for a new job and currently have a >29" AR15 variant purchased in 2015. A few questions that I could not find answered anywhere else...

1) Im assuming a telescoping stock counts as a "folding stock"?
    2) If I remove the flash-hider and just left the end of the barrel bare, would this technically meet legal standards?

Thanks-

1) No, folding means folding. Telescoping is NOT folding. An early version of the bill stated both folding AND telescoping. Telescoping was removed/

2) No flash hider means no flash hider. If it is not on the rifle, it is not on there.

As long as it is HBAR and not a Bushmaster, you are fine.

If it is not an HBAR, it is not legal in that configuration. You can either replace the barrel with HBAR barrel, or buy an HBAR upper and never have the non-HBAR upper installed in MD.

If it is a Bushmaster brand rifle, you are SOL. It may NOT be brought into MD.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I dont get the 'necessity' factor. Is this a situation where your ex wife moved to MD and to retain joint custody (and be a part of your kids lives) you had to follow? I get that. Its why I havent moved out of this God forsaken state. Other than that, nothing could get me to live here when 45 miles away is OC/shall issue heaven and 100 miles west is constitutional carry nirvana. Elderly parents can choose to live in a free state with you or here without you. Any job worth living in MD for is covered by LEOSA. 3 months from my youngest's 18th birthday, my beautiful home goes up for sale & I have the tough decision of which free state to move to.

Be Safe 24/7

Jan 24, 2018
    AR-15 Pistol

I live in Maryland and I would like to purchase a AR-15 Pistol online and have it shipped to a MD FFL. *Can someone PLEASE tell me if AR-15 Pistols legal in Maryland. If so, send me a link to where you got your answer from. Thanks!

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I live in Maryland and I would like to purchase a AR-15 Pistol online and have it shipped to a MD FFL. *Can someone PLEASE tell me if AR-15 Pistols legal in Maryland. If so, send me a link to where you got your answer from. Thanks!

Go to your local gun shop and ask them about transferring an AR pistol which is on the Handgun Roster.

If you want to build one, just buy a lower and have it registered as an “other”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    before your register your guns register to vote, and help us in any way remove some of the more insane individuals that come up with the laws and taxes we have to suffer through in MD

That would mean replacing 98% of the Legislature. Good luck with that in the communist Republik of Marylandslovakia. And it's getting worse, especially if that NAACP ba*tard gets in there. Just look at Bawl'mer!

LRoberts

Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Very informative.

Just supposing for a moment (and I'm not saying this is so...but) what if a gun was purchased after 10/01/2013. How would anyone know? Can someone supply a link to the registration form?

Thank you for all the replies.

Serial numbers.

LRoberts

Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    No, the confusion is people use the word "copycat" when they mean "copy or imitation."

The law clearly uses the words differently.

What is the confusion? People who cannot read?

Is it a centerfire semi-auto? If NO, NOT a copycat. If YES and a Rifle continue. If a Shotgun, skip to Shotgun below.
    Is it longer than 29"? If NO, it is banned. If YES, continue.
    Does it have two or more of the "evil features" (folding stock, flash suppressor, grenade launcher)? If YES, it is banned, if NO continue.
    Does it have a non-detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity? If YES, it is banned, if NO, not banned.

Shotgun

Does it have a folding stock? If YES, banned, if NO, continue.
    Does it have a revolving cylinder? If YES, banned, if NO, not banned.

There is also some confusion because people cannot take time to read the actual LAW. The original bills had other features (telescoping stock, forward pistol grip, thumbhole stock, etc). But the LAW has none of these.

A PTR-91 is not banned because it is a "copycat" it is banned because it is a "copy or imitation."

And yes, a firearm can be both, but if it is a "copy or imitation" of an item on the banned list, it doesn't matter if it is also a "copycat."

Would "copycat" also mean "replica"?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Very informative.

Just supposing for a moment (and I'm not saying this is so...but) what if a gun was purchased after 10/01/2013. How would anyone know? Can someone supply a link to the registration form?

Thank you for all the replies.

NOT advising to break laws, but the real question is when was the gun manufactured (serial number, as mentioned) and was the purchase from a gun shop, or second hand Face-to-Face.

If the later, and the gun was manufactured prior to 10/1/2013, there would be little way to know 'you' purchased it before or after 10/1/2013, absent voluntary registration.

I repeat, NOT advising to break laws.

LRoberts

Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    The question would be, it is legal to possess an unregistered regulated firearm that was brought into the state after 10/1/2013.

And I am all for the poster to test this law in court (at his expense) to once and for all answer the question for the rest of us. I think he is being very civic minded to put his freedom, gun ownership, and a LOT of money on the line to do this for us.

I applaud him.

And don't you just LOVE these people who come on here and ask a question and then proceed to tell you the answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom