• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    1.) Have you guys ever thought about going door to door?

When campaigning politically this is what teams do. They get their message, their literature and go door to door in 2s or 3s - explaining concisely their point of view. Some will engage you for a while others not.

But keep it to a couple minutes each house so that you can hit 200 houses.

Maybe MSI can provide the literature.

2.). A little to late (for March 2013) but it may yet be applied somehow. Hold signs to raise awareness - especially if it's decided that a referendum will be sought with 5,500 signatures or whatever.

Hold signs at places like Georgia Avenue in Wheaton or out in Silver Spring. Because that's an easy way to get exposure to 1,000 easily.

Best to set up where traffic slows down.

Disclaimer: Becareful out there - parents have been known to let their 12 year old kids throw rocks at the "enemy" deserving of "revenge".

bigangrysob

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2013
    Cow County
    "I give money to politicians who get paid, to, unsuccessfully represent our wishes. " "i knock on doors " and get immediately blown off like the Jehovah's Witness's who left just before you showed up. I was born well after the actual war was lost. This "war" is theoretical, if not futile. What am i doing? Mentally, and physically, preparing to die for my Flag, and OUR Constitution. I'm cleaning my barrels, sighting my Scopes, and looking for our new brothers in arms.

What was it you were doing again???

wow, I really am a radical!

Last edited:

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    "I give money to politicians who get paid, to, unsuccessfully represent our wishes. " "i knock on doors " and get immediately blown off like the Jehovah's Witness's who left just before you showed up. I was born well after the actual war was lost. This "war" is theoretical, if not futile. What am i doing? Mentally, and physically, preparing to die for my Flag, and OUR Constitution. I'm cleaning my barrels, sighting my Scopes, and looking for our new brothers in arms.

What was it you were doing again???

wow, I really am a radical!

I don't think you're radical, I think you're being realistic.
    Einstein said that insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
    Well, those supporting second amendment rights within Maryland have been doing the same thing over and over again by trying to fight the state in Annapolis and the Courts, in an unfair battle in which the state holds all the control, all the power, and does as it pleases. The state constantly wins this fight time after time, and even on the odd occasions when the state does loose it simply changes the rules again so that in the long run it once again can claim the victory. Yet despite all of this the second amendment supporters of this state who have been defeated time and time again continue to believe that "next time" will some how be different. That "next time" will be what does it.

So no, I don't think YOU are a radical because you believe the only way out of this is to fight for it or die trying. I beleive you are one of the few among us who are sane. You see the situation for what it truly it, and understand that it's foolish to expect anything other than the status quo out of the politico of this state.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    1.)
    Disclaimer: Becareful out there - parents have been known to let their 12 year old kids throw rocks at the "enemy" deserving of "revenge".
    If you ever do this "door to door" thing, wear a camera of some sort, with audio recording ability. It's good liability protection. As long as you don't enter a home (don't by the way) or use the footage for broadcast, you'll be compliant with privacy laws.
    Anyway you'll be able to catch anyone who does anything to you and have evidence for when you press charges (which I suggest you do).
    I'm not sure if the child or the parents would be held responsible in that situation, but either way, screw'em. Assault/Battery is what it is.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I promote and espouse the virtues and necessities of lawful and safe firearm use and ownership to anyone who will listen to me. I have a lot of friends who know me and my love of shooting, hunting, and in general, the love of the outdoor lifestyle. It seems that most conversations I have with a lot of my "acquaintances" sooner or later end up on that subject. I'm always more than happy give my opinions on the necessity of the second amendment and the responsibilities that it encompasses.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    I have picked a local, pro-2A candidate (I met her while we were both testifying against SB281) who has a decent chance of upsetting a longtime entrenched incumbent who didn't lift a finger to support our efforts against SB281.
    I donate money to her campaign.
    I give time to work on her campaign -- sign-waving and door-knocking. Also working her tables at local events like the county fair.

I have become an NRA instructor (did that over a decade ago).
    I help to manage a gun-range that is aggressively involved in public-outreach.
    I have become a MD HQL instructor.
    I have become a MD Hunter Ed instructor.
    We teach NRA Basic and HQL classes to adults, youths, and operate a very aggressive Women-on-Target program.
    Our range sponsors a Boy-Scout and 4H groups involved in the shooting sports. We also offer MD Hunter Education classes.

kwaters4

Aug 14, 2012
    Fallston
    Everyone on here keeps talking about fighting by using your vote. That's fantastic. You won today. We have a republican governor. Hold your breath while you wait for him to further gun rights. This isn't an up down trend, this is a downward spiral. we won today. we'll probably lose tomorrow, and when that happens more rights will be chipped away. Who knows you might win after that! But wait the next republican isn't going to undo anything he will just be the plateau before the fall. You see the trend? Vote all you want you'll win in the short run but will always lose the long game. Kinda selfish to say I don't want to do something super hard but voting is easy enough, I can keep my rights but those who come later down the line will be SOL. I don't think those calling for action are talking about mass shootings. I believe they are calling for an armed group to stand up and say no more. To take action and say this has gone too far we aren't going to comply, we would rather die on our feet rather than bending over to the laws you have put forth. That's called a militia. They are the ONLY reason you can have guns in the first place. By standing by and complying with the laws as opposed to disobeying them you are validating them. By validating them you are supporting them. So go ahead and give voting a chance... I'll cover you.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I got thinking about something as I perused the boards here and over lunch today this thread started to take shape in my brain. I have a question for our assembled masses, what are you doing to further gun rights here in Maryland? Not what are we as mdshooters, or we as the NRA or the GOA or even we as Maryland Shall Issue (MSI), but you as in the person reading this thread, what are you doing?

You see, I read a lot of threads and posts here about our rights, localy and nationaly. I see a lot of people that get all worked up about the selections Barack Obama has made for his cabinet and his anti-gun background. Even worse, I see a lot of people getting spun up about the activities of the police or the military or some blue helmeted storm troopers in black helicoptors coming to take away our rights! I've got a thought for you folks, there is indeed a threat and it is very real.

You see, here in Maryland, we as gun owners are second class citizens thanks largly to the work of the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Commitee, Sen Brian Frosh. Sen Frosh thinks that we're nuts. Those are his exact words. Problem is, bills that favor our cause such as a clear Castle Doctrine statute or a CCW bill, have to pass through his committee and he doesn't like them, so they die, in his committee without a vote.

We talk about Obama and his gun grabbing ways, but here's the truth. Presidents don't write legislation, Congress does. Furthermore, Obama isn't even in office yet, he hasn't done anything yet. Do I trust him, hell no, but he's not the current problem. The current problem is about to begin it's legislative session in Annapolis and we need to be active. Do you think your delegates and senators know how you feel about MD's gun laws? Have you taken the time to tell them? Have you ever sent them a letter, or called the office or even stopped in to chat with the staff? Do you know how to set up a meeting to speak with the staff? Can you afford to send $5.00 to your local pro-gun delegate and tell them that's so they can keep fighting for us? Can you spare 5 minutes, 5 minutes, you'll spend more reading this, can you spend 5 minutes to send a polite e-mail to the local anti-gun pol and explain why you won't donate to them? Can you take a few minutes to even figure out whether your locals support your rights or not?

We all have lives outside of here and the Christmas season is busy for all of us, myself included. All I'm asking for is a little focus. We can all see the challenges ahead, but let's not get caught up in the distractions and noise. We have a real problem right here in Maryland and the best thing about it is that we can do something positive about it. We can effect change here in Maryland and it starts now. Donate money while you still can and a little time when you can. Are your rights worth a few bucks and 5 minutes here and there? Can you spare an hour or two to make it to an MSI meeting? Nothing like networking face to face. Last meeting, member Mr. Phil drove up from Ocean City, about a 250 mile round trip. Need a ride down from Central MD, let me know. One of our members who's a card carrying proud Democrat showed up, why, because this isn't a Republicans vs. Democrats issue. This is us as Marylanders fighting for our Constitutional rights. We made some plans and laid some groundwork, but there's a lot to be done. Don't like meetings? Don't want to join MSI, that's cool. Can you send off some e-mails from home for the cause? You like talk radio? Think maybe you can contact one of the local guys and see if they'll give us a segment dedicated to the fight? I bet we can help you find people that could go on-air and make a good case for us. Think maybe we can apply some pressure to Sen Frosh from outside his district through the editorial pages? I think we can.

So, tell us here, in this thread, what are you doing to help the cause?

I think we've now shown what is possible.

Now, to build on it!!

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Everyone on here keeps talking about fighting by using your vote. That's fantastic. You won today. We have a republican governor. Hold your breath while you wait for him to further gun rights. This isn't an up down trend, this is a downward spiral. we won today. we'll probably lose tomorrow, and when that happens more rights will be chipped away. Who knows you might win after that! But wait the next republican isn't going to undo anything he will just be the plateau before the fall. You see the trend? Vote all you want you'll win in the short run but will always lose the long game. Kinda selfish to say I don't want to do something super hard but voting is easy enough, I can keep my rights but those who come later down the line will be SOL. I don't think those calling for action are talking about mass shootings. I believe they are calling for an armed group to stand up and say no more. To take action and say this has gone too far we aren't going to comply, we would rather die on our feet rather than bending over to the laws you have put forth. That's called a militia. They are the ONLY reason you can have guns in the first place. By standing by and complying with the laws as opposed to disobeying them you are validating them. By validating them you are supporting them. So go ahead and give voting a chance... I'll cover you.

So you're saying that by not voting we'd be making things better? :lol: :lol2:

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I discovered this thread and read back through a number of the posts. There seems to be a lot of despair and fatalism. And anyone who "has a history" would certainly know why this is so.

Various orgnaizations have been carrying the water at the legislative level. We have them to thank for their yeoman's efforts to stem the tide of hoplophobia.

An approach that has proven successful in other arenas is an organized, coordinated campaign of citizen direct action. This can attract attention, shift the arena, reframe the agenda and sieze the initiate. There's just one big challenge involved: it requires a growing group of committed folks who are prepared to invest time and energy to build networks--at the belly button to belly button and eyeball to eyeball level--that are committed to the "long game."

I've been involved in these endeavors in the past. They do bear fruit. They require a lot of unglamorous work. And they do produce some pretty exciting "encounters." It's time to seriously explore this strategy.

If there's any interest in discussing this strategy I would suggest that we take the discussion offline. Verbal exchanges will be more productive than digital missives back and forth.

What do you think?

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    joppj, and EVERYONE else,

Much as I try to deny it, I've entered the ranks of "the old guys." I guess that gives me the right to offer some background. joppj, very simply, I been there. Several times I have been involved in the organization of statewide groups to do what you seem to propose. I have made countless trips around Maryland promoting those groups but especially, this idea that IF we could just stick together, and each do his part, we could be a force to be reckoned with. The most important part of that equation is that just as most of the people live in a few counties. Just as most of the anti-gun politicians are from those same counties. Most of the gun owners are ALSO FROM THOSE COUNTIES!!! Times like these when emotion is high, everyone is all for. As soon as the threat is past OR we lose the individual fight, interest returns to other things and support vanishes. Unless and until 2A becomes and remains the #1 political goal of those it affects, not just when there's a threat but every day, every election, every GA session,we're going to continue to be ignored by the legislature. I hope that changes one day. I hope the people directly affected by this theft of rights wake up and stay vigilant to the threat. Past experience has not supported that hope... but I can still hope. YOU guys are that hope. Make it happen this time boys.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Hmmm
    You know according to another thread here I'm supposed to go out to rallys and dress like a pipe hitter, kit and all that. Grow a big beard, chest rig open carry stuff. Had my manhood questioned for questioning a better way. Strange how stuff shifts all over this board. Not a dig but food for thought is that those thinking about direct action should seriously think about the end game, at least getting a visit from the many LEO agencies that monitor board just like this, at worst Bosnia.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Hmmm
    You know according to another thread here I'm supposed to go out to rallys and dress like a pipe hitter, kit and all that. Grow a big beard, chest rig open carry stuff. Had my manhood questioned for questioning a better way. Strange how stuff shifts all over this board. Not a dig but food for thought is that those thinking about direct action should seriously think about the end game, at least getting a visit from the many LEO agencies that monitor board just like this, at worst Bosnia.
    Been to Mostar. It still ain't pretty.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Hmmm

What about Bosnia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom