• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Minimum 28" barrel, rated for steel shot, short enough tube for a plug per game laws, no rifle sights, vent rib barrel, and removable chokes. I could use the 3-gun shotguns for deer, but there's no way I'm jamming something in the tubes to plug them.

I believe my 88 has all of that except for the vent rib barrel!!!!!!!!
    Still think I'm gonna get me an over under still

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Looks like it's all been pretty well covered.

I've owned the Browning Maxus, A400 Extreme (not plus) and Benelli SBE2. I now use a Browning Cynergy (3.5" O/U).

My choice would be the A400. Beretta doesn't screw around, they're masters at the autoloader in my opinion. While I really liked my Maxus (MOSGB Camo), the stock is funky, feels like a youth 20ga stock to me. LOP seems super short, the grip is small, buttstock is NARROW.

I just went to Saskatchewan, 5 guys killed over 170 birds in 5 days. Suffice to say the Maxus was deadly and 100% reliable for me. For the price point, it's likely the best "bang" for the buck, I bought mine from Reeds Family Outdoors (aka Northern Firearms), one of the best online gun retailers in my opinion.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Also, be careful with ANYTHING other than a 28" barrel on an autoloader.

Re-sale on the 26 is somewhat limited to turkey hunters, kids and people who don't know any better. A 30" is unwieldy in blind, a 30" A-400 is over 51" long.....;)

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Berretta is what I have . all my friends have Benelli .nice but I like the Berreta .pricey if your on a budget .heck I still pull out my ole 870 for all around shotgun .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked up the 391, it's actually pretty light, even with the stock. I'm thinking the Beretta 400 with a synthetic stock for waterfowl. Cabela's has a Black Friday sale, I'll be there Friday to take a look at one.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How many rounds do you have through the gun and how much dirt has it seen from hunting? I really do think the Benelli Super Vinci or even the Vinci is the best hunting shotgun out there. Just no way for that thing to not cycle. I know the weak link in my Beretta 391, Beretta 400, and Benelli SBE. While they are all great guns, the 391 and SBE have given me issues. Not too terrible to fix, and only once with the 391 and twice with the SBE, but they sucked when out hunting.

Good question; my Beretta experience has been with trap, skeet, and clays, so I cannot attest to its performance in a hunting environment.

A pump action might be better choice for reliability.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's been interesting finding a shotgun in the configuration I wanted in any of the local stores. It's all pretty much tactical rifles, black semiauto handguns, and tactical shotguns. The local small shops have very few used bird hunting shotguns, and they are older and come with barrels and/or chokes that won't work with steel shot. These are fine for grouse, quail, and pheasants. Waterfowl, with their annoying steel shot requirements, are another unicorn. I'm ending up having to go to Cabela's toget a Bereta 400 plus, since they have one in stock and it's onsale. I will be there bright and early to get this shotgun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Egh......

These modern autloaders are super reliable.

Some, but not all. In 20 years with my SBE, I have had issues with it twice, and both times were due to crud buildup in the recoil spring tube. My single issue with my 391 was because of carbon buildup in the gas ports. Back at the house, a drill bit on a dremel fixed that up. That shotgun is about 17 years old now.

I have a friend that had a problem with a Stoeger semi-auto. He cussed at it for a couple of years and then went out and bought a SBEII.

Don't think I would go hunting with a pump gun ever again. O/U, maybe.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's been interesting finding a shotgun in the configuration I wanted in any of the local stores. It's all pretty much tactical rifles, black semiauto handguns, and tactical shotguns. The local small shops have very few used bird hunting shotguns, and they are older and come with barrels and/or chokes that won't work with steel shot. These are fine for grouse, quail, and pheasants. Waterfowl, with their annoying steel shot requirements, are another unicorn. I'm ending up having to go to Cabela's toget a Bereta 400 plus, since they have one in stock and it's onsale. I will be there bright and early to get this shotgun.

Good luck to you tomorrow. I have no desire to go out in that mess that they call Black Friday. The retailers call it Black Friday and the consumers should call it Red Friday.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, gents. It's been fun reading all of the responses. For whatever reason, I went from no hunting shotguns to three :o. It took almost three hours, but I got the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus for $100 off the regular price. The Italians know how to put a package together. This is my third Italian shotgun. I got four extra chokes, plus bits and pieces to help adjust the stock. I have not shot it yet, looks like that'll happen Monday. Anyway, pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20181123_153233515.jpg
      IMG_20181123_153233515.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 88
    • IMG_20181123_153857614.jpg
      IMG_20181123_153857614.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 82
    • IMG_20181123_154552192.jpg
      IMG_20181123_154552192.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 86

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks, gents. It's been fun reading all of the responses. For whatever reason, I went from no hunting shotguns to three :o. It took almost three hours, but I got the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus for $100 off the regular price. The Italians know how to put a package together. This is my third Italian shotgun. I got four extra chokes, plus bits and pieces to help adjust the stock. I have not shot it yet, looks like that'll happen Monday. Anyway, pics attached.

Very nice looking gun. Now, you should be ready for pretty much anything.

How did you end up with 3 hunting shotguns? Not that there is anything wrong with that. lol

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Congrats on the purchase. I'd be shocked if it doesn't meet/exceed your expectations.
    It'll likely need shimmed DOWN a bit, most people find they are sitting high (seeing a ton of rib).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How did you end up with 3 hunting shotguns? Not that there is anything wrong with that. lol

Organically? It just kinda happened.

Congrats on the purchase. I'd be shocked if it doesn't meet/exceed your expectations.
    It'll likely need shimmed DOWN a bit, most people find they are sitting high (seeing a ton of rib).

I'm going to have to shoot it before I know. I'm not used to shooting flying things, I've mostly used a shotgun for 3-gun and SASS.

Cool! I'm looking forward to the full range report.

I'm taking a "new shotgun shooter" class tomorrow at Bull Run. I'll try to shoot after the class if it's not pouring rain.

Congrats on your consumption.

I will freely admit that I'm a gear hound :D

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Congratulations. I use my Beretta Extrema for geese and duck . Have a Mossberg 935 that use /set up for Turkey. Remington 870 that I’ve had forever squirrel and rabbit or I still take it for duck sometimes.also like my double barrel for upland game also. Remington 1100 for clays . Mix it up . Son and I argue about Berreta when goose hunting on who uses it . Like to get a short barrel on it for turkey but I use a red dot so I don’t like changing set up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I hate rainy days. With that out of the way, I was the only one in the afternoon class. The instructor asked if I brought my shotgun with me. Not sure if it was a trick question, so I said maybe. Since I actually had shooting experience, he ended up letting me use my new Beretta. He gave me the lowdown on what to do, then I got to shoot. Thanks to the deluge, we only shot out of the center shoot hut thing. He's handing me shells, I'm shooting clays. I hit 18 out of 20. The shells were 1 oz loads, and the bolt didn't lock back for the first six shots. Then it started locking back properly. I also got to shoot a 20 gauge O/U, hit both clays with that. So far so good. I'll be shooting 3" then 3.5" shells on Monday.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Bolt not staying back may be an intermittent issue with 1oz loads or light target loads. Just heard there was a similar review on Cableas. Having it super clean before using light loads is probably a good idea.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Bolt not staying back may be an intermittent issue with 1oz loads or light target loads. Just heard there was a similar review on Cableas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom