• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 9, 2018
    getting ready to send off my collectors app. what is the tracking number section. do I need to fill anything out there? thanks

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yep, leave it blank. You'll get a letter back, no number or other identifying info.

In the half dozen instances I've purchased more than one regulated firearm at once, I've never been asked to provide proof of my collector status. I suspect the MSP doesn't check either, maybe they do above a certain threshold--but given the other bone-headed gun laws that Annapolis has passed the MSP generally has a more practical view of things.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Once you get the letter, make copies and carry one with you or take a picture on your phone and keep it there. Most FFL’s won’t need to see it now days but it would be good to have a copy on you whenever looking to buy.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Friend is filling out his Designated Firearm Collectors application, forget what I put in "Describe nature of collecting activities:"

Any suggestions?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Been stated many, many times in the past but its not a license. It's an application to be Designated a Maryland Firearms Collector

The FFL 03 is a license

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    "All legal purposes." No need to pigeon-hole yourself.

^ This. It's the standard answer to "why" when filling in any gun form, federal or state. There's no reason to provide any more detail or reason for anyone to deny you.

Although one of us should try "Not terrorism, definitely not terrorism" just once and see what happens.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just gets around the “1 in 30day rule”. I personally have my original copy filed away and have a copy in each of my cars in case of a sudden shopping spree.

No need to carry. Dealer does not need to see it. MSP checks when they process the 77r

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Instead of starting a new topic I figured I would ask here.

I'm planning to send in my Designated Collector application once the handgun I ordered arrives at the LGS and the wait period is over. My question is regarding multiple firearm purchases as a Designated Collector. I've done a lot of digging both on here and Google searches but can't find anything besides the general Designated Collector posts on here asking what to put for the "nature of collecting activities". I assume when I order two firearms online I just go to the MDSP licensing portal and do two 77r's making sure to choose yes on the Designated Collector question? Anything else I need to do?

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    Nope, once you are completed on the portal like you said select designated collector, you may have to create a new profile or call MSP to add it to your existing then from that point on its automatically there.

I would send in the paperwork now for your collectors license being it is not valid until MSP processes it and sends you the letter.

Instead of starting a new topic I figured I would ask here.

I'm planning to send in my Designated Collector application once the handgun I ordered arrives at the LGS and the wait period is over. My question is regarding multiple firearm purchases as a Designated Collector. I've done a lot of digging both on here and Google searches but can't find anything besides the general Designated Collector posts on here asking what to put for the "nature of collecting activities". I assume when I order two firearms online I just go to the MDSP licensing portal and do two 77r's making sure to choose yes on the Designated Collector question? Anything else I need to do?

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Based on other posts I need to have one regulated firearm before submitting my application. The handgun I'm waiting on would be my first regulated firearm.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    Ah I believe you are correct. Once you do have that one then you will be good to go to get the collectors designation.

Based on other posts I need to have one regulated firearm before submitting my application. The handgun I'm waiting on would be my first regulated firearm.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Doesn't the collector license allow you to "transport your personal display" or something like that.. Basically allowing you to go more place than home->range, home->gunsmith, home->hunting.. that sort of thing??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom