• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Per Patrick (MSI) no more sitting on apps by MSP. Issued or denied. Period.

The question I have is will they offer to hold the 365. After all they applied before the stay and things are still up in the air.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    It's written right in the order
    "Upon consideration of the filings relative to the motion to stay pending appeal, the court grants the motion. The court further directs that this case be expedited and tentatively calendared for oral argument during the October, 2012 session of court, October 23-26, 2012"

Thats about 90 days.

Correct me if I'm wrong..... In the end it doesn't mean that this will still not get dragged out in the CA4?

EDIT: Esqappellate Answered

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Once again, glad i applied before the original stay. So we still wait but at least we're in limbo. Others are not so lucky

AFAIK, G & S is still legal and they don't have to issue the 365 until the 4CA rules in October.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    An expedited appeal is a big deal. It means you get to jump in front of the line for oral argument and for resolution. Highly unusual to get an oral argument date before all the briefs are filed. And yes, they can issue a one-line order like this. Not uncommon. By expediting it, they recognize the importance of the case and seek to minimize the length of time the stay pending appeal is in place.

My question is, a stay isn't always bad right? I mean just because they grant the stay doesn't mean they are leaning one side or the other, but that its a courtesy thing while they sort things out. This is what I heard, and I'm wondering what you think.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    And so, pending October, our attention now must swing back to defending our current position against mischief by the General Assembly starting 8 days from now.

Keep your powder dry and your phones/emails/faxs/visits ready to go...

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Once again, glad i applied before the original stay. So we still wait but at least we're in limbo. Others are not so lucky
    we hope we wait. i have a sinking feeling I just paid the state to deny me my rights. I also just sunk $80 into an IWB holster that will sit largely unused until at least November IF WE'RE LUCKY.

damn this state. damn it to hell.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    And I deleted all of my posts in the other thread as everyone called me a pessimist when I said there would be a stay even if God requested there be no stay..

I knew no matter what our side said there would be a stay..

Inside politics folks..whether you want to believe it or not..but..don't say I didn't tell ya so..

Till whenever..:)

Removed....angry....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And I deleted all of my posts in the other thread as everyone called me a pessimist when I said there would be a stay even if God requested there be no stay..

Inside politics folks..whether you want to believe it or not..but..don't say I didn't tell ya so..

Your opinion was based on pessimism, not legal prognostication.

BFD

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Wow, do they even read the submissions or is that just a formality. It really seemed like Maryland was picking at straws whereas Gura obviously refuted and shot down anything they had to say. I have to say I really thought it was going to lean in our favor.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So they don't have to justify why they granted a stay? They can just grant the stay and that's it?

My strong guess was simply to maintain the status quo until a merits panel can consider it. This is just a punt to the merits panel. That's a whole lot better than a stay based on a finding that MD is likely to prevail on the merits.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I wonder will the case will be mooted by new laws from Annapolis next season?

That's a good question...if nothing else it gives the GA months more time to plan on how to try ruin things no matter what the ruling ultimately is.

Oh well - the fat lady hasn't started singing yet, not even close.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

Hindsight makes things remarkably clear, eh?

Bluntly stated, you didn't know shit about the outcome of the motion.

Let's not pretend you're clairvoyant. You had a contrary opinion and it turns out you were correct. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    In the grand scheme of things, I'd go so far as to say that this is good news. Yes, they stayed the decision. Yes, we'll have to wait for CA4 to hear this case before we get a final decision. But that final decision will be coming relatively quickly in terms of Federal jurisprudence.

Having said that, I'm still disappointed. And I'm also keenly interested in seeing how MSP responds to this regarding applications that were already processed (i.e. "The 365"). I imagine that we'll be hearing from Patrick at some point soon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom