• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That's existing law. The only addition is it adds retired police to the list of exemptions. While it would be nice to see that whole section of the law gone, I'm not seeing much new here.

When you read these bills the changes to current law are denoted with bold type, and deletions or amendments are show with strike out lines over the old text.

Nope they added traing. Moved 5 to six. Tricky sobs.:mad:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I know how to read them. Look at page 6 of the PDF, which adds an open-ended training requirement, with no definitions, to the permit section of current law.

I stand corrected. Also note the bill as being shown in the MLIS system is in an incomplete form and does not show the amendments in the pdf of either reading. First time I've ever seen that happen.

Yes this is very bad. They can't win on "good and substantial" in the courts so they're going to make it difficult to pass
    a required course to carry or even just to purchase.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Emailed and called Sen Dyson. Talked a staffer. "Is that the gun bill?" She seemed happy that I was calling to voice displeasure ....not sure what to make of that.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I stand corrected. Yes this is very bad. They can't win on "good and substantial" in the courts so they're going to make it difficult to pass
    a required course.

With no course in place there can be no applications. Tada! Carry is now banned for anyone without a permit.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    It already passed the house, right? So talking to Delegates won't help. Focus on Senate. Talked to my wifes aunt and told her to get Dyson to do something to kill it...she knows him.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    With no course in place there can be no applications. Tada! Carry is now banned for anyone without a permit.

I am curious as to what happens with applications that were sent in to the system before the effective date of the law (01OCT2012, if passed by both houses and signed by our lovely governor) but are being held for processing pending the stay/appeals process for Woollard.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    It already passed the house, right? So talking to Delegates won't help. Focus on Senate. Talked to my wifes aunt and told her to get Dyson to do something to kill it...she knows him.

Need to get the Delegates prepped for when the amended bill (if passed) comes back from the Senate for their rubber-stamp approval.

kjp1231

May 17, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Forgive my ignorance, but since Legg's ruling are they now trying to legislate Good and Substantial reason?

"has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”.

Why would they put that in the bill if it's already on the books and currently ruled to be unconstitutional, pending stay and appeal?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

That was nice of Frosh. Take a small bill meant to help retired police out just a hair and totally change it into something to suit his personal gun control agenda. What a prick.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

It has to go back to the house.

The emails tools allow you to easily email both.

Do the senate first, then the house then call the senate and call the house.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    E-mailed four delegates ... three in 30, one in 6 (personal freind)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Forgive my ignorance, but since Legg's ruling are they now trying to legislate Good and Substantial reason?

"has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”.

Why would they put that in the bill if it's already on the books and currently ruled to be unconstitutional, pending stay and appeal?

that threw me at first as well.

they are just moving it within the existing law. From 5 (ii) to 6 (ii) to make room for the training requirement. That way they won't have to renumber again when the 4th circuit throws it our for good.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

That is already existing in the law, which will likely not be changed until the appeals process is worn out.

When reading bills:
    1. Text in bold is being added to the code in the designated sections
    2. Text in [ ] or strike-through is being removed from the designated sections

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Hopefully I emailed everyone. The system was really backed up and took forever to go through.

If I don't get any responses from delegates, I will do it again later.

drmsparks,
    What if you previously had carry permits in the past from 2 different jobs. Would that count "towards training"?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just note you guys that you need to see the amendments posted in the attachments here to see the amendments they are trying to put with this bill. The MLIS system does not have the updated version (at least at the time of this writing) and still makes the bill look harmless. I just went back and looked again and neither the first nor the third reading pdf's have the amendments tacked onto them.

Have never seen that happen before. Really makes one wonder if they "forgot" about doing it.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Yes...and Underlining is the amendment...which in this case the old 5ii, is included in the Amendment 5-135, para 6(ii)......G&S all over again.......

If I read this right...seems it is unconstitutional based on the Legg decision.....

But then I know not about such things....

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom