• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Long term, like I think just about everyone of course, I’d like to get into .50 bmg. For those who’ve done it, what gun did you get? Would you have done it differently? Single shot and hard remorse should’ve gotten bolt action? Bolt action and should’ve gotten semi auto?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I got the AR50 several years ago, it's a single shot bolt action. Even though there's not many places to shoot it around here I'm still happy with it. I've shot it at AGC & I have a farm in Va as well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, it comes down to "do you have a place to shoot it?" It's like buying a 37mm launcher, they're awesome, but they require some forward thinking on utility... even if it's a SHTF-type thing, you still need to zero it.

Semi-auto 50s start at about $7500, so I'd suggest your only real option here is a bolt-action - be it single-shot or mag-fed.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I bought a zel custom single shot bolt action they no longer made but have a new company making them.
    I would like to have a serbu 50 bmg but they are expensive almost to much for around here and the ammount it gets shot.

Serbun has a single shot called rn50 it is somewhat cheeper. But it is a pain in the butt to load and unload.

I also reload for it.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD

Attachments

• m2 008 (1).jpg
      m2 008 (1).jpg
      51 KB · Views: 611

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    We should get MDS together for a BMG range day.

OP: I wouldn't settle for less than a bolt action. Mag fed isn't that big a deal unless you jump all the way to a semi auto.
    FWIW, I have a Serbu BFG50A. I've shot a friend's Barret 107 and Steyr 50.

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    We should get MDS together for a BMG range day.

OP: I wouldn't settle for less than a bolt action. Mag fed isn't that big a deal unless you jump all the way to a semi auto.
    FWIW, I have a Serbu BFG50A. I've shot a friend's Barret 107 and Steyr 50.

How's the serbu? Good accuracy and reliability ? How bad is the recoil ?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How's the serbu? Good accuracy and reliability ? How bad is the recoil ?

I've only shot to 100 & 200yds w/ ball ammo so far so can't comment on accuracy. Its supposed to be quite good (but likely not as good as my friend's Steyr.)

Recoil: Been a while since I shot his M107 but I think the Serbu is less. Maybe equivalent to 12ga buck shot from a pump? Nothing to bad. His guns both slide you back on a shooting mat and the Serbu doesn't. None of them have terrible recoil due to the effective brakes.

Its eaten everything I've fed it so far. Picked it up this summer so only fired ~100 shots. Serbu says to not run American Eagle so I've steered clear of that. They say everything else is fine.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    We used to use it at Delmarva all the time and it never set anything on fire. Target was a manhole cover dropped on the berm.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    We used to use it at Delmarva all the time and it never set anything on fire.
    I was at the Delmarva at the MDS event when someone *DID* set the 300yd berm on fire (can't remember who's 50. Sleeve-less?). Luckily I had brought a bunch of used fire extinguishers we were shooting at and between shovels and just pouring them out on the fire it was contained quickly. That got API/incendiary rounds banned there. I don't know of any public ranges that still allow incendiary or tracer rounds.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I must have missed that event. They killed tracers there completely? Last time I had some there they said none past 200, but that was 2017 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom