• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I've wanted a lever gun for a while, and I also wanted a rifle that shares caliber with one of my pistols. Eventually I decided on the Henry All Weather in .357 and picked a new one up at a good price at Gunbroker. After it arrived I took it out back to the range and had a good time with the first magazine load of 10 rounds. I reloaded and sent 7 more onto the targets, but the last case wouldn't eject. The lever would move a bit, and I could see just a bit of movement of the trigger and hammer, but it was otherwise locked up solid.

I called Henry and spoke to Alan in the tech department, who asked me to send him a video of what was going on. That was six weeks ago. I called and left messages, but never heard back from the tech department again.

So I went to the Henry website, filled out the warranty form, and received a shipping label and return authorization. It's on the Fedex truck today. Needless to say, thus far I'm not too pleased with Henry Repeating Arms.

Any ideas about what might cause what you see in the video? I'm applying enough force to deflect the lever, but she just wouldn't budge.

https://youtu.be/TcreZkS8U0c

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Henry, LOL. A friend of mine was gifted a 30 30. He brought it to the range with me and pushed me to shoot it As he couldn't hit the paper.

Reluctantly I shouldered the firearm
    It just didn't feel right, I put it down and walked away.

A week later, he informed me that the stock had been installed UPSIDE-DOWN. I was thinking WTH. I haven't seen the gun since, but if that was true, Henry quality control went out the window.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    DP12,
    were you shooting 38 or 357 through it?
    Although My Henry golden boy is supposed to shoot both, I find it has feed problems with certain 38 cartridges.
    I reload my own and don't have any guns in 357 so that was kind of a bummer that I needed to load 357 for it (I have plenty of components for it, so that was not a problem)

I got the Henry from my dad and the ejector was snapped. Henry sent me a new one at no charge and I replaced it myself. I'm wondering if that is the issue cause if it snapped, the broken part has to be somewhere and that somewhere may be in a bad place.

LenS

Jul 24, 2005
    Мэрилендщина
    According to Henry, it is "primarily designed with .357 Magnum cartridges in mind. While you can use .38 SPL loads, you must ensure they are 158GR with overall length that closely mimics the .357 Magnum cartridge. Due to the shoulder location on the carrier, the gun will not feed 110GR, 125GR, 130GR, etc. .38SPL loads reliably".

Happy shooting.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Watching with interst. First negative experience I've ever heard about with Henry.

Were you using factory ammunition or reloads?
    Factory ammo, Tula 38spl 130gr. When it happened, I dug through the box thinking I need to RTFM. The manual says don't use anything less than 158gr or you can have feeding problems. Alan at Henry said he uses 130 all the time without trouble, and that mine is having an ejection problem, not feeding.

Last edited:

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    DP12,
    were you shooting 38 or 357 through it?
    Although My Henry golden boy is supposed to shoot both, I find it has feed problems with certain 38 cartridges.
    I reload my own and don't have any guns in 357 so that was kind of a bummer that I needed to load 357 for it (I have plenty of components for it, so that was not a problem)
    I read the manual after the problem happened. :lol2:

I don't have any 357 guns, but I had a case of 38spl 130gr I've used with my old S&W Model 10. I thought that might have been the problem, but Alan at Henry says he shoots that all the time with no trouble. And he pointed out that it's not a loading problem I'm having, it's an ejection problem.

It's all a big mystery.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Cleaned and oiled before first use? I have a Maverick 88 that doesn't like to eject spent shells unless the chamber is well lubed.

I wonder if the correct way to clear the jam would be working a dowel down the barrel while trying the lever?

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    do you have the spents from the first ten and second six if so compare marks on casings to see if anything looks amiss. thats all the helpful ideas i got. :innocent0

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I don't, deerhtr, but in retrospect I should have taken a close look at them.

BossmanPJ, what grain do you run?

May 19, 2016
    Sorry the OP had problems, but glad the board has plenty of helpful people. I like my Henry rifles in .22lr and .45 colt. Hopefully after it comes back you have nothing but good times to wash away this experience. At least you may have learned something from this. I know I have.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I got my Henry back, and it works great. The repair ticket says "smoothed chamber." I also got a call from some manager at the company, who apologized for their failure to follow up on my initial inquiries and subsequent calls that went unanswered.

I sent 20 rounds through it in the backyard range after the UPS guy dropped it off. It works as smooth as butter. I'd say Henry's restored my faith in the company, though perhaps they should have "smoothed the chamber" before it left the factory the first time.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I have several golden boys, the .44 gave me some trouble with a broken firing pin and 2 cracked tube magazines. The mags were cracking the ends off from the recoil but then again I put thousands of rounds through the rifle. Customer service was always top notch. I would get my rifle back cleaned,polished and once with new fore and butt stocks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have several golden boys, the .44 gave me some trouble with a broken firing pin and 2 cracked tube magazines. The mags were cracking the ends off from the recoil but then again I put thousands of rounds through the rifle. Customer service was always top notch. I would get my rifle back cleaned,polished and once with new fore and butt stocks.

A good number of rounds through that 44 Henry. Must be a favorite of yours. Cudos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom