• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    A heavy barrel in maryland needs to be at least 1.75 oz per inch (28 oz for a 16" barrel) and .75 in at the gas block.

According to who?

If you can not cite legislation or case law it isn't prudent to state your opinion as fact.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hope you realize I was being sarcastic, poking fun at post #38 at how retarded MD laws are. Barrels are heavy profile if and only of they are advertised or marked as such.

You? Sarcastic? No way!

:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was hoping for another epic "what is an HBAR thread" and "where will MDSP caliber my barrel" thread.
    I can't believe I'm still seeing this thread. Shocking I say!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That’s what I thought, too... but if you check the MSP web site, it looks like somebody asked for a review and on 2/28/2018 the MSP decided that even though the Colt LE6920 SOCOM is (presumably) an HBAR, it’s now banned as a copy... unless I’m somehow reading that wrong.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/

Yet, even though the FN-15 1776 model is *not* advertised as an HBAR:

https://fnamerica.com/products/discontinued-products/fn-15-1776/

...and the FN-15 Carbine is, the same MSP website indicates that the 1776 is *not* banned.

So now... I don’t know what to think about this HBAR business. Is there some other reason why the Colt LE6920 SOCOM would be banned? Is it possible that there is a non-HBAR version of the LE6920 SOCOM?

That MSP website has zero legal weight. The MSP themselves have said, in writing, in response to a lawsuit brought by Engage Armament, that the website is not legally binding and is just "helpful advice" from MSP on what is and isn't banned. MSP has always said that buyers should contact their FFL or the manufacturer to determine if something is banned or not.

The only things that are banned in this state are the ones that are listed specifically in the statute, or rifles which fail the tests enumerated in that statute, no matter what the MSP website says.

A heavy barrel in maryland needs to be at least 1.75 oz per inch (28 oz for a 16" barrel) and .75 in at the gas block.

According to where? All guidance from MSP has always been that if an AR is listed, advertised, marked or described by the manufacturer as having a heavy barrel then it is not banned.

If FN says this is a heavy barrel, then it is not banned here.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I believe the mil contract FN M16/M4 do not have CHF barrels. So the button rifled barrels might actually be milspec.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Mil-spec barrels aren't necessarily 'all that'. US DOD requirement for M16-M4 accuracy is somewhere around 10MOA @ 100 meters. I'll take my chances on civi-grade barrels, thank you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think it's closer to 4-5 MOA, but I don't have a cite on that.
    You're probably right. I know it isn't good, considering they'll bend warped barrels back 'straight' and put them back into service.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom