• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Is there any place charging more for a transfer?

I asked if this is correct for two transfers and he says "Yes, $80 + $80 is $160." I said that is high and he gives me a well practiced canned response "Some are lower and some are higher and we are right in the middle."
    I will need another Blue Label Dealer! View attachment 365074

There isn’t an emoticon that displays shock and disgust simultaneously, is there?

I’m showing this to my current FFL in Hickory who still charges only $10 per transfer (and is literally apologetic when he reminds customers it is still “$10 per transfer, not visit …”

But, only because he’s announced they are going to closing their shop and retiring some tween now and 2024 …

$160. That’s so, so, Iron Curtain-like …

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've recently discovered Field Traders in Pasadena and did some transfers with them. Their policy is $40 for a transfer, and if you're a designated collector and are doing more than one they discount the remaining by 50%. Your transfers would have been $60 at Field Traders.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    There isn’t an emoticon that displays shock and disgust simultaneously, is there?

I’m showing this to my current FFL in Hickory who still charges only $10 per transfer (and is literally apologetic when he reminds customers it is still “$10 per transfer, not visit …”

But, only because he’s announced they are going to closing their shop and retiring some tween now and 2024 …

$160. That’s so, so, Iron Curtain-like …
    I was excited for a minute. Until I realized you meant Hickory NC and not Hickory MD.
    I can walk to Hickory MD !

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    A buddy won 2 rifles at a NRA function. They (the organizers) picked Freestate. Big mistake. They charged him $75 for each.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't mind paying a transfer fee to an FFL, but I find the disparity in pricing to be interesting. In the short time I've been dealing with Field Traders in Pasadena, I've been impressed with their friendliness and level of service, and I wonder why I don't hear more about them on the pages of this forum.

FFL's pick their pricing - I realize they are providing a service and that the service is worth something, but when you've got one guy charging $40 and then halving the price for additional transfers, (possibly because they were part of the same order, so they could be included on one form?) but the guy up the road is hitting you with $80 per item regardless...that's not the guy I'd do business with anymore.

I suppose that for many of these FFLs, a large part of their business doesn't come from regular repeat customers, so they probably don't mind losing a few folks - they still make out better in the long run, but at a time when we're getting hit on all sides, it seems that these folks could be helping us out rather than making a point to bilk us out of more.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I'm sure they exist, but I have not encountered any FFL who charges more than $80. So the comment that "some charge more and some charge less" does not match my experience. Every FFL I have contacted and/or used charges less than $80 for a transfer.

Cal68

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Been going to field traders for awhile now for various things , good guys in there . Like Cindys also but field traders is more personable I think. Tyler’s great people just out of the way for me. Small shop across street from field traders , Pasadena arms I believe it’s called .very small and has various hours but hell of nice guy and very reasonable .those are my pretty much go to places .

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I don't generally talk bad about this shop, ONLY because I see that they are active in the pro 2A political arena in MD. I bought my first rifle there, they made me wait 3 weeks before they let me pick it up.

They also seem to sell automatic knives, which is against the law in MD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't generally talk bad about this shop, ONLY because I see that they are active in the pro 2A political arena in MD. I bought my first rifle there, they made me wait 3 weeks before they let me pick it up.

They are protecting their livelihood. Nobody who charges $160 for 2 transfers gives a shit about the shooter.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    They are protecting their livelihood. Nobody who charges $160 for 2 transfers gives a shit about the shooter.
    Yeah, thats more or less how I feel, in broad strokes, but it does keep me from badmouthing them, for the time being.

I pay 20 for a transfer with my guy. If I get more than one at the same time, he never charges me for 2. Its an extra 10 for the MSP check for handguns, when he collects it. I usually have to remind him.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Wth... was that in late 2013 during the backlog?

That wouldn't be an excuse, because there were other options, but at least it would be a partial explanation.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Wth... was that in late 2013 during the backlog?

That wouldn't be an excuse, because there were other options, but at least it would be a partial explanation.
    Hah, that was about 2 years ago. I was calling them every day. When I finally picked it up, I saw the brady date written on the form. The guy saw me looking at it, and quickly tried to cover it, but I had already seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom