• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onthefarm

Jan 15, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I thought of another amendment and sent via email to Del. Smigiel via email this morning.

The idea behind the amendment would be to make the state financially liable if the police were unable to respond to a call in time to prevent harm to a ciitizen. I understand there are court cases that already have said the government isn't liable if unable to respond with LEO, but I don't think it prohibits the state from assuming the responsibility.

A couple of good points could be made on this. Some of my suggestions are:

1. LEO are unable to be at all places. It is up to citizens to protect themselves.

2. People who will be unable to afford the additional costs and time for the training are most likley to inhabit high crime areas. This would make them whole, as the state is hindering their right to self protect. Maybe an additional suggestion would be to means test the ability to sue. Stupid, but it is just to illustrate a point.

3. It is the state that is liable, as the state is making the new laws, not local government.

4. A suggestion of 5 minutes response time could be made. When that is said to be unreasonable, a question could be made as to what the appropriate time could be. Did they study and understand the affect this would have on people in high crime areas? An example of home invader kicking in door, and 5 minutes later the police have made their reponse time, the citizen has no recourse to sue. Of course, the real point is that police respond after the crime, not during so it can be stopped.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    BREAKING!!!!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mikesmigiel

"It appears that HB-281 is on the agenda for this morning for 3rd reader. We will ask that as a courtesy the bill be held so that we can order additional amendments and prepare to argue it. It also appears they took such a beating over saying no to off duty police officers carrying their firearms onto school property that they may now be ready to accept this as a friendly amendment. Stay tuned."

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

"It appears that HB-281 is on the agenda for this morning for 3rd reader. We will ask that as a courtesy the bill be held so that we can order additional amendments and prepare to argue it. It also appears they took such a beating over saying no to off duty police officers carrying their firearms onto school property that they may now be ready to accept this as a friendly amendment. Stay tuned."

AWESOME!

Make sure they know that I'm still running ads of their comments and votes RE off-duty police when 2014 rolls around. They aren't getting out of this one.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Thanks for that tidbit, Andi!

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I sure hope they hold it into the second session. I can't make the first session due to wife's appt at Hopkins. Maybe I can get my butt cheeks checked while I'm there. I think they're bruised from sitting in those coach class seats in the gallery last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom