• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: https://vcdl.org/join
    VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
    Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
    VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

I would like to thank the ten members who showed up tonight at the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting to support VCDL's position against an ordinance that would prohibit loaded long guns in vehicles on public roads.

I testified that based on a document provided to the Board by the Fairfax County Police Department, they should not pass the ban.

The police said two reasons to pass the ban were:

* a demonstration of interest in firearms regulation

* an opportunity to educate residents about firearms safety

I pointed out that neither of those reasons justifies making a new law.

The police had two reasons not to pass the ban, both of which I agreed with:

* no evidence of problems in Fairfax County related to the transportation of loaded shotguns and rifles

* requires officers to manipulate the firearm to determine if the gun is loaded, which could compromise officer safety. I added that it could end up in a situation where an officer inadvertently shoots the guns owner because of a mistake when manipulating the gun

One of our members who is a law-enforcement officer told the Board that officers are not trained on any guns but the ones they carry. So they might not know how to safely handle all the different long guns out there. The Fairfax County PD representative said the officers would be given training on a wide variety of guns if the ordinance passes. Oh, boy - that's going to be a time consuming and expensive proposition, if they do it right. Your tax dollars at work...

For a minute it looked like the proposed ordinance was going to be improved when supervisor Cook proposed an amendment to exempt those carrying long guns for their safety. Supervisor Herrity seconded it. However, the Board voted the amendment down.

Tyranny won out and the final ordinance passed UNANIMOUSLY. It will become effective on January 1, 2019.

NOTE: simply having a long gun in your vehicle does NOT give the police the probable cause to see if it is loaded or not. But that's not a guarantee that they won't do so anyhow.

VCDL is going to address the enabling law for this ordinance at the next General Assembly session, with the intent of making some improvements.

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Incrementalism. Again. Chipping away at Constitutional rights under the camouflage of public safety when there is no demonstrable reason to do so. Virginia used to be immune to this kind of ********. Guess they are infected with the same strain of disease that has run through our MGA like an epidemic. Very sad. :sad20:

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    If you’re not leaving the state, FOPA doesn’t apply.

Yup FOPA only applies to INTERSTATE transport, not INTRASTATE transport. State and local law applies

:facepalm: Oh, got it. Thanks!

That being said, it doesn't seem particularly safe to drive around with loaded long guns. I mean, I just took a hunter safety course, and it was very specific firearms should be transported unloaded.

What is the reasoning behind wanting to transport long guns loaded? Because you can/want to? It just doesn't seem useful, or practical to me.

p.s. for clarity sake, loaded is defined as one in the chamber, correct?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Oh, got it. Thanks!

That being said, it doesn't seem particularly safe to drive around with loaded long guns. I mean, I just took a hunter safety course, and it was very specific firearms should be transported unloaded.

What is the reasoning behind wanting to transport long guns loaded? Because you can/want to?

I imagine it's because some folks might want to be able to have a firearm for self defense ready more quickly if the need arises. Unless someone has a CCW, they're limited to having a long gun in the vehicle. It really doesn't present any danger except to someone who isn't familiar with the particular firearm. Just my $02, of course. I don't, but I appreciate that some other folks might want to do it that way. And pretty much every LEO in a cruiser has at least one loaded long gun in their vehicle.

edit: No, loaded means that ammo is in the tube or mag. Chambered is one in the chamber.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I imagine it's because some folks might want to be able to have a firearm for self defense ready more quickly if the need arises. Unless someone has a CCW, they're limited to having a long gun in the vehicle. It really doesn't present any danger except to someone who isn't familiar with the particular firearm. Just my $02, of course. I don't, but I appreciate that some other folks might want to do it that way. And pretty much every LEO in a cruiser has at least one loaded long gun in their vehicle.

edit: No, loaded means that ammo in the tube or mag. Chambered is one in the chamber.

Isn't CCW easy to get in VA?

To me, no mag or empty tube is excessive. The long gun isn't going to chamber AND fire a round on its own.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    When the Republicans are in charge of the white house, both houses of congress, and conservatives justices control the SCOTUS, this chipping away of the 2A will come to an end.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Isn't CCW easy to get in VA?

To me, no ammo in the mag is excessive. The long gun isn't going to chamber AND fire a round on its own.

Very easy, and many of us have one, even those of who live in MD. And there is no law requiring mags to be empty, even here.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I thought everyone, including Leos, were trained to treat every gun as if it were loaded. Does this now give them the responsibility to check.

It’s a trap!

Sarcasm/joking/don’t want to upset anyone.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Edited. That's what I meant. Inserted mag or full tube doesn't seem like a problem to me if the chamber is empty.

Agreed and understood.:D

In MD (and probably other states as well), a gun is considered loaded if there is a loaded mag in the gun and the chamber is empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom