• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I just picked up a Norinco 1897 trench gun. I am trying hard to find markings on it to tell me that it is a norinco but all I've found is a couple of matching numbers on the barrel and receiver and the reproduced "us" and "w 1897" stamps as well as the cartouche on the stock. I'm only curious because I looked at another 1897 cowboy model and on the solid side of the receiver it was stamped norinco and or made in china if memory serves. The only numbers I've found are "mil 95xx" if anyone knows about these guns apart from opinions on chinese guns I would appreciateit, thanks.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    That's probably one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen in a while. The Norinco trench guns were quite well proofed, and have a very fine reputation. They rank right up there with the Norinco 1911s, and if you have any idea about those, you'll know that they were and still are (when one can be found) the platform for some of the best race-gun builds out there.

The Norinco trench guns aren't easy to find, but if/when you find one, it's a gem.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Chinese make alot of junk. One thing they actually got right is weapons. I have quite a few norinco weapons, and i love every single one. Fit and finish seem to be on par with any other well made weapon if not better.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    That's probably one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen in a while. The Norinco trench guns were quite well proofed, and have a very fine reputation. They rank right up there with the Norinco 1911s, and if you have any idea about those, you'll know that they were and still are (when one can be found) the platform for some of the best race-gun builds out there.

The Norinco trench guns aren't easy to find, but if/when you find one, it's a gem.

GIMMEABREAK. Are you sure about that? Do you have some proof marks you can photo and post from that gun? What does "well proofed" mean? What proof house is that? A "gem" it ain't. A cheap copy yes, but not a "gem". Cheap is not always good, in fact it is seldom good. However, I'm not speaking from experience, only from what I have seen and read so maybe you are right.... and no, I don't know anything about Chicom 1911 race guns. I have on on a 70 series that a guy named Les built for me so I think I'll hang onto that.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    GIMMEABREAK. Are you sure about that? Do you have some proof marks you can photo and post from that gun? What does "well proofed" mean? What proof house is that? A "gem" it ain't. A cheap copy yes, but not a "gem". Cheap is not always good, in fact it is seldom good. However, I'm not speaking from experience, only from what I have seen and read so maybe you are right.... and no, I don't know anything about Chicom 1911 race guns. I have on on a 70 series that a guy named Les built for me so I think I'll hang onto that.

Says it all, right there.

Run a few, and get back to us.

Hint... BT/DT.

As for Series 70 guns, yeah, I've got a couple hanging around here somewhere. Les didn't need to work on them; they were fine from Colt. Les builds fine stuff, no doubt, but the only way to know is to run them. Try that, before you malign something. You might learn something.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Damn fine guns I have a bunch of Norinco rifles and shotguns . They are quality products . My 1897 is marked the same as yours . Shoot it enjoy it .Here is a pic of a few of mine , these are all Norincos.

Attachments

• norincos.JPG
      norincos.JPG
      119.4 KB · Views: 1,093
    • 001 (5).jpg
      001 (5).jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 1,176

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I just picked up a Norinco 1897 trench gun. I am trying hard to find markings on it to tell me that it is a norinco but all I've found is a couple of matching numbers on the barrel and receiver and the reproduced "us" and "w 1897" stamps as well as the cartouche on the stock. I'm only curious because I looked at another 1897 cowboy model and on the solid side of the receiver it was stamped norinco and or made in china if memory serves. The only numbers I've found are "mil 95xx" if anyone knows about these guns apart from opinions on chinese guns I would appreciateit, thanks.
    And if you want a clean repro bayonet to go on that clean repro trench gun, click here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=812540A&filter=trench+gun+bayonet&catid=0

The originals just don't look right on a shiny new weapon.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Norinco m97 trench gun!

Glad to see some other norinco owners. Took the trench broom to the range this afternoon and woke a few people up. Fired about 30 00 buck and 15 slugs through it with no problems of any kind. Even keyholed three slugs through the nose of a silouette target at max distance(indoor range)point of aim point of impact. My other norinco is an NHM-91 no complaints there either(only paid $209.00 for it new way back when). As far as shtf guns they make a good pair. Any ranges to blast targets besides paper around here?

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Glad to see some other norinco owners. Took the trench broom to the range this afternoon and woke a few people up. Fired about 30 00 buck and 15 slugs through it with no problems of any kind. Even keyholed three slugs through the nose of a silouette target at max distance(indoor range)point of aim point of impact. My other norinco is an NHM-91 no complaints there either(only paid $209.00 for it new way back when). As far as shtf guns they make a good pair. Any ranges to blast targets besides paper around here?

Delmarva Sporting Clays :thumbsup:

bowling pins exploding target . Id give em a call before ya get too crazy and ask what all you can bring . That said Ive see alot of stuff laying down range lol

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    After reading this thread I naturally got curious about my IAC imported Norinco 1897 Shotgun...I couldn't find any, so I sent an email to Marstar (http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/YL-M-97.shtm), here are the answers I recieved (the second reply is actually 2 answers from 2 different emails that they combined into one:

Subject: Re: Model 1897 Trench Gun
    Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:49:11 -0800
    To: sheriffjulyjohnson@hotmail.com

Re: Model 1897 Trench Gun‏

2/28/12

Reply ▼

Bob & Marion Dunlap

To r w

There are no proof marks. But Every gun is proof fired with one proof load and then followed up by five regular ounce and a quarter loads.

Bob

On Feb 26, 2012, at 4:30 PM, r w wrote:

Hello,

Since IAC is the importer of my Norinco Model 1897 Trench Gun (model 97T), I was wondering, can tell you me where to find the barrel proof marks?

Thank you for your time,

Ron

------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:32:42 -0500
    Subject: Re: Barrel Proof Marks

On 2/27/2012 6:10 PM, r w wrote:
    .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
    Really?

Why not?

How do I know that the shotgun is safe to shoot?

Ron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:18:25 -0500
    Subject: Re: Barrel Proof Marks

On 2/26/2012 6:46 PM, r w wrote:
    .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
    Hello,

Can you tell me where to locate the barrel proof marks on my Norinco model 1897 Trench Gun?

Thank you for your time,

Ron

GOOD DAY ,UNLESS YOU LIVE IN EUROPE YOU WILL PROBABLY WILL NOT FIND ANY PROOF MARKS .THANK YOU !!
    REGULATION IN NORTH AMERICA ARE DIFFERENT THEN IN EUROPE,HERE THEY TEST THE DESIGN AND NOT ALL FIREARMS PRODUCED ... YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH MODERN COMMERCIAL 2,75" SHOTSHELLS .THANK YOU !!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Lots of people automatically think the Chinese aren't capable of manufacturing anything but lead filled junk, however they fail to realize that the cheap consumer goods for export are so poorly made due to the cost constraints dictated by the American merchants who order and purchase these goods for sale in US stores. Every major retailer who is deep into private labeling has a buying office in China to facilitate just that.

As for their firearms, they are some of the most reliable in the world, but that's why they aren't bargain basement prices either in comparison, quality has a price.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Resurrecting this thread...What's a decent price (currently) for one of these? And where can I find one for my WW1 collection (even though it's a repro)?

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Only thing I can suggest is the regular gun web places like gun broker or arms list. I found mine at a gun and pawn on consignment so it never hurts to frequent such places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom