Waiting period for A Designated Firearm Collector?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter79

Apr 13, 2017
    Was speaking with one of the guys @ All Pawn in White Plains yesterday as I was picking up.. Another Hi point carbine (don't judge me.. Those things are addictive) GREAT SERVICE BTW.. Those guys are awesome, mentioned that I got their info off of here and they took GREAT care of me. And it was suggested to me after talking for a while that I apply for a designated collector license.

Now I understand that this license would allow me to purchase more than one regulated firearm within 30 days, but does this also exclude me from the 7 day waiting period? Would I be able to take immediate possession? Would I be able to purchase high capacity or would I still have to travel outside the state to purchase those?

I SHOULD have asked the ffl while I was there but my attention was diverted a little when I saw them adding a couple of new handguns in the case. My daughter just mentioned it to me as I was giving my new/used toy a good cleaning before the range opens up.

aps410

Dec 10, 2015
    Howard County
    Was speaking with one of the guys @ All Pawn in White Plains yesterday as I was picking up.. Another Hi point carbine (don't judge me.. Those things are addictive) GREAT SERVICE BTW.. Those guys are awesome, mentioned that I got their info off of here and they took GREAT care of me. And it was suggested to me after talking for a while that I apply for a designated collector license.

Now I understand that this license would allow me to purchase more than one regulated firearm within 30 days, but does this also exclude me from the 7 day waiting period? Would I be able to take immediate possession? Would I be able to purchase high capacity or would I still have to travel outside the state to purchase those?

I SHOULD have asked the ffl while I was there but my attention was diverted a little when I saw them adding a couple of new handguns in the case. My daughter just mentioned it to me as I was giving my new/used toy a good cleaning before the range opens up.

It does not exclude you from the 7 day waiting period, nor does it allow you to take possession of standard capacity magazines in state. If you plan on collecting or you foresee a lot of regulated firearms in your future it is a necessity.

Shooter79

Apr 13, 2017
    If I were to obtain one and was interested in doing private shows or public events often would that qualify as a G&S reason for a Maryland cc Permit when transporting them to and from said events? I've never had any issues with my Utah cc in the recognized states, and don't plan on transporting into DC.

If I were to obtain one and was interested in doing private shows or public events often would that qualify as a G&S reason for a Maryland cc Permit when transporting them to and from said events? I've never had any issues with my Utah cc in the recognized states, and don't plan on transporting into DC.

Most will agree that if you're not a business owner or politically connected, your chances of getting a Maryland carry permit are slim.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    I heard it will lesson the restrictions on firearm transportation.

If you do not have the gun collector status and you were to purchase a new pistol and wanted to show a friend, they would have to come to your place; however, if you have the gun collector status, you could take the new pistol to your friends to give private showing. I would see this as a huge advantage to have.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this interpretation?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I heard it will lesson the restrictions on firearm transportation.

If you do not have the gun collector status and you were to purchase a new pistol and wanted to show a friend, they would have to come to your place; however, if you have the gun collector status, you could take the new pistol to your friends to give private showing. I would see this as a huge advantage to have.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this interpretation?

OK by logic, but has no legal interpretation, precident or standing.

Logic and MD gun law do not intersect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Statute refers to Bona Fide Collector .

There is no definition of Bona Fide Collector in either Statute or Case Law .

I am not going very far out on a limb to predict that a DC Letter as sole factor won't fly .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Finally sending mine in. "Collecting modern and antique firearms" is what I have down.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    All Pawn is tops...more than
    reasonable, incredibly patient with
    old, fat guys who
    are computer stupid (Don't ask how
    I know....)...have gotten about five
    new best friends there...definitely
    my go-to guys. And, I live about an
    hour away - absolutely worth the trip.