• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Came across a company called dark angel medical a couple of years ago. They make different response kits that include tourniquets and chest seals and other stuff that comes neatly vacuumed sealed and with an awesome Molle pouch. Everything is very simple to deploy in the event of an emergency. I was faced with a situation where I had to use the med kit and it performed flawlessly. Their motto is simplicity under stress and that's exactly what it was. I am not affiliated with this company and I'm not sure if there's any rules about talking about a company. Just wanted to share my experience.

If you carry a gun or even when at the range carry a med kit and get some medical training. Hope you never have to use it but be confident when you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    That's awesome. I carry their dark kit everywhere I go and have an extra in my vehicle. If you use any of their stuff in a real life situation, they replace it all for free.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Too bad they don't have any classes coming close to us in 2017. Wasn't there a member here who offered similar classes?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Can you folks post a link to the units that you carry? It could help those who are looking for something like this.

Thanks!

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    https://darkangelmedical.com/

I use the DARK Trauma Kit right there on their main page in my range bag, though mine is the Gen 1.

All of my other blow out kits are self-made based on this kit. One in my EDC bag, one in each car, one in chest rig, one in camelbak, etc. I just buy the components and put them in Ziploc freezer bags.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I should add that after I went through this event about 10 months ago:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/personal-tragedy-and-triumph-with-some-lessons/

I emailed Dark Angel and said that, while I didn't use their kit or their specific training per se (just CPR), I still credited Kerry with instilling in me their problem-solving approach that might have made the difference.

They replied that it was too early in the day for me to make the whole office staff cry, and that, while they couldn't credit their training or kit with a "save" (they have over 50 now), they appreciated my kind words. Really great people.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I should add that after I went through this event about 10 months ago:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/personal-tragedy-and-triumph-with-some-lessons/

I emailed Dark Angel and said that, while I didn't use their kit or their specific training per se (just CPR), I still credited Kerry with instilling in me their problem-solving approach that might have made the difference.

They replied that it was too early in the day for me to make the whole office staff cry, and that, while they couldn't credit their training or kit with a "save" (they have over 50 now), they appreciated my kind words. Really great people.

Amazing article, I am glad your wife made a full recovery. You are 100% correct that CPR can by physically but also mentally exhausting. I've had to do CPR once, for about ten minutes before paramedics arrived. You're adrenaline is going and like you stated, I too felt like I could go on a lot longer. But for me afterwards, I just crashed. I was more mentally exhausted and worried that I didn't do something right.

It's good to hear that others have had positive experience with dark angel. I really like the company and their staff and will be a customer for life. I have some basic medical training but I would love to go through one of their classes. Like you said in the article and 100% agree, you're more than likely to use
    Medical training before your pistol/rifle.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I agree their kits are top notch.
    Their training is better. If you carry a kit please learn how to use it and when to use it.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    its one thing to have a kit and anther to know how to use it.
    have you ever seen someone standing around waiting for someone else to do something: to treat someone or save some ones life?
    you'd be surprised the lack of knowledge out there.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    have you ever seen someone standing around waiting for someone else to do something: to treat someone or save some ones life?

You'd be surprised of the AMOUNT of knowledge out there too. Not everyone who has experience carries a kit, but it sure is nice to have a kit and someone on scene who knows how to use it but doesn't have one of their own.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I'm glad this thread was started. I guess I'll take it as a sign. Dark Angel is offering training at my range in a couple of weeks. I've been interested in taking it but the cost was hard to stomach. After reading through this thread, I'll justify it as money well spent. Anything to build upon basic first aid and SABC will be priceless. It's better to have it (training) and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'll be signing up for the class this week. Thanks for the motivation!

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm glad this thread was started. I guess I'll take it as a sign. Dark Angel is offering training at my range in a couple of weeks. I've been interested in taking it but the cost was hard to stomach. After reading through this thread, I'll justify it as money well spent. Anything to build upon basic first aid and SABC will be priceless. It's better to have it (training) and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'll be signing up for the class this week. Thanks for the motivation!

Where is this class at? I've always gone through annual basic medical training but I would also like to go through one of their classes. After being involved in a few life threatening situations and having to render aid, I really started to purchase more medical kits and keep them in each of my vehicles, range bag and usually have a tourniquet on my person.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Another option is Greg Ellifritz's Tactical First Aid and System Collapse Medicine class. John Murphy of FPF Training down in NoVA is hosting this class 2-3 Times this year. I've trained twice with Greg (not for medical) and can vouch for him as an instructor, and I'll be taking this med class sometime in 2017. I talked with him about it and he told me that the Dark Angel class is a little more in depth in terms of the immediate care. His class covers some of that but also other stuff, like how to secure medications you require in the event of a "system collapse". Sort of a medical class for the zombie apocalypse, I guess. See more here (only one date listed so far, but Ellifritz's site has 2-3 more listed later in the year):
    https://www.fpftraining.com/products/tactical-first-aid-system-collapse-medicine-10-30-2016

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Where is this class at? I've always gone through annual basic medical training but I would also like to go through one of their classes. After being involved in a few life threatening situations and having to render aid, I really started to purchase more medical kits and keep them in each of my vehicles, range bag and usually have a tourniquet on my person.

Unfortunately, this upcoming class is scheduled in Clovis, NM for the 6th and 7th of January. Patriot Outdoors is offering it. I just happen to live fairly close. Cost is $400. Sign up is on the Dark Angel website.

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    Do you really need to go to there class ?
    You can reach out to veterans in the area and probably get the same training for a case of beer.
    And for firearm training I'm sure if you buy the ammo and, pizza the grunt will come

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    You can reach out to veterans in the area and probably get the same training for a case of beer.
    And for firearm training I'm sure if you buy the ammo and, pizza the grunt will come

The owner of dark angel is a veteran, I believe he was a combat medic. Locally I'm sure there are plenty of veterans with that kind of experience and what better way to learn from the men and women that proudly served our county and have first hand experience in treating combat type injuries. I'm not sure if there are any local companies that specialize in this type of training and are veteran owned. If there was I would gladly pay to learn from them. The biggest thing is to just get some training to ensure you know when and when not to use certain types of medical treatment.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

Kerry Davis has experience far beyond that of "a veteran". And he can teach.

I wish I fully understood this mentality where being taught by "a veteran" means that you got A+ training. But maybe it's because I'm a teacher and place value in lesson-planning, having goals and being able to set objectives to meet those goals, the ability to ID what a student is doing wrong AND how to fix it, etc. But, maybe they teach all of that in Basic and I'm just not aware of it.

Dealt with that in January with an unresponsive male. Had to do CPR and all. When I got to the location one of my guys was there already working on him, while 3 other grown men just stared and didn't offer any assistance, didn't know a single thing to do. One of the 3 is of the "I'm hot shit" variety so I wasn't surprised he froze. Amazingly after that incident, so many people signed up for upcoming CPR/AED courses.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom