• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    QUOTE=woodyplacks;4816483]Greetings, I have a problem, and I`m not sure where to post it. I just bought a used Voere Shikar 30 06 rifle, I believe made in 1969. It had some gunk on the back section of the receiver, on top, where it has a matt black finish, so, I used a copper brush, and clp to clean it, only to find, that the bluing came off also!. I didn`t think a copper brush would bother bluing, but it does! The top will not be covered completely by the scope base, and was flat black. The matt texture is still there, just not the black color. Cold blues- I don`t know?? I have some Mk lee rust blue solution, but I`m afraid it would damage the highly polished bluing on the sides, and not just repair the top. What would you do, to repair the finish? Thanks for all replies........Art.[/QUOTE]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Short answer - Cold Blue

Detailed - The cold blues from Brownells are superior to the typical consumer cold blues . Their Oxphyo-Blue is slightly more durable than their T-4 blue. But the T-4 is easier to get visually good results, and gives more even coloration.

For what I usually use for, I prefer the T-4 .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    http://www.slendebroek.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Voere-Eddy-1024x687.jpg

Voere-Eddy-1024x687.jpg

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Short answer - Cold Blue

Detailed - The cold blues from Brownells are superior to the typical consumer cold blues . Their Oxphyo-Blue is slightly more durable than their T-4 blue. But the T-4 is easier to get visually good results, and gives more even coloration.

For what I usually use for, I prefer the T-4 .
    Another T-4 fan

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm pretty sure you are right, that first pic I posted looks to be a much smaller caliber, and more of a target rifle. I took another quick look, I believe this is the one the OP is discussing, albeit in much better shape, and it's clearly a hunting rifle:

Vore Shikar German Bolt Action 30/06

Description:
    Vore Shikar German Bolt Action 30/06 - 24" Barrel - Tang Safety - Skip Cut Checkered Monte Carlo Walnut Stock With Rosewood Grip Caps - 3 X 9 Scope
    Condition: Excellent

Vore-Shikar-German-Bolt-Action-30-06_100664006_77747_2FB1D9F78D25DB3F.jpg

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have never tried re-blueing anything. Does it work better on scratches, where there is a "channel" to keep it from running over adjacent unaffected areas or is it best used on smooth hand or holster rub, where it could be applied lightly with a q-tip, almost like sponging paint onto a wall?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    So, start by cleaning and degreasing area then and lightly polish out scratches and brightening up area with steel wool or abrasive cloth for touch up, don't over do it. If using cold blueing on small area, apply with soaked cue tip or swab for larger area. You don't have to let it stand long, only a minute or two and then rinse off area with cold water. Polish area with steal wool and repeat until you get color match you are looking for. Area will get darker every application. Blueing is a controlled rusting process with salts to color the metal. Don't think of blueing as painting an area. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that Oxphyo-Blue is terrible in that regards, but I have done side by side comparisons on the same guns . T-4 is easier to get a decent looking repair, and easier to get consistant color over a larger area job.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Please try this first

QUOTE=woodyplacks;4816483]Greetings, I have a problem, and I`m not sure where to post it. I just bought a used Voere Shikar 30 06 rifle, I believe made in 1969. It had some gunk on the back section of the receiver, on top, where it has a matt black finish, so, I used a copper brush, and clp to clean it, only to find, that the bluing came off also!. I didn`t think a copper brush would bother bluing, but it does! The top will not be covered completely by the scope base, and was flat black. The matt texture is still there, just not the black color. Cold blues- I don`t know?? I have some Mk lee rust blue solution, but I`m afraid it would damage the highly polished bluing on the sides, and not just repair the top. What would you do, to repair the finish? Thanks for all replies........Art.
    [/QUOTE]

Generally, a light brushing with a brass brush should not remove traditional bluing. Before trying anything else, rub some firearms copper remover on the area and let it set for about 10 minutes. Rub area with a clean cloth. You might find that your bluing is still intact. If not , proceed with the Brownells products mentioned earlier.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom