Can I sell a hundgun in Virginia even I am a MD resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Can I sell a handgun in Virginia even I am a MD resident?

I am a new MD resident, I don’t have MD HQL and am not going to apply it now. but I like to know whether I can sell a handgun outside of MD such as VA ? I knew I should have a HQL then I can purchase , sell and transfer any handgun in MD , but how about VA?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Need to go through FFL if you cross any state lines with a sale (handgun/long gun/shotgun). That is a federal law.

If item is C&R, then if you have a C&R FFL03, you are an FFL yourself in that case, then things change.

Not sure what to make of your statement:
    Sometime some small gun ship , if you sell a gun to him. The boss even don’t check your license and only give you the cash.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I personally think it's irresponsible to sell a handgun or a rifle to someone without first going through a background check. How do you know if it's a felon until the BATAF comes knocking on your door?

Last edited:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Are you the local bank manager or agent for a rich Kenyan Gov. official and/or doctor who recently passed away and had no immediate relationships to whom you wanted to leave your money?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You can sell the handgun in VA, but the buyer must go through a FFL01 in VA, his home state. If the buyer can find a FFL01 who will accept a handgun from you directly, the process is easier - otherwise you would have to send it to the FFL01 according to his rules.

Handgun transfers across state lines MUST go through FFL01 in the buyer's state.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I personally think it's irresponsible to sell a handgun to someone without first going through a background check. How do you know if it's a felon until the BATAF comes knocking on your door?

But a rifle would be ok? I have sold many handguns face to face.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    But a rifle would be ok? I have sold many handguns face to face.

I personally think it's irresponsible to sell a handgun or a rifle to someone without first going through a background check. How do you know if it's a felon until the BATAF comes knocking on your door?

Fixed it for you. If the firearm is used in a crime either a police officer, kid or person victim of a crime the BATF will trace it back to the last owner. I hope you at least keep a signed receipt. I sold two in California in the 80's a Ruger markII 8 inch and a charter arms .38 sp. I personally knew both people California residence and still have those receipts today. That to me is responsible gun ownership. I've worked with many PD's over the years to compromise my values on this topic.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Carry permits are widespread here, especially among gun enthusiasts who are the people who tend to do private sales on used guns. It's pretty standard here for private sellers to request carry permits. It's an easy way to verify and it leaves no paper trail.

If a private seller requests an unnecessary background check, I refuse it. I've turned down good deals before just because the seller insisted on going through an FFL for no reason.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am a new MD resident, I don’t have MD HQL and am not going to apply it now. but I like to know whether I can sell a handgun outside of MD such as VA and OK ? I knew I should have a HQL then I can purchase , sell and transfer any handgun in MD , but how about VA? Sometime some small gun ship are in VA , if you wanted to sell a gun to him. The boss even don’t check your driver license and only give you the cash and let you go.

Thanks.

The HQL has a very specific purpose in the Handgun buying process only. It is not a license to sell or transfer handguns in Maryland. Since you obviously do not understand the Maryland gun laws I recommend you contact a qualified Maryland Lawyer before you buy, sell, transfer, carry or transport any firearm in Maryland. They can explain the applicable laws so you do not mistakenly commit a crime that might result in you loosing your right to keep and bear arms and/or send you to prison. :sad20:

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Can I just sell my handgun in a VA gun show to any FFL gun dealer no matter who he will sell to ? that's it. I don't understand what is FFL 01 , hopefully someone can explain to me.
    Thanks.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    My question is why are you still asking this question since October? And why still saying "why is my application still pending"? Big time TROLL??? And by the way, either use spell check or have my boss check you boss ticket to sell.
    Mightydog,

I didn't continue talk about application question because it was approved already. the reason I still ask the sell gun because I am still not very clear, I did not force you or someone else to look or answer my question ,
    you can ignore it.

Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Efeng ; just in case you really are not English speaker , and using very bad translation program .

FFL 01 = normal storefront gun dealer

You CAN sell to such a Dealer in Virginia , and almost all states .

Only the Dealer is responsible for whom he then sells to .

The handgun will remain registered to you by Maryland State Police forever and ever . There is no process to remove one from your name .

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Need to go through FFL if you cross any state lines with a sale (handgun/long gun/shotgun). That is a federal law.

If item is C&R, then if you have a C&R FFL03, you are an FFL yourself in that case, then things change.

Not sure what to make of your statement:

Melnic,
    My question is that " go through FFL " means I have to pay additional FFL fee like transfer or just selling to a gun shop which the owner is a FFL dealer?

Thanks.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Melnic,

My question is that " go through FFL " means I have to pay additional FFL fee around $30-50 just like buy some guns online request FFL or just selling to a gun shop which the owner is a FFL dealer?

Thanks.

No. Selling your gun to an FFL 01, (regular storefront gun dealer as mentioned before)
    there will be no additional fee. The $30-$50 fee you are speaking of is for a transfer from and FFL to you (either originating out of state or from another individual with an FFL involved somehow)

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Just wondering... After plodding through this somewhat painful post... Is there a reason you don't want to sell your gun to a MD dealer? Are you just trying to figure out what happens if you show up in VA and want to sell a gun?

You could also sell to an individual and transfer through the MSP.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Woody
    You asked a good question, the reason I don't want to sell the gun to a MD dealer because I do not have a HQL license , it is said I must apply if I want to purchase, sell and transfer in MD. I am not going to apply the HQL license right now because I have no any plan to purchase any handgun . I don't know how to sell to an individual through MSP (Maryland state police ) , I just want to through a easiest and safe way.
    Thanks.

You(The Seller) dont need a hql to sell or transfer a pistol in the state of md!

Hql is strictly for purchasing!

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Woody
    You asked a good question, the reason I don't want to sell the gun to a MD dealer because I do not have a HQL license , it is said I must apply if I want to purchase, sell and transfer in MD. I am not going to apply the HQL license right now because I have no any plan to purchase any handgun . I don't know how to sell to an individual through MSP (Maryland state police ) , I just want to through a easiest and safe way.
    Thanks.
    So, we're back where we were, which is that there is no HQL needed to walk into a gun shop in MD and sell your gun. That is your sticking point it seems. Did someone tell you otherwise?

On a separate note, you may want to apply for that HQL before you dispose of that gun, so you can avoid the training requirement.

Does this not make sense?

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom