Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 13th, 2018, 11:28 PM #11

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Glad you werent bit or your animals....but it would have been an epic video...

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:37 AM #12

My security cameras caught these raccoons around noon just last week.

Aventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:51 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiBarcelona View Post
Just be glad you didn't get bitten/exposed. I had to do the post exposure rabies a few years ago, I think it was like 7 shots spread out over like 2 weeks time.

Up here in Harford you have to go to the ER to start it, then they send you to another hospital that has some kind of daytime primary care area to complete the process.
Initially it's one shot of vaccine and four shots of human rabies immunoglobulin in the ER for people who have never been vaccinated before. The immunoglobulin is essentially ready-made antibodies to give you protection for the week or so it takes for your body to start making enough of it's own. It's the more expensive of the two by far and lack of it is why people in the Third World who can't get it sometimes die even though they start the vaccine (only) shots on time. Lack of it is also why it's a good idea to get a rabies vaccination before traveling to Third World countries.

Then it's follow up vaccine shots, one each on days 3, 7, and 14 at Harford Memorial now. They want it done at a hospital because apparently some people can have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. While IMHO the four globulin shots in the legs weren't pleasant it beats the hell out of the 16 needles in the stomach people got when I was a kid.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:54 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
Health department said they would let us know. Goats are up to date on rabies shots. I guess he could have been particularly upset by the recent time change.
If he possibly bit a goat the goat may need a precautionary rabies booster. They do that with horses anyway. I would check w/ your vet.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
Old March 14th, 2018, 02:09 AM #15

There was a guy in my freshman class in college who was paralyzed from rabies vaccine. That was way back in 1969, maybe the risk changed, or maybe it was Guillian Barre, which was also associated with the swine flu vaccine.

I saw a film from WW2, US doctors came to a town somewhere in No. Africa where 5 guys just got bitten by a rabid dog. They were standing around with bandages on their arms or legs. Then they filmed them as they were dying of rabies a couple weeks later. You don't want to die of rabies.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 02:13 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
There was a guy in my freshman class in college who was paralyzed from rabies vaccine. That was way back in 1969, maybe the risk changed, or maybe it was Guillian Barre, which was also associated with the swine flu vaccine.

I saw a film from WW2, US doctors came to a town somewhere in No. Africa where 5 guys just got bitten by a rabid dog. They were standing around with bandages on their arms or legs. Then they filmed them as they were dying of rabies a couple weeks later. You don't want to die of rabies.
I think the vaccines they use now are different. Back then they were still doing the shots in the stomach and (I think) still using exposed animal tissue to make it. The ones now are just 4 shots in the arm and made from human diploid cells. I don't know what a diploid cell is, but I feel smart when I say it.
Old March 14th, 2018, 03:39 AM #17
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
I think the vaccines they use now are different. Back then they were still doing the shots in the stomach and (I think) still using exposed animal tissue to make it. The ones now are just 4 shots in the arm and made from human diploid cells. I don't know what a diploid cell is, but I feel smart when I say it.
Lol, well not haploid cells (which have only a single set of chromosomes) that are gametes which give rise to sperm and egg cells. And not aneuploid cells which are typically cancerous and have messed up chromosome numbers. Diploid cells contain two copies of the chromosome complement. In this case, they're actually primary human cells that were first cultured more than 50 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old March 14th, 2018, 04:29 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventus View Post
My security cameras caught these raccoons around noon just last week.

You need to get your vision checked. Those are clearly velociraptors.
Attached Images

Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 04:39 AM #19
Have CCW

Have CCW

Geesh, you guys scared me into realizing something.

Had my Korean family visiting Iowa last summer. My wife was watching my daughter play in the back yard (parents live at the North end of town). Apparently, some animal that didn't look like a dog entered the yard, and my Korean wife -- who has no understanding of wildlife in the Iowa area -- told my equally uninformed daughter to come inside. She had no idea what that animal was, but she said, "It didn't look right." When she said that, I took it to mean that she meant it didn't look like a dog. I didn't even think about rabies. Based on what you're saying above.... if an animal such as this is in daylight, then it's an indicator that they're sick? Thanks for that.

Later that week, we went to the zoo, and my wife and daughter got all excited at seeing foxes, because that's what they saw in the back yard, that afternoon.

At the time, I explained to my wife that animals (meaning the potentially bad neighborhood dog) are one reason why I carry a gun. After that, she wasn't bothered by my CCW on our South Dakota trip.

We have since had some discussions about foxes, mountain lions (some pretty big ones have come back to the state), raccoons, and bobcats. All common in Iowa.
Old March 14th, 2018, 06:32 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
If he possibly bit a goat the goat may need a precautionary rabies booster. They do that with horses anyway. I would check w/ your vet.
I didn't see a bite occur, but things were moving pretty rapidly at that point. The goats are the wife's and daughter's and the wife called the vet when this happened. I'll ask to double check on boosters. There were no obvious wounds or bleeding (well, except for the racoon).
Clovis is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports