• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If a Md resident expires and has left all "worldly possessions" to their survivors(direct family members), and these survivors don't have Md. HQLs. Does that disqualify them(survivors) from receiving certain 'possessions'? I don't recall seeing this discussed much. I'm just trying to tidy up some loose ends.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If a Md resident expires and has left all "worldly possessions" to their survivors(direct family members), and these survivors don't have Md. HQLs. Does that disqualify them(survivors) from receiving certain 'possessions'? I don't recall seeing this discussed much. I'm just trying to tidy up some loose ends.

I'm pretty sure that an HQL is not required for an inheritance.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the speedy responses guys. I always thought we were covered, but I wanted some reassurance. So far, so good.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Being prepared is good.

We don't expect to have a flat tire, but have a spare and jack. We don't expect the house to catch fire, but have an extinguisher. Etc

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Being prepared is good.

We don't expect to have a flat tire, but have a spare and jack. We don't expect the house to catch fire, but have an extinguisher. Etc

Exactly. Best part is this kinda insurance doesn't cost much more than any other kind, and sure does work. Guns don't really lose much value either, same with ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Do such inheritances need to be "transferred" through MSP?

Yes, see MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-102(8), which provides that such an inheritance is exempt from subtitle 1 of article 5 (which includes 5-117.1 which is the HQL requirement) "if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm" That is the same application applicable to any handgun purchase. A MSP station will take the application or perhaps an FFL might be willing to do that. If you are going to a barracks, call ahead and get an appointment and be sure NOT to take the gun into the station. Leave it in the car and let the trooper come out and get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom