• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Yeah, I am thinking about a Mini 14. A new ranch rifle with wood stock goes for $959 at the LGS. Always wanted one and it seems like a good idea, given the possibility that the idiots in Annapolis might try to put through an AR ban. Anyway, I always wanted one and it seems like a good idea. But I understand there are some kind of limitations on Mini 14 modifications in MD, such as folding stocks, etc. WTF, I know there are a lot of restrictions in this state, but when will the nonsense end. Anyway, if anyone knows about this type of limitations, pleas let me know. Thanks.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There are quite a few on GB, in the $700 range, with no bids. with shipping and FFL fees, you should be all in for less than $800.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=ruger mini 14 ranch rifle&Sort=13

Yes, this. A new, plain Jane, wood stock Mini-14 Ranch rifle can often be found for $650-750.

Here's one from Grabagun ...

https://grabagun.com/rug-mini-14-rnch-223-b-wd-5rd.html

And if your LGS is charging $960 for the same, find another place to do transfers should you order from Grabagun as the LGS might charge an arm and a leg (if they even take the transfer).

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What about an AR or M4 style adjustable stock? Or one with attachment points for lights, etc?

Collapsible is ok as long as it doesn't fold. That said I don't recommend doing that to a Mini. The Mini honestly feels and shoots best in a regular rifle stock with iron sights. My tactical model now resides in a nice factory wood stock after having done the whole collapsible with a pistol grip thing. It's lighter and handier in the factory stock.

Also you can do much better on price than that. A basic ranch rifle model should be about $700.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Whatever model you get, swap out the rear sight with a Tech Sights replacement. I have been working my Mini pretty hard as of late, but I couldn't seem to tighten up the groups. The stupid rear sight was too easy to slip left or right, and the up and down was via turning the sight clockwise or CClockwise.

I know people said it wouldn't be as accurate as an AR, and I was starting to really agree with that assessment.

Then the Tech Sight arrived in the mail today. Installed on my Mini 14 tactical, and my groups improved tremendously. It's like freaking day and night.

Spend the extra bucks on the Tech Sight upgrade... WELL worth it!!!!!

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Mini 14

I really do love the mini 14. I would not spend the money for the barrel attachment thing that is supposed to improve accuracy. It is supposed to moderate the harmonics of the barrel, which are an issue with accuracy with that rifle. It barely tightened the groups up. I did put the non folding aftermarket stock on it, and I really do like it, although it adds a buttload of weight to the entire package. It is exactly like the folding version but the hinge piece on it does not move. I think is is made by choate.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Get one of the later models. Serials 850 and up have a stouter barrel that won't change POA as they heat up.

You can get aftermarket stocks for them, but I much prefer wood furniture. It makes them look more like their bigger brother.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Get one of the later models. Serials 850 and up have a stouter barrel that won't change POA as they heat up.

You can get aftermarket stocks for them, but I much prefer wood furniture. It makes them look more like their bigger brother.

Agree :thumbsup:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG

Serials 580 and up I think you mean? or did they update again?
    (I am not try to be an ass lol)

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah, I am thinking about a Mini 14. A new ranch rifle with wood stock goes for $959 at the LGS.

I believe GymRatz has one in stock for $750. Wooden stock. You can call him and ask, he is an IP. Don't know where you live but unless your vehicle gets really bad fuel mileage, it might be worth the drive. There isn't much you can do to "modify" a Mini-14 and new Minis haven't had folding stocks for years. If you don't want to draw attention to yourself, don't draw attention to yourself with a folding stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ironically it usta be a major selling point for Mini's was being Less expensive than AR's . Back when a bargin priced AR was $1000- ish , a Mini was half to 2/3 the cost . But alas the price of entry AR's has dropped substantially , while Mini's continued apace with inflation .

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I really like my Mini14's and Mini30, some of my favorite rifles, probably because it was the first center-fire rifle that my uncle and father ever let me shoot and "call my own" when I was 10/11-ish.

They are accurate enough (they dont limit me) at range with iron sights, never bothered to scope one up. Techsights are a good upgrade iron sight though I had some trouble with one (out of 3) not adjusting, Techsights replaced it and works perfectly now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They original " plain " Mini-14 had better metalic sights, but required specialty scope mounts . The better ones worked, but still looked funky .

The Ranch Rifle was tweaked for easy scope mounting , but with rudimentary metallic sights .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom