• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    This thread will be used for discussion of the meeting of the HPRB on July 29, 2019.

DPSCS website link below. This link will be updated to reflect a change of meeting status or possible change of venue. Future meeting dates, time, and the location of the meeting is posted on the DPSCS HPRB website.

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

As of July 8th, 2019 the Handgun Permit Review Board (HPRB) meets at The Fifth Regiment Armory, 219 29th Division Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. Meetings are scheduled to begin at 6:00 pm.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...d905d61852f161!8m2!3d39.3033845!4d-76.6215785

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just got my Magic 8 Ball out of the shop so let me give this a whirl 5 days out.

1. Judge Smails will treat most of the denials like it's marriage counseling between the applicant and the MSP.
    2. The MoCo lawyer will pontificate about how he sympathizes with the applicants but they should take it up with the legislature, his hands are tied.
    3. Judge Smails will mention either Snowden or Scherr at least 3 times.
    4. At least one violation of the Open Meetings Act.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I just got my Magic 8 Ball out of the shop so let me give this a whirl 5 days out.

1. Judge Smails will treat most of the denials like it's marriage counseling between the applicant and the MSP.
    2. The MoCo lawyer will pontificate about how he sympathizes with the applicants but they should take it up with the legislature, his hands are tied.

I see your one violation of the OMA and raise you one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

5. Only 3 of the 5 appointed board members will be in attendance.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    The Handgun Permit Review Board (HPRB) is required by Maryland law under the Open Meetings Act (OMA) to conduct its HEARINGS in public, and to make arrangements for the public to HEAR the proceedings as well as OBSERVE it.

Evidently, the new HPRB Chairman Fred Smalkin doesn’t want to obey Maryland law.

The public attending the HPRB HEARING cannot HEAR.

Whether attending in person, or straining to HEAR via a FB livestream (camera located in the audience seating, such as provided by the PATRIOT PICKET FB page) this lack of amplification necessary for the public to hear is a fundamental violation of the OMA.

Smalkin is evidently hostile to a genuine public hearing.

Smalkin ordered an independent videographer who attended the HPRB hearing to record it to remove his microphone from the Board’s table.

The HPRB administrator, in response to an email complaint about the inability to hear, doesn’t seem concerned about the OMA violation either.

She replied that the HPRB did not have amplification equipment, and would NOT be obtaining any to facilitate the public hearing their hearing.

The HPRB “hearings” were transferred by Smalkin to the new location: the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore.

It is a PUBLIC BUILDING, yet for some reason the Armory staff REFUSE to allow their amplification system to be used by the HPRB to facilitate the OMA.

Any guesses as to why the 5th REGIMENT ARMORY is refusing to cooperate in fully facilitating a PUBLIC HEARING, including the OMA-authorized recording of both the visual and audible aspects of the hearing?

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    I’ll offer a guess: Smalkin has told the 5th Regiment Armory staff to not assist the HPRB.

Smalkin, in his autobiographical Wikipedia entry, states;

“[Smalkin] was commissioned in the Maryland Military Department and later promoted to Brigadier General and appointed by the Governor as commander of the Maryland Defense Force (State Guard).

The MARYLAND DEFENSE FORCE is headquartered in the 5th Regiment Armory.

Although no longer the commanding officer of the Maryland Defense Force, does anyone think Smalkin doesn’t have some pull in that building?

Does anyone think that former Brigadier General Smalkin couldn’t get microphones and speakers in that room if he ASKED for them?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_N._Smalkin

Attachments

• 895B4A37-334A-4384-ABFA-FDA8ED6C1C6A.jpg
      895B4A37-334A-4384-ABFA-FDA8ED6C1C6A.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 393

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Smellkin is a problem child and is a prima-donna that wants the masses to cater to his whims . He is dangerous and a power hungry whore .

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Smalkin would evidently have used his old Federal courtroom for the HPRB hearings but that was obviously not available, so Judge Smalkin brought his old gavel to the first HPRB meeting as a comfort item.

If Judge Smalkin could have used his old courtroom, the other two Board members that Smalkin permits to attend the 5-member HPRB hearings would have likely been seated at his court clerk’s desk, while Smalkin alone sat on the judge’s bench.

Instead of embracing his “citizen member” position on the HPRB, Smalkin immediately sought to assert his imagined magisterial authority by moving the HPRB hearings to a domain where he could enjoy that former sense of unquestioned command, and where he likely still could influence the building’s administrative process: the 5th Regiment Armory.

Thus no microphones for the Board members or the hearing witnesses.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

Attachments

• 28780C88-2093-43EC-9E32-A19E248126CE.jpg
      28780C88-2093-43EC-9E32-A19E248126CE.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 410

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    The citizens should, collectively, move their seats up closer to the proceedings in order to be heard. Their position should be that they are assisting the chair in being in compliance with the regs. They are helping assure that the public can in fact be heard. The next move is the chair's. That would be a point where law is apparently on our side, and a stand would possibly provide some traction.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Not sure what is being done to assure the Open Meetings Act is being followed , can a suit be filed or at least a complaint ?? The Judge needs to be shown an error in his ways .

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I asked why all 5 members are not invited
    Got a lame answer about summertime, being busy, and large backlog. That didn't seem to bother the previous board. They had offered to do more cases, but MSP said no.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The vice chair Ballard actually proposed letting the third member listen in on speaker phone and vote via email. Apparently Paros is on his way so every applicant elected to wait until he got here to have their case heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom