• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Hey All,

I've got some questions if you don't mind:

1) At what age were you introduced to guns?

2) Were you allowed to play with toy guns (pop guns, Super-soakers, Nerf guns, etc.)?

3) How accessible were firearms in your home, and at what age would you say you were reasonably comprehensive that it wasn't something for you to touch without an adult handing it to you?

4) Would you say taking a child shooting early on helps mitigate intrigue, and if so, how young?

5) What does your spouse that isn't 100% 2A say about these things, or are they?

A lot of this stems from me growing up knowing there was a firearm in the house. I was taught around the age of 12 to load and fire a .357. Obviously young but smart enough to know you pull the trigger and the gun goes bang with consequence. Just curious as to others experiences and open to advice. I'm looking to purchase a bedside type safe but am mostly concerned with painted/cerokoted guns these days should my kid find one and what they might actually do in the moment.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can send my way

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    1) 10 years old or so
    2) Absolutely, it's a wonder I still have two eyeballs with all the BB gun shooting we did as kids.
    3) Not accessible at all, parents weren't gun owners (at all). I hunted with a neighbor and other adults who knew my Dad was a POS/Drunk who didn't have time for me.
    4) Absolutely. Of the kids that I know that either got in to trouble or were killed by "accident", 100% of them had zero gun knowledge.
    5) My wife is wishy-washy, she supports my habit and doesn't say boo about all the expense. She more or less shakes her head in disbelief that I am buying "another" gun, they are all essentially the same to her. She has respect for guns, mainly due to fear (not raised around it).

I think kids should be taught that handling guns improperly or without respect can be instantly deadly. I cringe when I see the nonsense on Youtube, mainly young (minority) people waving guns around. I am weary enough I catch myself ducking and wincing.... from a computer screen!:o

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Hey All,

2) Were you allowed to play with toy guns (pop guns, Super-soakers, Nerf guns, etc.)?

3) How accessible were firearms in your home, and at what age would you say you were reasonably comprehensive that it wasn't something for you to touch without an adult handing it to you?

4) Would you say taking a child shooting early on helps mitigate intrigue, and if so, how young?

5) What does your spouse that isn't 100% 2A say about these things, or are they?

A lot of this stems from me growing up knowing there was a firearm in the house. I was taught around the age of 12 to load and fire a .357. Obviously young but smart enough to know you pull the trigger and the gun goes bang with consequence. Just curious as to others experiences and open to advice. I'm looking to purchase a bedside type safe but am mostly concerned with painted/cerokoted guns these days should my kid find one and what they might actually do in the moment.

1 I was never really introduced to guns, I don't have any memories without them.

2 I got a red ryder bb gun when I was 4 I believe, I was little. I shot some windows from inside the house and got a terrible ass whoopin and my gun took away for a bit but not long

3 they were completely accessible. they were right there within arm reach. I was taught gun safety after the window incident and very shortly there after I was and did handle firearms a lot, with and without adult supervision or consent.

4 absolutely. a kid should be shooting as soon as they can and shown what a gun can do. it helps them understand that guns aren't toys to see a watermelon explode when you or they shoot it. and once kids understand all there is to know about guns the less trouble you will have them.

5 I wouldn't have anyone around me , much less my wife, that's anti 2a. I cant deal with that.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Hey All,

Probably around 5 or 6
    I had all kinds of toy guns, some were pretty realistic looking too, I got a BB gun at 8 years old and I was taught by my Father that it wasn't a toy and to treat it as if it were a real gun
    My Father's rifles and shotguns were all in the corner of his closet, his Colt Police Positive was always in his top dresser drawer, loaded (except for a while during the riots when he took it to work with him every day) From as early as I can remember my Father taught me gun safety and told me that any time I wanted to see any of them all I had to do was ask him. I never felt the urge to sneak in there and play with them

I took all three of mine shooting by the time they were about 6 years old, 1 boy and 2 girls, and told them them same thing my Father told me. To my knowledge none of them ever abused their access to my guns.All 3 of them are now safe, and pretty good, shooters. My youngest took an HQL class several years ago with her then boyfriend, a Marine Reservist, and she shot circles around him when they got to the live fire part!
    5) What does your spouse that isn't 100% 2A say about these things, or are they? My wife was never anti at worst she didn't really think about it one way or the other. One of our first dates I took her to Whiteford quarries to shoot!

Also I always kept our loaded home defense gun under lock and key until the youngest was about 12.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017

I was introduced to firearms at a early age, 8 or 9. By introduction, I mean, if I see one left alone (unattended) to leave it allow and tell my parents or adults. I first fired a bb/pellet gun when I was 9 1/2 to 10 (Red Ryder). I was given the full firearm safety drill, demonstration and hunting trip. I got my very first .22 at 10 or 11 (old Sear/Montgomery Wards Model). But I grew up in west Texas and firearms were a tool. Albeit, one that was capable of destroying/killing things.

We had, what we called cap pistols, water guns (forerunner of today's Super-soaker). We didn't have nerf guns then,

Not very, I was shown where they were at. Most of them were in a wooden and glass cabinet, I remember my grandparents had the same one. I think there was one on the wall.

I would say yes. In my opinion a Pellet gun is the way to start and then a .22 rifle. But they need to be strong enough to hold it, or use a shooting bag or rest. I seen, in my opinion where someone was trying to teach a youth how to fire a gun that was too heavy for them. My thought if they can hold it, how can the hold it against the recoil. My grandfather used a watermelon too, to show me and my brother what "real guns" could do and that you can't put it back together. Again we/they live out in the sticks. People went rabbit hunting all the time.

I don't think, my wife is a "big" fan. But we were in the military, and like ranching/farming a firearm is a common tool. But once I, taught her and my kids the safety rules, and other important stuff, she is a lot less nervous about them.

I sure you have taught them if it doesn't belong to them to live it alone. And back in the day toy guns didn't have safety indicators, the were all with the orange tips. I think it is the teaching, re-enforcment and trusting that is really what people need to concentrate on.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Hey All,

See below

See below

They were stored in open cabinet and we knew from ground zero they were off limits.

Yes and as soon as we could handle them.

She shoots as good if not better than I do.

4c857384701c2a34528abe23e81b9089.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County
    Hey All,

About when I was 22 years old. I come a family that doesn't like guns. My father lived though a civil war in a foreign country as a kid. And my family watches a lot of mainstream media, so they have adopted the anti-gun policy on mass. I'm an outlier. I had to introduce them to myself as my politics and lifestyle changed and I saw the need for them. No toys, no nothing. I wasn't even allowed to play with a water pistol. I'm currently single, so no problem there, but if I were to get into a committed relationship, now I can't be with someone who is staunchly anti-gun as it part of my identity. They don't have to be coming to the range constantly, but I would like them to know how to use the firearms I'd keep around the house for their own self defense.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Uh huh. Sure does look like a desperado to me.

And gotta love the milk box. :D
    Mom and I have this figured to be spring/summer of 1960. I would have been ~18 months old.

This is taken in front of my Grandparents house in Linthicum.

My Grandfather was a Circle W Exec. He had milk delivered until they didn't deliver anymore!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Hey All,

12 or 13 I introduced myself to them.

Yes, but no BB guns. Until I acquired one my parents didn't know about.

Parents did not own guns. Dad saw a kit shot when he was young and didn't want anything to do with guns. Still can't believe they let me buy one and have sole possession and responsibility for it.

I would say 10-12 start them supervised with a .22.

She tolerates it...just barely.

:)

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

I took my first shot at age 4... it has been all downhill ever since, with my addiction picking up more speed every year.

Like they could have stopped me even if they wanted.

I was pretty responsible. As early as I can remember, I had access to the .22 and ammo. I don't remember ever really accessing the hunting shotguns unless I was hunting. My dad did get mad at me when I showed him the loaded handgun that I found on the top kitchen cabinet shelf. Was pretty young then, but even still I knew not to play with it or pull the trigger. My first gun was a .410 break action that was a gift for my 12th birthday. I was allowed to keep that and ammo in my closet.

Absolutely. For most I would say early teens but it depends on the child.

My wife and I came to an understanding about these things when we were engaged. She still dosen't completely get it but understands how IMPORTANT it is to me. If she didn't, we probably wouldn't have gotten married.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    1) At what age were you introduced to guns? Real firearms? 4, but didn't shoot until 6. Toys? Earlier than I can remember

2) Were you allowed to play with toy guns (pop guns, Super-soakers, Nerf guns, etc.)? Yes

3) How accessible were firearms in your home, and at what age would you say you were reasonably comprehensive that it wasn't something for you to touch without an adult handing it to you? There was a .22 rifle stashed in my dad's wardrobe in a make-shift gun sock made from two tube socks (weren't the 70's great?!) The only reason I knew it existed prior to being 6 and shooting was that my dad had to draw down on a person who broke into our house with it. Held them there until the cops came. After that, we were told never to touch it. He kept the bolt separate for extra security.

4) Would you say taking a child shooting early on helps mitigate intrigue, and if so, how young? I was six, and excited about it. But I didn't really get into it until I was older because I had cap guns and water pistols to play with. Never had a BB Gun, but got a youth compound bow when I was about 9 or so.

5) What does your spouse that isn't 100% 2A say about these things, or are they? My wife is pro-2A in the sense that she knows gun laws don't work and you're never putting the genie back in the bottle. She knows how to use my HD gun if need be, but prefers to keep my grandfathers USMC KaBar in her nightstand. She's okay with my guns. She rolls her eyes whenever I buy a new one, but she knows I keep them safe (locked in locking cabinets or safes) My son, who is turning 5, knows we have them, has seen them, but doesn't seem too interested in them at the moment.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Cap guns from very early. Cowboys and Native Americans, you know? My Uncle Johnny has an old top-break revolver with the firing pin removed, that he let kids play with. I thought it was cool, and surprised that my father said nothing about it. He was ex-Army, but in the Medical area, and didn't care for guns. He also didn't need them, being a bit if a beast when necessary.

Sure. I had a shoulder-stocked pump ping-pong ball launcher which I truly loved. I haven't played with a squirt gun in nearly a decade; I need a new one for summer fun.

No real guns in the house. I picked up a couple 22 single-shot rifles when I was about 15; parents found them a few years later, got rid of them.

Maybe. I can't say whether it would have benefited me; my daughters were introduced to firearms as kids, around 9-10 IIRC.

Mine accepts the utility, not involved in the use at this time. Changing circumstances would probably alter the attitude.

Beyond all that, I remember bags of green plastic soldiers, who engaged in mortal combat on a daily basis, under the command of the neighborhood kids. Sometimes we had access to fireworks, but that was later. Dirt bombs were plentiful from the garden; a dried clump of dirt could take out four or five soldiers and leave an impressive cloud of dust and dirt on contact with the ground.

The Korean War was on, and we kids were aware, and eager to join the fray.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    1) First time I shot a gun was 21, first bought one a few years later.

2) Yes, ans I loved shotgun cup guns and I love shooting clays now. Coincidence?

3) Never had any in the house.

4) Yes, letting a child know early that a gun isn’t a toy. I will admit it took a little while to get out of the mindset.

5) She doesn’t like them in the house. She doesn’t even like looking at them or the safe. She still probably wished we didn’t have any.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    1) Boy scouts at 12 or so, then competitive smallbore in high school and the odd NRA/CMP-sanctioned Garand match. The Garands, in particular, definitely set me down the road towards full-power shooting, and now battle rifles are my thing while I'm in the process of building an SR-25 clone.

2) Cap guns, Nerf guns, super soakers, etc were a foundational part of my childhood, and I graduated to airsoft/paintball in high school.

3) My folks never had any weapons, mostly because we lived in the idyllic upper middle class suburbs of Boston, a city with a homicide rate literally 1/10th of Baltimore's. All I learned in terms of firearms safety was from BSA event leaders and the coaches at the gun clubs I shot at.

4) No clue, though if anything, my time in paintball/airsoft only heightened the intrigue of *real* gun ownership and set the stage for where I am today.

5) My spouse isn't big on shooting, but she is also pretty tolerant of my interests and my collection, and is definitely into/supportive of my Ted Nugent streak when it comes to arming myself, prepping, etc. Neither of us have any confidence in the long-term stability and security of this country, and are fully aware that it'll probably go full South Africa/Brazil/Venezuela within our lifetimes, if not going even further and into full-out Bosnia territory.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    -Shooting BB gun at age 4, supervised

-Super-soakers, Nerf guns, cool fun. Toy guns were OK as long as they didn’t look like any sort of real gun. If it looked like a real gun it was to be handled like a real gun (complete 4 rules).

-I knew where they were and I knew to keep my hands off of them. After about age 12 it became my responsibility for cleaning and oiling the guns just like mowing the lawn.

-Start with a good old Red Ryder at 4. We (my whole family) pass around a Red Ryder with a cut down buttstock. Go up from there.

-100% 2A. And you married them if they weren’t 100% 2A? That would have been a NOGO. She has her own left handed AR with purple Hogue furniture.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore

My parents were not gun owners. I fired a rifle and shotgun in high school; first time I fired a handgun I was 28.

Yes.

n/a, although I was taught when I was young to not ever touch a gun, treat them all as loaded. I don't remember how old I was when I understood that, but probably pretty young. I was friends with kids who hunted/shot, and never once did we touch a firearm.

Probably. I guess it depends on the kid, doesn't it?

Mrs PJS is pro 2A. She sees firearms strictly as tools; she's not a fan of shooting for fun, or owning a gun you don't need to accomplish it's intended job (which in her case is home defense, but she understands I need a small collection for different carry scenarios.)

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    1) Pretty young and I don't remember exactly when. Went hunting for the first time at whatever the youngest legal age was.

2) Yes but I have some extended family who were not. Their family discovered that boys will just pick up sticks and pretend pretty quickly.

3) Probably until I 15-1 ish they were all out of reach and had to be requested. I really don't remember the exact age and I could be wrong.

4) I strongly believe yes but I am no expert. If I might drop a video I like this Paul Harrell presentation on when kids may or may not be ready for their own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fRJTyU851Y

5) Currently unmarried. I refuse to marry a gun grabber and I am sure that she would not want anything to do with me either. Not that I won't talk to these people if they want, but I am not signing up for a lifetime of guaranteed misery.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Hey All,

1. About 4 years of age. I was able to shoot an old 22lr single shot.
    2. As a child of the 60's, gun play was a very big part of my childhood.
    3. I could ask to see any firearm in my house probably when I was old enough to shoot, which was 4 years of age.
    4. I believe that the child should be around firearms their entire life. Before any of my kids went shooting, they were there to help me clean my firearms after I came back from a day of shooting or hunting. Once you feel they are comfortable with and understand the seriousness of shooting a firearm, I took them out to an outdoor range, just to watch and learn. It wasn't a very long outing, but they did go with me a number of times. Then, when YOU feel they are ready, they shoot a 22lr. Then work them up to larger calibers when they fit the firearm. You will have to determine when YOUR children are old enough for any of these things I talked about.
    5. My wife is very pro guns, so I don't know what to tell you about that. Ask her to take a shooting lesson from another female. Most ranges can set that up. Get her to feel more comfortable shooting a firearm. DON'T TRY TO GIVE HER LESSONS YOURSELF if she's the least bit afraid of apprehensive around firearms. This will almost always end in disaster. Let her know that you will NEVER let you, her or your children get into a dangerous situation.

As a momma bear, your wife will agree that you AND her need to have the ability to protect your children in the event of someone breaking into your house. She can't always count on you being there. She's got to be prepared and trained, if she is put into this type of situation. Most people are afraid of the unknown. If she's never been around firearms, it's only natural for her to see them as dangerous. That's because they are dangerous. But not manageable. They are in fact a necessity in today's world. More so than in the past. The firearm isn't what she needs to be afraid of, once trained and respect has been gained, a firearm is just a tool to help save your life.

It's also a pretty cool hobby. Punching holes in paper is usually liked by anyone who tries it.

Good Luck!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    These are all good questions, and the general answer is: it depends.

If you have guns in your house, everyone with access to them should be safe and responsible. Access should be restricted to anyone who is not. I started my kid on airsoft at 5. By 10 she was shooting 22s and I trusted her with my firearms. My wife was never a gun person but has gone shooting with us and understands its importance to me. She likes gold and silver, I prefer iron and lead. There's a difference of opinion but we "get" each other.

My strong opinion is the earlier the better. Be honest and talk about it, especially with your SO if there is a difference of opinion. If she's not OK with it, and you don't talk about it, it's only going to get worse. Either way teach your kids safety and familiarity as soon as feasible, for their safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom