• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which are venomous and inhabit Maryland?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    No love for the toxic brown bowl wrapper? They are common worldwide.

I've read that in areas mostly in the west where rattlesnake hunts take place the sound of the rattle is used to locate snakes. This practice is supposed to be leading to more snakes without rattles surviving and breeding.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    yeah the cottonmouth is supposed to get up to the great dismal swamp. i thought coral's were more TX & AZ and certainly had no idea they came up to NC.

I caught a Coral snake in my backyard was I was in junior high school living in Florida. I though it was a Scarlet snake. I put it in a jar and brought it to biology class. Boy was my teacher surprised! :party29:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have run into rattlesnakes more than once. The last time was at a WMA in Western MD while hiking on a trail. Damn that is scary when you here that rattle all of a sudden. It really got my attention!

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    There is a herp school of thought who question the accuracy of range maps that extend into Western PA and far Northern WV but not going into MD. Their stance is how can data of such a rare species be accurate in determining natural range.

EDIT- I'm not a herp guy but have been working with them for years.

When someone actually finds 1 in WVA or MD I'll be convinced. Modern man has traipsed through these areas thoroughly

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Already relocated 3 black snakes this week, 1 in the road down the street from my house & 2 just now in the next door garage. Plus I've seen 2 dead by the highway. They seem to be coming out all at once.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Found this guy when I was clearing my hillside the other day. Pretty sure it is a copperhead.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
      IMG_0137.jpg
      186.9 KB · Views: 279

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Found this guy when I was clearing my hillside the other day. Pretty sure it is a copperhead.

As remodeler1 said, it's a milk snake. Copperheads have a much more pronounced hour-glass shape to their reddish bands with it narrowing across the spine and spreading back out on the sides. Eastern milk snakes have more solid "rings" like you see in your picture.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    As remodeler1 said, it's a milk snake. Copperheads have a much more pronounced hour-glass shape to their reddish bands with it narrowing across the spine and spreading back out on the sides. Eastern milk snakes have more solid "rings" like you see in your picture.

Thx for the confirmation.

This poll is up to nearly 100 posts and no inappropriate juvenile locker room jokes yet. :thumbsup:

Only two venomous snakes in Maryland. Copperhead and Timber Rattler.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thx for the confirmation.

This poll is up to nearly 100 posts and no inappropriate juvenile locker room jokes yet. :thumbsup:

Only two venomous snakes in Maryland. Copperhead and Timber Rattler.

Wrong again. As posted in the beginning (post 64 I believe), the Eastern Hognose Snake is venomous.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Wrong again. As posted in the beginning (post 64 I believe), the Eastern Hognose Snake is venomous.

If you're going to split hairs on the hognose, then you'll have to include garter and ringneck snakes too. Fact of the matter is, classification of venomous vs non-venomous in snakes is similar to our classification in spiders. ALL spiders are venomous, but only a very few pose any threat to humans with their venom. Same can be said for many species of snake. Which is why herpetologists classify the Eastern Timber Rattler and Copperhead as the only extant venomous snakes in MD. They are the ones that pose a threat to all humans and whose venom works on us in the intended way.

The venom of the Eastern Hognose is amphibian specific, and while mild to severe allergic reactions can occur, they are very, very rare and not a product of the venom's neurotoxins attacking the nervous system but rather a chance side-effect of the body's immune system. Same goes for the ring neck and garter snakes in the region. Garter snake bites almost always result in redness and itching due to the body attacking the venom that it injects if allowed to gnaw on you enough.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I remember reading a news story in the early 80's of a child in California being bitten by a garter snake that held on & couldn't be removed for quite a while. The child was taken to the hospital with symptoms typical of a venomous snakebite

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I hate to say it but the DNR is incorrect. There is another venomous snake in Maryland, however, since it's rear fanged, it's not usually dangerous for human adults. Their venom could cause issues if the snake were to bite and chew on a small child. If they were to hit you in a defensive strike, there's probably very little chance of being envenomated. They catch their prey and chew on them to envenomate them. They do not release enough venom to hurt an adult, but a small child could be sickened if the snake is allowed to chew on a hand or foot.

The Eastern Hognose Snake.

Where did you find this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom