• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    An interesting article about the USDA’s National Wildlife Research Center report on the spread of the feral pig populations.

http://gizmodo.com/wild-pigs-are-taking-over-america-and-your-county-is-ne-1791931784

... every county in the continental United States will have a feral pig problem in the next 30 to 50 years—that is, unless the spread is controlled by killing the pigs.
    vnhexvo7rkokt5jhvqq6.jpg

I welcome our future pig overlords and their delicious meats. :innocent0

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I've heard the crop damage that these pigs can cause is just crazy. Maybe they should be considered nuisance animals and just have open season across the country. I'm not sure if that is already the case, but I saw a special on the outdoor channel where they had to get permission from DNR to hunt the animals at night. If they are such a problem, who cares when you kill them. Just kill as many as you can as quick as you can.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Looking at the map, it appears the feral pig population has honored the MD-PA border by not crossing into MD. They must know that MDS members would wipe them out?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Somewhere there's a video that shows how fast they've taken over territory due to their prolific breeding. It's pretty interesting.

There's a political parallel here that I'll leave for another thread.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've heard the crop damage that these pigs can cause is just crazy. Maybe they should be considered nuisance animals and just have open season across the country. I'm not sure if that is already the case, but I saw a special on the outdoor channel where they had to get permission from DNR to hunt the animals at night. If they are such a problem, who cares when you kill them. Just kill as many as you can as quick as you can.

It goes well beyond crop damage. They kill entire ecosystems very rapidly. They'll kill a several-acre woodlot in a matter of months due to the fact that they root in the ground for food. The expose tree roots which then become damaged or diseased killing off the mature trees. They also eat and trample understory to the point that the land becomes virtually sterile so long as they're around.

MD DNR has basically given "shoot on sight" orders for feral pigs for years now. It's not a written order, but it's considered open season as they are nuisance animals. To quote the Cumberland Times News:
    If a hunter is on his own land or on land where he has permission to hunt and knows that a pig isn’t supposed to be there, then 150 grains of lead moving at 2,600 feet per second or so should be directed its way.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm having flashbacks of the damn gruney pigs in Germany right now. We were told they were a protected species and even if we killed one in self-defense we could be subject to a pretty heavy fine if we got caught. The problem was, female boars were extremely aggressive while attending to their young and you basically had two choices if being attacked: 1) climb a tree, 2) protect yourself with 'unauthorized' ammunition. Most of us took the risk. I always kept a seven round magazine of 230gr FMJ with me when we were on maneuvers in the forests of Germany.

My rule of thumb, though was when I saw dis:

hwdMbTV.jpg

I was ready to climb dis:

EHRjlaX.jpg

Never had to shoot one but my platoon sergeant did. We ate well that night.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The only area in the northeast that has feral oinkers is New Hampshire. The punchline is that hunting feral pigs in New Hampshire is verboten because of a law from the 1800's that mandates that any pigs not penned are assumed to be someone's property, so you can't shoot them.

ETA:

http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/new-hampshire/

There is definitely a huntable population of true blood wild boar in New Hampshire. Wild Boar can be found Grafton, Cheshire, and Sullivan Counties. Hunting wild boar in New Hampshire is a little bizarre, with hazy rules. For instance, wild boar are considered escaped private property running at large. It is assumed that the wild boar belong to a private hunting association called Blue Mountain Forest Association. This group restricts its members to just 30, and only accepts new members when they die or they leave the association. The fenced in preserve is over 20,000 acres in size with a 12 foot high fence that travels 36 miles. The preserve was created by Austin Corbin, a bank baron, in the 1800’s. He wanted to create a preserve where all the animals could live harmoniously.

SW686

MDS Supporter
    Jul 25, 2012
    Mmmmmm... pig meat.

Attachments

• Mmmmm.... pig....jpg
      Mmmmm.... pig....jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 1,158

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm having flashbacks of the damn gruney pigs in Germany right now. We were told they were a protected species and even if we killed one in self-defense we could be subject to a pretty heavy fine if we got caught. The problem was, female boars were extremely aggressive while attending to their young and you basically had two choices if being attacked: 1) climb a tree, 2) protect yourself with 'unauthorized' ammunition. Most of us took the risk. I always kept a seven round magazine of 230gr FMJ with me when we were on maneuvers in the forests of Germany.

My rule of thumb, though was when I saw dis:

hwdMbTV.jpg

I was ready to climb dis:

EHRjlaX.jpg

Never had to shoot one but my platoon sergeant did. We ate well that night.

More than once while strolling through the forest paths south of Stuttgart Germany my family had to freeze when a sow came out of the woods and stopped on the path, soon to be followed by a handful of piglets. Never saw a boar, which I suppose is a good thing.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    More than once while strolling through the forest paths south of Stuttgart Germany my family had to freeze when a sow came out of the woods and stopped on the path, soon to be followed by a handful of piglets. Never saw a boar, which I suppose is a good thing.

I swear, it seemed like 2-3x per year I'd read in the newspaper about some old Berliner who would take their little dachshund out for a morning walk in the Grunewald...and never come back. They usually found what was left of them a day or two later after the pigs had gotten their fill.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    This is why we need AR-15s .... Seriously (No Joking). It's the only sporting rifle that I know of that can be outfitted for hog hunting.

Totally agree. Feral hogs are not something to mess with unless you've got some firepower.

I'm planning at some point this year to visit some friends in TX to do some hog hunting. I was supposed to go to Wichita Falls, TX last year but the friend I was going with passed-away suddenly/unexpectedly. He told me that I didn't even need a hunting license in TX to shoot feral hogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom