• outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    True. I think the OP used "horns" as a slang terminology.

Horns are basically hair (chemically speaking), whereas antlers are made of bone. :)

Yep, the slang thing is why I mentioned the magazine/clip thingy.:thumbsup:
    I still catch myself calling them horns, but I never use clips.:nono: :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Too bad about that buck. What a nice deer.
    I would love a shed or even a partial shed if anyone finds one and doesn't need it. I don't care about the squirrels but I have a small project and need one or two antlers. PM me if you have any. I will pick it up if I can get to you.

PM sent.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    :)When a buck rubs a tree does he horn it or antler it? The use of the word horn to describe antlers is just "Speak". Over here in the woods we tend to avoid as many vowels as possible when nouns are used. We purposefully do not want to over complex the issue with unnecessary niceties like demonstrative or compound pro-nouns. Most particularly, such garish or indefinative pro nouns such as antler are sometimes intentionally not used which of course do not always positively identify the particular buck that has cast horns (antlers) first.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    For all you guys here that have been successful shed hunters, When is a good time to get out in the woods expect to have a good chance at finding something...My wife and I went out a few times last year but didn't find a sing shed. We didn't go out until the first or second weekend in March though, was that too late? I know some deer carry their antlers longer but, Im just searching for some insight to see when you guys have had the best "luck"

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    :)When a buck rubs a tree does he horn it or antler it? The use of the word horn to describe antlers is just "Speak". Over here in the woods we tend to avoid as many vowels as possible when nouns are used. We purposefully do not want to over complex the issue with unnecessary niceties like demonstrative or compound pro-nouns. Most particularly, such garish or indefinative pro nouns such as antler are sometimes intentionally not used which of course do not always positively identify the particular buck that has cast horns (antlers) first.

He rubs it.
    Oh and you're heads got to be hurting after that speech.:lol2:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I always leave big heads like this in the woods for the squirrels to chew on and ruin, they need to eat too
    I hope you are joking....squirrels are carriers of many diseases and ticks that carry lyme disease...a nice rack like that should be salvaged not let go to waste by letting stupid squirrels eat them.

For all you guys here that have been successful shed hunters, When is a good time to get out in the woods expect to have a good chance at finding something...My wife and I went out a few times last year but didn't find a sing shed. We didn't go out until the first or second weekend in March though, was that too late? I know some deer carry their antlers longer but, Im just searching for some insight to see when you guys have had the best "luck"

Here the bucks start loosing them late Dec into Jan. but snow typically prevents anyone from getting out much to look for them so for me its once I can get out on the trails and when my atv doesnt get stuck...typically in March time frame. I still find them in the fall during hunting season if no one else finds them or picks them up. Its just a matter of stumbling on them...I usually find a few each season.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I usually have my best luck around end of March to the beginning of April. My best spots to look generally are winter wheat fields. If you get to them before they get too tall, use binoculars and let them do your walking. If you catch it just right, you can go from one shed to the next.

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    True. I think the OP used "horns" as a slang terminology.

Horns are basically hair (chemically speaking), whereas antlers are made of bone. :)

I have some information related to the subject:
    ant·ler: one of the branched horns on the head of an adult (usually male) deer, which are made of bone and are grown and cast off annually.

With that being said,
    In the many miles I have walked shed hunting I have collected over 43 spike HORNS off of both whitetail and sika deer. that's probably more single shed spike HORNS than shed ANTLERS you have found period. Before you start trying to act educated on a forum do your research. Though it doesn't take much intelligence to find a shed horn, I have successfully passed Calculus AB, BC, and AP courses and using ordinary differential equations can find out the number of points on each antler, and find their derivatives as well. Education involving shed horns and antlers. It's a win win!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I usually have my best luck around end of March to the beginning of April. My best spots to look generally are winter wheat fields. If you get to them before they get too tall, use binoculars and let them do your walking. If you catch it just right, you can go from one shed to the next.

Should be easier in MD since the density of deer is so high...They are fun and interesting to find since you may have not ever seen the particular deer or caught pics of it on camera.

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Late feb early march, into turkey season. all deer have primarily shed at this point and you wont scare deer still holding horns or antlers out of the area. with that being said ive found a 78 7/8 6 point shed jan. 3 and I have also seen a spooked buck drop a 15 inch forked antler during turkey season. it all depends

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I do it to keep busy during the off season, picture attached is 1 seasons worth. got 4 or 5 more tubs of equal size. fun hobby

Attachments

• horns.jpg
      horns.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 593

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ant·ler: one of the branched horns on the head of an adult (usually male) deer, which are made of bone and are grown and cast off annually.

With that being said,
    In the many miles I have walked shed hunting I have collected over 43 spike HORNS off of both whitetail and sika deer. that's probably more single shed spike HORNS than shed ANTLERS you have found period. Before you start trying to act educated on a forum do your research. Though it doesn't take much intelligence to find a shed horn, I have successfully passed Calculus AB, BC, and AP courses and using ordinary differential equations can find out the number of points on each antler, and find their derivatives as well. Education involving shed horns and antlers. It's a win win!!

That's too funny! Where in my text did I say or imply I was God's gift to 'shed horn' hunting?
    As for numbers, I've done OK. I was not reared on a farm, so you may have me there.
    Now to the matter of counting points on my horns. I doesn't use the calculus to counts them points. I gets by just a using my fingers and toes. As far as leaving the big horns in the woods for the squirrels, I usually leave the spike-horns and the broken up ones for them. The big ones, I bring home. Some I give to friends who ask for them and sometimes I give them to my personal pet squirrels what lives in my trees.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

Thanks Ill keep that in mind this year

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

With that being said,
    DBD, I don't think you could find your tree stand if it was dark out let alone that many cast antlers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom