• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdhog

Feb 9, 2019
    How tight should AR-15 carry handle thumb screws be? 1/4 turn past hand tight? 1/2 turn past? Full turn past?

Do I need to get out a torque wrench? People complain on the internets of these things moving around with heavy shooting. I don't want my carry handle moving around once I zero it.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    No torque wrench....finger tight but not excessive....I've never had a problem with one. Check it every now and then and make sure it's still tight...

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just put one on an AR and set it to 35 or 40 inch pounds IIRC.

Now for a thread jack

I went to sight in the AR mentioned above and had to crank the windage on the carry handle to the right a fair amount to zero at 50 yards. Did I do something wrong when installing the carry handle?

vipor5

Jul 9, 2020
    Maryland, Cheltenham
    Most come with a locking star washer and if not nice and tight with some blue lock tight or both. I think you have a better chance of messing up the selector lever detente spring than messing up the grip screw torque.

A manufacturer purchased grip screw comes with locking compound on the threads.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/proper-pistol-grip-installation/ just so you see it from a manufacturer. Just don't tell anyone you used this info as they were formerly known as Bushmaster enterprises, because then you might not be able to use the info in Maryland. HaHa

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom