• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t read the fine print so not sure about what’s in the package. But one could build a dandy AR for those prices.

Agreed, some folks don't want to build their own... I did not either until I realized building AR is like playing with legos...

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Agreed, some folks don't want to build their own... I did not either until I realized building AR is like playing with legos...

Lol gets pricey quick , especially when you like certain companies and their parts. Then again can also be very cheap if wanted :).

What’s no question, is that it’s a ton of fun to do.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lol gets pricey quick , especially when you like certain companies and their parts. Then again can also be very cheap if wanted :).

What’s no question, is that it’s a ton of fun to do.

I love it because I get exactly what I want.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Harry, at Gun Connection, turned me on to American Defense Manufacturing, for their optics mounts.

When I was preparing for my first build, ADM offered a gray cerakoted lower/upper/rail combo with full ambidextrous controls, that I ended up selecting as my chassis. It looks great, shoots great, and I love it.

I'm very interested in their UIC 9 PCC, as it offers both LRBHO and ambi controls. The main thing that's been holding me back is the cost. ($2K)

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/product-p/ad-uic-9-carbine.htm

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I love it because I get exactly what I want.

AMEN!!!! Here is my latest build (please don't let my use of a brace trigger anyone):

1. Centurion Arms matched receiver set. $180 after LEO/MIL discount ($210 after transfer and shipping) (included FWD assist and ejection port cover)
    2. Colt FBI HRT Barrel $250 (shaved down A2 Sight post / gas block myself)
    3. Giessele REBCG $200 after LEO/MIL discount
    4. SOLG Blaster Guts with Fighting Trigger $80 on sale at PA
    5. ADM 10.75" Rail $140
    6. FWD Control Design Winter trigger guard $15
    7. SBA4 Brace $65 (used but like new)
    8. FWD Control Design KeyMO Muzzle Brake $85 after LEO/MIL Discount
    9. V Seven 2055 A5 H2 (5.30z) Premium Receiver Extension kit $143 was on sale at AR15SAFESPACE (great f-ing deal - should have bought two)
    10. Anti walk pins $20
    11. LMT fixed front sight $50 Ebay (used like new)
    12. Matech Picatinny Rear Ranging Aperture Flip Up Sight $65 Ebay (used like new)
    13. Hogue grip $20
    14. Shim kit $15
    15. PWS Castle Nut $23
    16. Gas buster charging handle $75 on sale

Total: $1591 (yes gets expensive fast - but so much fun)

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
      IMG_0177.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 321
    • IMG_0176.jpg
      IMG_0176.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 311

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    AMEN!!!! Here is my latest build (please don't let my use of a brace trigger anyone):

1. Centurion Arms matched receiver set. $180 after LEO/MIL discount ($210 after transfer and shipping) (included FWD assist and ejection port cover)
    5. ADM 10.75" Rail $140
    9. V Seven 2055 A5 H2 (5.30z) Premium Receiver Extension kit $143 was on sale at AR15SAFESPACE (great f-ing deal - should have bought two)
    10. Anti walk pins $20
    12. Matech Picatinny Rear Ranging Aperture Flip Up Sight $65 Ebay (used like new)
    13. Hogue grip $20
    14. Shim kit $15
    15. PWS Castle Nut $23

Looks awesome dude. Like it a lot.

That’s exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post, wasn’t implying anything smart ass. I tend to have expensive taste myself lol.

Just recently started building my first “build”. So much fun, and as doc said, you get exactly what you want. In my case I end up spending close to what a factory rifle would cost due to previously mentioned taste in parts :)

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

5. ADM 10.75" Rail $140
    10. Anti walk pins $20
    13. Hogue grip $20
    14. Shim kit $15
    15. PWS Castle Nut $23

Wow the discount from geissele is sweet. I think they retail for 295. What are your thoughts so far on that bcg? I’ve been considering one myself.

What’s “enhanced” from say a standard colt bcg?

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Wow the discount from geissele is sweet. I think they retail for 295. What are your thoughts so far on that bcg? I’ve been considering one myself.

What’s “enhanced” from say a standard colt bcg?

There is a lot that went into making the REHBCG, especially their material and coating. Ever since watching Chads videos I’ve become a gas key staking snob. The BCG is awesome but I felt they could have done a better job staking the gas key. I bet you that my Colt, SOLGW and this one will be around a lot longer than I will. I am certain I will fail before these BCGs will.

From their site:

The Reliability Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group (REBCG) is a 5.56mm full-mass, full-auto rated M16/M4 bolt carrier group manufactured in Geissele’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in North Wales, PA. The carrier is machined from mil-spec 8620 steel, and features a properly torqued and staked, chrome lined, gas key. The cam pin is machined from an advanced medical steel typically used to produce medical instrumentation known as H13, it is then coated with Nanoweapon (Chrome-Nitride) for maximum corrosion and wear resistance. The extended upper rails on the carrier also provide much greater stability and dramatically increase feeding reliability. The Carrier is coated with Nanoweapon for maxium corrosion and wear resistance.

The Geissele Stressproof Bolt is made from Carpenter 158, however this is not your typical material spec’d by the US Government. Since Geissele wanted to take it to the next level, our engineers worked directly with the Carpenter Steel metallurgists in Reading PA, to produce a special heat of material known as Carpenter 158+. This material is cleaner with less impurities, ultimately making it stronger and more consistent. We did not stop there, we decided to forge the bolt. Using the same process used to produce upper and lower receivers, a forged bolt manipulates the grain structure of the metal and yields a bolt capable of 5 times the life of a mil-spec bolt. Each bolt is then rigorously inspected, high pressure tested, mag particle inspected and coated with Nanoweapon for maximum corrosion and wear resistance.

Nanoweapon is a family of coatings similar to DSL (Durable Solid Lubricant) that was developed by Picatinny Arsenal (US ARMY ARDEC), and is only available exclusively from Geissele Automatics. Our engineers worked for over 3 years with the research and development company that worked with Picatinny to develop the coating in order to fine tune it into what it is today, making it the pinnacle of coatings for firearm components. No other coating on the market can provide the same level of corrosion, wear, and abrasion resistance as Nanoweapon. The coating is applied at low temperatures so it does not affect the metallurgy of the part, and has a surface hardness equivalent of 82HRC. At that hardness, it is harder than sand, easily rejecting carbon and making cleaning a breeze, on top of allowing the firearm to operate normally with less lubrication.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    There is a lot that went into making the REHBCG, especially their material and coating. Ever since watching Chads videos I’ve become a gas key staking snob. The BCG is awesome but I felt they could have done a better job staking the gas key. I bet you that my Colt, SOLGW and this one will be around a lot longer than I will. I am certain I will fail before these BCGs will.

From their site:

The Reliability Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group (REBCG) is a 5.56mm full-mass, full-auto rated M16/M4 bolt carrier group manufactured in Geissele’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in North Wales, PA. The carrier is machined from mil-spec 8620 steel, and features a properly torqued and staked, chrome lined, gas key. The cam pin is machined from an advanced medical steel typically used to produce medical instrumentation known as H13, it is then coated with Nanoweapon (Chrome-Nitride) for maximum corrosion and wear resistance. The extended upper rails on the carrier also provide much greater stability and dramatically increase feeding reliability. The Carrier is coated with Nanoweapon for maxium corrosion and wear resistance.

The Geissele Stressproof Bolt is made from Carpenter 158, however this is not your typical material spec’d by the US Government. Since Geissele wanted to take it to the next level, our engineers worked directly with the Carpenter Steel metallurgists in Reading PA, to produce a special heat of material known as Carpenter 158+. This material is cleaner with less impurities, ultimately making it stronger and more consistent. We did not stop there, we decided to forge the bolt. Using the same process used to produce upper and lower receivers, a forged bolt manipulates the grain structure of the metal and yields a bolt capable of 5 times the life of a mil-spec bolt. Each bolt is then rigorously inspected, high pressure tested, mag particle inspected and coated with Nanoweapon for maximum corrosion and wear resistance.

Nanoweapon is a family of coatings similar to DSL (Durable Solid Lubricant) that was developed by Picatinny Arsenal (US ARMY ARDEC), and is only available exclusively from Geissele Automatics. Our engineers worked for over 3 years with the research and development company that worked with Picatinny to develop the coating in order to fine tune it into what it is today, making it the pinnacle of coatings for firearm components. No other coating on the market can provide the same level of corrosion, wear, and abrasion resistance as Nanoweapon. The coating is applied at low temperatures so it does not affect the metallurgy of the part, and has a surface hardness equivalent of 82HRC. At that hardness, it is harder than sand, easily rejecting carbon and making cleaning a breeze, on top of allowing the firearm to operate normally with less lubrication.

That last part is a tough sell. It sounds alot like some of these other companies that talk about magical coatings.

There's a reason why the better brands stick with phosphate.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    That last part is a tough sell. It sounds alot like some of these other companies that talk about magical coatings.

There's a reason why the better brands stick with phosphate.

I bet you’re right, the price was hard to say no to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom