Shipping ammo now requires hazmat charge???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bought some ammo from a guy and asked that he ship it to me. He went to drop off the package, and was told he needed an account at Fedex to ship. He then checked online, and said he found out that they (UPS and Fedex) are now charging a hazmat fee for ammo? Can anyone else confirm this?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Why not put it in a larger box that is not marked "AMMUNITION"..?

Or just wrap it with heavy brown paper...

"What's in the box ?"...

"Some pieces of brass"...

Hope this is helpful...

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I just got a package from Lucky Gunner - didn't see any fees or charges for this. Maybe it's just local or personal shipping offices? I'll watch......

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    Have not heard of this problem. I get ammo dropped off (maybe if I tried to ship I would have a different opinion) on a regular basis and have not noticed any Hazmat Stickers of any kind on my boxes.?

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Had a delivery Wednesday...no Hazmat fee. The boxes said "Small Arms Ammunition - 1000 Rounds" so they definitely knew what they were shipping and there weren't any problems. I think they are giving him bad info, or I got lucky.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Had a delivery Wednesday...no Hazmat fee. The boxes said "Small Arms Ammunition - 1000 Rounds" so they definitely knew what they were shipping and there weren't any problems. I think they are giving him bad info, or I got lucky.
    I agree. I just received 2000 round from BulkAmmo.com by FedEx Home. Saw no references of a Hazmat fee.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I got 300 rounds of 10mm from Underwood Ammo last Wednesday. No haz mat fee and only the ORM-D label on the outside.

Something fishy perhaps?

Last edited:

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    its a cosumer commodity period

Attachments

• ORM-D.jpg
      ORM-D.jpg
      5 KB · Views: 248

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I seem to remember seeing a hazmat fee with some online vendors
    I think it's part of the cost in most online vendors and they just don't say it's a separate charge.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

"What's in the box ?"...

"Some pieces of brass"...

LOL. When I moved, the movers would not touch any of my ammo cans. When they asked what was in all the well-taped, small and very heavy boxes next to the ammo cans, I said "sewing machine parts." :innocent0 Somehow I managed to keep a straight face until I got out of the room.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    Material marked "ORM-D" and shipped by surface transportation does not require hazardous shipping papers, simply an ORM-D and proper shipping name marking on the box. This marking can either be in the form of a ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle. When transported by air, ORM-D shipments require an ORM-D-AIR marking and full hazardous shipping papers.

Both UPS Ground and FedEx Ground do not require a hazardous shipping contract to ship ORM-D packages except to Alaska and Hawaii.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Naw, at least not yet, but I noticed plenty of dicreptancies between creating a shipping lable online versus going to a shipping place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom