• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    So I guess around 10-12 years ago I was hurting for some money. I rarely ever sell my guns but this particular rifle I sold to a old co worker and friend with the hopes I would be able to buy it back one day.

I originally bought it to go boar hunting but ended up using my bow instead. It was some powerful deer medicine though.

Anyway My friend Don retired a while back and I kinda fell out of contact with him until last week I decided to check in on him during all this corona madness. Eventually the conversation led to the marlin and he asked me if I was ready to get it back.
    I just happened to be in a position to make him a reasonable offer for it and a few days later it was back in my possession.

Despite some scratches that where in it when I bought it, it still has a nice stock and forearm. Bluing is just about spotless and I forgot how nice the trigger pull was on it. It’s JM stamped and the numbers put it at 1981 manufactured.

Just have to pick up some dies for it and I can’t wait to start experimenting with my cast bullets. I’m not sure why I went with the 444 when I was looking for a big bore lever and not with the 4570 but I’m glad I did.

Attachments

• 6F9F0FD1-3C51-43E9-96D0-4D43C9562AE8.jpg
      6F9F0FD1-3C51-43E9-96D0-4D43C9562AE8.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 333

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I had one some years ago...a real thumper. I shot it alongside a buddy's Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum...the Remington's recoil was sharp but was over quickly. The Marlin just kept shoving me back...hard.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I just picked up a Ruger super Blackhawk last week so I’m feeling all old time nostalgic lately. Getting into reloading has spurred my interest in strait walls for some reason.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Back I the day, we used to cut down small trees with a buddies 444 marlin.

It’s funny you say that. The first deer I killed with it, I shot through a small tree and still hit the deer. I was sitting on the side of a steep hill and the deer came from the right of me. I had to shoot left handed and didn’t see the tree in my scope. My second shot hit it in the neck on the run and dropped it. Because I didn’t shoulder it right, the scope bashed me in the eye. When I walked up to the deer it had two holes in it. While collecting my backpack and all I noticed a small tree about 2 inches in diameter with a perfect hole trough it about 10 feet away.

I got lucky that day but I switched to a red dot sight shortly after that for deer hunting.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice rifle!

I have one and it is a shoulder killer, got it off someone here. Still like it though.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The best thing about the 444 Marlin is the same bullet works for your 44 Mag and 44 SPC also.

How can you not appreciate that convenience and simplicity for reloading in the backcountry?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’ve got one that was made in 1979. One of my favorite hunting rifles. I’ve been having a heck of a time finding the right ammo for it though.

It shot great with the older Hornady Leverevolution ammo. But now I can only find the newer stuff that only works in non-micro groove barrels.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Marlin's quality of the 444 is not what it use to be looking at the ones at the range compared to the earlier versions.
    The trigger was gold plated, the butt pad is of better quality with a white spacer along with a white spacer on the pistol grip. Notice the additional barrel ban on the tubular magazine. Both are metal and not plastic.

Attachments

• 444.jpg
      444.jpg
      134.3 KB · Views: 159

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Nice rifle!

I have one and it is a shoulder killer, got it off someone here. Still like it though.

Like the old saying it kills at both ends. Still not as bad as my 7 1/2 lbs 300 win mag I bought when I was young and my measly 243 wasn’t enough for those tuff mountain deer.

The best thing about the 444 Marlin is the same bullet works for your 44 Mag and 44 SPC also.

How can you not appreciate that convenience and simplicity for reloading in the backcountry?

I agree. I just picked up a Lee 240 gr swc bullet mold. I’m doing my reading now on sizing and gas checks. Next step is to pick some brains in the reloading threads.

I’ve got one that was made in 1979. One of my favorite hunting rifles. I’ve been having a heck of a time finding the right ammo for it though.

It shot great with the older Hornady Leverevolution ammo. But now I can only find the newer stuff that only works in non-micro groove barrels.

From what I’m understanding thus far about bullet size in the 444 is apparently the micro grooved barrels like the .432 sized bullets. I’m not sure what the factory loads are sized to now days, but maybe they could be sized around .429 or so and work better with the newer style rifling? I’m just taking a guess at it. I’m venturing into casting my own bullets so that’s a area I’m trying to learn the most I can on. When I bought the rifle the Rem 240 gr sp where the only ammo I could find and they have always done the job.

Marlin's quality of the 444 is not what it use to be looking at the ones at the range compared to the earlier versions.
    The trigger was gold plated, the butt pad is of better quality with a white spacer along with a white spacer on the pistol grip. Notice the additional barrel ban on the tubular magazine. Both are metal and not plastic.

I used a friend of mines marlin 45-70 a few years ago for driving bears up in PA. It was a newer one and I noticed it just didn’t have as solid feel in the action as my older one. Maybe it was me but it just felt cheaper.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Like the old saying it kills at both ends. Still not as bad as my 7 1/2 lbs 300 win mag I bought when I was young and my measly 243 wasn’t enough for those tuff mountain deer.

I agree. I just picked up a Lee 240 gr swc bullet mold. I’m doing my reading now on sizing and gas checks. Next step is to pick some brains in the reloading threads.

From what I’m understanding thus far about bullet size in the 444 is apparently the micro grooved barrels like the .432 sized bullets. I’m not sure what the factory loads are sized to now days, but maybe they could be sized around .429 or so and work better with the newer style rifling? I’m just taking a guess at it. I’m venturing into casting my own bullets so that’s a area I’m trying to learn the most I can on. When I bought the rifle the Rem 240 gr sp where the only ammo I could find and they have always done the job.

I used a friend of mines marlin 45-70 a few years ago for driving bears up in PA. It was a newer one and I noticed it just didn’t have as solid feel in the action as my older one. Maybe it was me but it just felt cheaper.

Difference is mine is the .444P with a short barrel and the porting doesnt do much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom