• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It has been quite a while since purchasing my last firearm.

So, somewhere prior to 2003, I had watched a movie in Timmonium at a show, and got some type of "permission to buy" at the time. The law had just changed, and this was MDs new requirement at the time.

The last time I purchased anything was a stripped lower just days prior to the 10/1/2003 go-live date of whatever law that would have made a problem of buying the lower. I assume I had to use whatever permission-to-buy-card I had at the time. (I know, very clear, huh?)
    Of course, 17+ years, and memories are worn a bit. I can't find card or anything on that permission to buy.

The current HQL process looks very different and is more expensive. I'm assuming I have to start over.

This all came about because I want to obtain a VA non-resident CCW permit.

I'm looking to go through the minimum cost and effort to get both now.
    Starting with fingerprints - I can get LiveScan fingerprints from a commercial group here locally. I know these are good for MD, but for Virginia as well?

They can also do FBI checks
    They also do MD Criminal background checks. OK for MD, how about VA?

Training -
    MD HQL has an exception for training - #6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm.
    Meaning a pistol, legally owned prior to 2003? no?
    AR Lower?

Virginia - they have on-line courses - commercially operated they will accept.
    Will they accept a current MD HQL?

Would MD take a VA CCW as substitute for training requirement?
    Would MD take an on-line course that meets VA requirements as training?

I have a 40+yo IHMSA membership card. I've been shooting since my 20s. I'm guessing that is basically worthless.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It has been quite a while since purchasing my last firearm.

Training -
    AR Lower?

Yes... ownership of a regulated firearm satisfies the training requirement for the HQL, so you don't need to worry about MD accepting the VA training. (I think the answer is no anyway, unless its some sort of combined course that satisfies both requirements).

Not sure about your other questions (regarding what VA accepts), but someone more knowledgeable will come along :).

The way things have tilted in VA recently, I would consider getting a Utah permit instead. At some point they might decide to do what PA did and stop reciprocity and issuing of non-resident permits.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Virginia uses hard print cards for the ccw app. FieldPrint can be used, but the digital prints have to be printed onto a hard card, or you take your hard cards to a law enforcement office and have an officer or sheriff print you and sign the cards. Both need appointments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It has been quite a while since purchasing my last firearm.

So, somewhere prior to 2003, I had watched a movie in Timmonium at a show, and got some type of "permission to buy" at the time. The law had just changed, and this was MDs new requirement at the time.

The last time I purchased anything was a stripped lower just days prior to the 10/1/2003 go-live date of whatever law that would have made a problem of buying the lower. I assume I had to use whatever permission-to-buy-card I had at the time. (I know, very clear, huh?)
    Of course, 17+ years, and memories are worn a bit. I can't find card or anything on that permission to buy.

The current HQL process looks very different and is more expensive. I'm assuming I have to start over.

This all came about because I want to obtain a VA non-resident CCW permit.

I'm looking to go through the minimum cost and effort to get both now.
    Starting with fingerprints - I can get LiveScan fingerprints from a commercial group here locally. I know these are good for MD, but for Virginia as well?

They can also do FBI checks
    They also do MD Criminal background checks. OK for MD, how about VA?

Training -
    AR Lower?

Virginia - they have on-line courses - commercially operated they will accept.
    Will they accept a current MD HQL?

Would MD take a VA CCW as substitute for training requirement?
    Would MD take an on-line course that meets VA requirements as training?

I have a 40+yo IHMSA membership card. I've been shooting since my 20s. I'm guessing that is basically worthless.

Any help would be appreciated.

When I got mine in 2013, it was $50 for the HQL (good for 10 years) and another $50 for the fingerprinting, which you should call ahead to see what days/times are available.

Are you a veteran? If you can find a copy of your DD-214, it will exempt you from the HQL class but, you still have to pay for the $50 for the HQL and $50 for the fingerprinting.

Once you do all that (and HQL class), it can take anywhere between a week and 30 days before you receive the card in the mail. It'll entitle you to purchase one regulated firearm every 30 days, that is, until you breakdown and get a Designated Collector license (free) that waives the 30 day purchase restriction.

Where did you shoot IHMSA? I was a member from 1982-1993. I shot regularly at Mount Sterling and Crittenden, KY.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Yes...owning a regulated firearms exempts you from training, but do you want to give them the serial # and info. about that firearm. I would take a class instead. That's backdoor registration...not cool.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yes...owning a regulated firearms exempts you from training, but do you want to give them the serial # and info. about that firearm. I would take a class instead. That's backdoor registration...not cool.

I agree 100% with that but if you bought said regulated firearm in Maryland and filled out the 77-R, they already have all that info. I would NOT give them info on an out of state, C&R or private sale (pre-mandatory background check nonsense)

<snip>The way things have tilted in VA recently, I would consider getting a Utah permit instead. At some point they might decide to do what PA did and stop reciprocity and issuing of non-resident permits.
    Yeah, VA has gone a long way this year to become the new MD. Virginal looks quick and easy right now, but Utah should be in my near future. Step by step, inch by inch...

When I got mine in 2013, it was $50 for the HQL (good for 10 years) and another $50 for the fingerprinting, which you should call ahead to see what days/times are available.

Are you a veteran? If you can find a copy of your DD-214, it will exempt you from the HQL class but, you still have to pay for the $50 for the HQL and $50 for the fingerprinting.

Once you do all that (and HQL class), it can take anywhere between a week and 30 days before you receive the card in the mail. It'll entitle you to purchase one regulated firearm every 30 days, that is, until you breakdown and get a Designated Collector license (free) that waives the 30 day purchase restriction.

Where did you shoot IHMSA? I was a member from 1982-1993. I shot regularly at Mount Sterling and Crittenden, KY.
    I've been contemplating (for YEARS now, C&R) just for transportation freedom.
    I shot IHMSA here in MD, mostly at Berwyn R&G, Ft Meade, and once somewhere down in So Md (worn memory) Never much above a 20s shooter, though.

I agree 100% with that but if you bought said regulated firearm in Maryland and filled out the 77-R, they already have all that info. I would NOT give them info on an out of state, C&R or private sale (pre-mandatory background check nonsense)
    Dubtap21 - good info on the hard fingerprint cards. I just wish they could look up all the print cards they have taken over the years.

J26sub, I was also wondering about the 77r, and that Md. had them on file anyway. I am also concerned about the backdoor registration, but it seems that horse left the barn and died of old age years ago. The question of legal private sale is just that: PRIVATE. Your point about sharing licensing info between states is a good one, though. Share as little as required. Good thought.

Thanks everyone for confirming my guesses. Among all these crazy, overlapping, and somewhat inconsistent laws, interpretive logic goes out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom