• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I am looking to get into BP, and want a revolver. I have been Googling the crap out of things, but my brain has turned to mush and stuff is blurring together. I am looking for a revolver. I have been looking at 1848 Dragoons (big suckas), 1851, 1858, and 1860 revolvers.
    1. Which model is best for a beginner?

2. I have seen brass, steel, and nickel frames? For BP, is there much difference in durability between the 3? I understand steel frames are recommended if planning to do a cylinder conversion. I may, or may not in the future, not sure, but the option is nice.

3. Brand differences. What is better, or not good? The brands I have seen are Traditions/Pietta, Uberti, some higher end Colt BP guns, and a company if I recall called Whitteny. Any that are better, or to stay away from?

4. Can you ONLY shoot round balls out of these, or can you shoot molder conical lead bullets? I am mainly looking for a .44 caliber revolver. Also considering buying BP pellets as well as just powder.

Thanks for any insight, suggestions, or tips. Have a good evening.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Ruger Old Army is a great one. Although it's not a replica of a historic revolver it's a great gun and you can even find .45ACP conversion cylinders for them. The 1858 Remington is also a great one.
    I heard brass frames can wear out if you shoot them a lot or use a conversion cylinder, but it shouldn't matter too much if you don't shoot often. I've had a little trouble trying to load conical bullets but never had any trouble with round balls.
    Have a stainless 1858 Remington, it's so easy to clean and doesn't rust or corrode.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Warning, addictive....

I have acquired a flock of them the past year. To me the 1851 Navy in 7" barrel is the most balanced as far as ergonomic and easiest to load. The 5" barrel is more ergonomic but a bear to load with the short lever and it isn't as accurate. The .44 round balls load easy with plugs to avoid the grease. I have one in .36 caliber and love to shoot it too. The 1858 and 1860 army are just too dang heavy for what they are. Accurate but heavy...

I've added a 1860 army since this pic was taken...

Personally I'd rather shoot my 1853 Enfield though...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So, I am looking to get into BP, and want a revolver. I have been Googling the crap out of things, but my brain has turned to mush and stuff is blurring together. I am looking for a revolver. I have been looking at 1848 Dragoons (big suckas), 1851, 1858, and 1860 revolvers.
    1. Which model is best for a beginner?

There's not any learning curve with any as far as shooting them is concerned. Top strap revolvers are a bit easier to break down to clean IMHO.

2. I have seen brass, steel, and nickel frames? For BP, is there much difference in durability between the 3? I understand steel frames are recommended if planning to do a cylinder conversion. I may, or may not in the future, not sure, but the option is nice.

Common knowledge is that brass works loose over time but one deceased member here claimed that they never saw one that worked loose.

Stainless steel, although not authentic is forgiving and burnt black powder is very hydroscopic and causes rust. Pyrodex will also to a lesser extent but Pyrodex 777 is not any more than smokeless. Stainless will let you get away with not immediately cleaning it after a day at the range therefore.

3. Brand differences. What is better, or not good? The brands I have seen are Traditions/Pietta, Uberti, some higher end Colt BP guns, and a company if I recall called Whitteny. Any that are better, or to stay away from?

Another vote for Ruger Old Army. They come in blued steel or stainless steel.

4. Can you ONLY shoot round balls out of these, or can you shoot molder conical lead bullets? I am mainly looking for a .44 caliber revolver. Also considering buying BP pellets as well as just powder.

You can shoot conicals. They may take up more chamber space which is usually only a factor if you want to go hunting and are trying to cram in 40 grains.

There is no true BP pellets as far as I am aware. BP usage is governed by the "corned" size, F for cannon, FF or FFF for rifles, FFF for pistols, FFFF for the pans of flintlocks. There are Pyrodex pellets but only 30 grain.

Sirex