• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sigdad

Jan 5, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    A friend just passed away 3 weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic and, like many of us, hadn't gotten his paperwork in order. In particular he hadn't done anything regarding his rather large gun collection and I have a question regarding it.

I know you guys aren't lawyers but what happens with his regulated firearms - handguns and evil black rifles. His widow never got her HQL (and I doubt she would now) so she can't "own" them - is her only option sell them to an FFL or what?

It got me thinking about my own handguns and my wife doesn't have her HQL and gave me the stinkeye when I explained the issue. I've been pushing my 26 year old daughter to get hers and after a brush with a defendant (she's a new assistant states attorney) I think she's going to do it when she can attend a class so I'll will them to her.

Thanks!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Sad state of affairs when the government feels they have to dictate who can receive estate items and who can't.

Because they know better than the people who have know each other for 20, 30, 50 or 70 years.

That said, I would defer to the opinion of the newly minted ASA.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty sure no HQL needed to "inherit" regardless willed or not. So, no HQL will not interfere with them staying in the family, however it gets worked out. The state isn't going to take them.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Federal Law references INTESTATE transfer of Firearms.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

The OP inasmuch stated the deceased didn't have a will, so the widow becomes the owner of the firearms.

The OP inasmuch stated the deceased didn't have a will, so the widow becomes the owner of the firearms.

Without a will, wouldn't she just assume all property under Maryland intestate property laws?

OP- I'm sure some attorneys will chime in, but the general consensus is she can legally keep them.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Would have been nice if I knew this with all the estate bull I'm dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom