• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    Any opinions on either of these and which you may possibly have heard have issues to be aware of. Both are priced within $100 or so of each other so it is really a wash on which one is purchased.

I have owned several Armalites in the past but seem to remember rumors of quality issues lately. DPMS seems to be a Love Hate issue, and having never owned one I have no experience to speak of with them.

Thanks

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks guys. I was thinking mag availability and the few pounds before optics etc may be a deciding factor in favor of the DPMS

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    Any opinions on the 2" barrel difference between 18" and 20" on these two. My eyes are old so 600-700 is my total limit now. I recon 18" for that would be sufficient. You?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    From what i have read 18" is the optimum length for 308/762x51 as far as burn rate...20" will eek out alittle more velocity but not much...unless u are critical of the numbers...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    L.F.

If you decide on one, get an adjustable Gas Block. It seems like everyone is overporting .308 Barrels on AR's now. An overgassed .308 AR will not be enjoyable to shoot and they are VERY unreliable when overgassed. ESPECIALLY if you add a suppressor in the future.

The REPR DPMS is a neat gun.

Install a Tubb Chrome Silicone Flatwire Action Spring and a SLR Rifleworks CLick Adjustable Gas Block and it will really be a sweet setup.

I would go with a longer barrel for a 600 yard gun.

If you ever have any reliability issues send the upper to me and Ill tune it up for you.

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    Bolts, Gunny, Chad, thank you for the inputs. I picked up the DPMS and am sourcing the Tubb Chrome Silicone Flatwire Action Spring and a SLR Rifleworks CLick Adjustable Gas Block now. Chad, if I have issues I will get ahold of you and pack it in a box for you to tune it. I appreciate the offer and once I have a chance to get it to a long range location I will see if my eyes are any good at 600.....I may have over estimated my abilities by a few feet. O_o"

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    18 inches is the perfect length IMO

I briefly had the SR762 from ruger, but the 16 inch barrel just seemed to be wasting the potential of the round. 18 inches is just about where you reach the point of diminishing returns, and it is still a very handy length.

I ended up going with the M&P-10 because it had a really really nice melonited 5r rifled barrel at 18 inches, which nothing else in that price range had at the time.

Screen-shot-2012-06-05-at-1.59.51-AM.png

Lunatic Fringe

I Know You're Out There
    Apr 12, 2010
    Florida
    18 inches is the perfect length IMO

I briefly had the SR762 from ruger, but the 16 inch barrel just seemed to be wasting the potential of the round. 18 inches is just about where you reach the point of diminishing returns, and it is still a very handy length.

I ended up going with the M&P-10 because it had a really really nice melonited 5r rifled barrel at 18 inches, which nothing else in that price range had at the time.

Screen-shot-2012-06-05-at-1.59.51-AM.png

Thanks amoebicmagician. That chart helps put things into perspective as well as your experience with a 16". 16" just seems awful short, even if it is only 2". I have multiple ARs of varying lengths so if I need to run around inside a building I could always grab one of them or an AK. All of the 308's I have are Bolt Action and I figured it was time I got an AR-10. I don't "need" it, but....I sure do "want" it so I picked one up.

Thanks all for the input!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a 20" LR 308 Classic HBAR and an 18" HBAR AR-15. Both have A2 stocks. The AR-15 has an AR 223 3x9 scope and MK 12 free float handguard. The LR-308 has a SPARC dot with magnifier and GI handguard. The 20" LR is about 1/2 pound heavier than the AR and shoots well offhand. Its still a 20" barrel but not at all bad to handle. Both are definitely not a light barreled 16" 223. I have the free float for the LR-308 and am awaiting the wrench to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom